Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 550687 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Slow Your Roll
« Reply #1950 on: November 24, 2014, 09:38:31 pm »

Oh, I know you can get it to ferment but the result was the most vile thing I've ever tasted. Perfect for university freshmen, but even I'm not that cruel.

How long did you let it age? A lot of wines are really foul if you don't let them sit for at least 6 months, preferably a year or more.
Well, I only let it age 3 months after fermentation before I gave it a swig and vowed "Never again.". I then marked all the bottles and did not open them for about 3 years, when I was disposing of all my failed projects - the odor when I opened them was indescribably awful, and I did not taste it to confirm.

Most likely I failed to properly sterilize things, if I'm being fair.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: November 25, 2014, 12:53:32 am »

Yeah, sterilisation and temp control are kind of vital. Still, good on you for trying, but I'll admit mushroom is not something I particularly enjoy as is, let alone fermented mushroom. I guess I'm not suitably dwarven enough :P
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: November 26, 2014, 02:47:52 pm »

I made Thanksgiving Lasagna today. It's pretty good!

Spoiler: Vague Recipe (click to show/hide)
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: November 27, 2014, 03:08:47 pm »

Had a wonderful Thanksgiving for two:

Corned beef brisket (cooked to perfection by my significant other -- meat just melts in your mouth)
Bourbon mashed sweet potatoes with glazed pecans (made by yours truly -- recipe below)
Steamed haricots vert
Bavarian sauerkraut
Mashed potatoes
Spiced apple cider

Not exactly a traditional thanksgiving spread, but damn good nonetheless.

RedKing's Bourbon Mashed Sweet Potatoes

You will need:
3 pounds sweet potatoes (since these will be mashed rather than individual potatoes, this is a good opportunity to use the long skinny ones or the nubby bits)
4-5 tbsp butter
4-5 tbsp bourbon (don't skimp -- get the good stuff. I use Woodford Reserve, but could be done with Maker's Mark or any other respectable label. Cheap bourbon will leave a burnt taste.)
2 tsp vanilla extract
4-5 tbsp brown sugar
pecans (optional -- I used about 2.5oz of glazed pecans) visible

Start by peeling and dicing the sweet potatoes, then bake at 375F until fork-tender (about 45-60 minutes -- smaller cubes will cook faster)

Once the potatoes are cooked, transfer to a pot and place over low heat.
Add butter and mix gently.
Once the butter is melted, add the brown sugar and mix gently.
Once the sugar is mostly melted, add the bourbon and vanilla.
If you want the pecans, go ahead and add them now.
Use a potato masher and mash vigorously until an even, mostly smooth consistency is achieved. Because these are sweet potatoes, there will be some fibers to the texture, but that's fine.

If a bit dry, add another tbsp of butter and mix in. If the flavor is a bit bland, add 1/2 tsp salt and mix. If you want more "wow" factor, add more bourbon ;)

When they're done right the flavor will be very smooth and rich without being heavy or cloying.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: November 27, 2014, 07:11:58 pm »

I must admit... I do not get the point of adding sugar to sweet potatoes, they're plenty sweet as is with just a little butter. It's like pumpkin. In Aus, these are resolutely *savoury* ingredients, seeing them dessertified is just mystifying.

Cultural differences I guess.

In other news, although we dont celebrate thanksgiving down under, coincidentally enough, this weekend will involve copious amounts of food. Current planned list for the sides at the BBQ on my end is

* Blueberry pie
* Raspberry pie
* Tomato soup
* Colombian salt potatoes
* Fresh bread

While my housemate is of course repeating his crowd favourite jujeh kebabs.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: November 28, 2014, 02:24:30 am »

Ramen with vietnamese fresh pepper puree sauce? Yes please.

Ramen with salted un-distilled saké? Pretty good, kinda sweet though.

Ramen with Lousianan fermented pepper sauce? NO GO NO GO ABORT ABORT ABORT ABO-*psshhhhh* [transmission lost]

bonus points if you can name all three condiments
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: November 28, 2014, 10:18:47 am »

I only know Sriracha and Tabasco, and the latter is amazing with ramen thank you very much.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: November 28, 2014, 10:48:49 am »

« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 08:13:33 am by penguinofhonor »

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: November 28, 2014, 11:33:09 am »

As far as I can tell, sake isn't distilled so un-distilled sake would just be sake.

You're right. Distilled sake is called shochu. (Well, not really, but close enough a comparison.)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1959 on: November 28, 2014, 02:29:48 pm »

Well, my ability to make any of my daily progress on NaNoWriMo is currently impaired by the cold season's first batch of svařák (or mulled wine, as it's known in other places). So very delicious. So very drunk-making.

In case anyone missed the recipe last winter, it goes like this:
1. Get a bottle of cabernet suavignon. It doesn't have to be expensive, but don't get the really cheap stuff. It makes a big difference.
2. Pour a little of the wine in a small pot. Maybe half a cup or so?
3. Add a whole cinnamon stick, a few cloves, a few cardamom seeds, a piece of star anise, a piece of allspice, a few big spoonfulls of your favorite sugar, and the peel from a small orange. Or as many of those ingredients as you're able to find, really. Whatever you've got on hand is probably fine.
4. Bring it to a boil and let it simmer until it's all bubbles, getting thick and syrupy.
5. Pour in the rest of the wine and heat it up, but do not boil it, or you'll lose the delicious alcohol and everyone will hate you.
6. Serve hot with orange wedges.

If you'll excuse me, I'm off to drunkenly write the climactic scene of my novel. What could possibly go wrong?

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: November 28, 2014, 02:41:00 pm »

+1 to mulled wine. Best drink for those cold winter nights. I think that's almost exactly how we make it too.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: November 29, 2014, 01:00:42 pm »

I made those pumpkin cheesecake bars posted a while back. They taste quite like pumpkin pie with nuts on them. Which is good, especially since I think I heard my stepdad say that the regular pumpkin pie my mom made may have made him sick. I haven't tried it, but kudos to my mom for trying to poison him, I guess.

Oh, and I've been growing some chives over the summer, and cut some for Thanksgiving. They tasted pretty good, although they may have been poisonous as well, since my stomach hurt after dinner. Then again, if the pumpkin pie my mom made was toxic, and she made the rest of the food as well, she may have just poisoned everything else too. My sister tried the chives and she never said anything about being sick from it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: November 30, 2014, 12:41:48 pm »

I made those pumpkin cheesecake bars posted a while back. They taste quite like pumpkin pie with nuts on them. Which is good, especially since I think I heard my stepdad say that the regular pumpkin pie my mom made may have made him sick. I haven't tried it, but kudos to my mom for trying to poison him, I guess.

Oh, and I've been growing some chives over the summer, and cut some for Thanksgiving. They tasted pretty good, although they may have been poisonous as well, since my stomach hurt after dinner. Then again, if the pumpkin pie my mom made was toxic, and she made the rest of the food as well, she may have just poisoned everything else too. My sister tried the chives and she never said anything about being sick from it.

Chives aren't poisonous, unless you grew daffodil leaves by mistake.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: December 03, 2014, 11:28:31 pm »

Tryed making oat meal for dessert tonight (I was hungry) and accidentaly made a huge bowl of it because I read the directions wrong
Now I have double the oat meal with half the water
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: December 04, 2014, 02:38:13 am »

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 09:31:17 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 334