Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 550257 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Grammatical Misteaks
« Reply #1860 on: October 22, 2014, 07:19:13 am »

That conversation was a while ago... but on that note, I've got my oatmeal routine down, makes my mornings lovely. Fell in love with it just in time for the cool weather too.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: October 22, 2014, 07:36:24 am »

Tonight for dinner, I made butternut pumpkin gnocchi, and they were delicious. Easy, too.

Just roast your pumpkin til soft (I did it with a little oil and thyme), mash em up, and mix with enough flour to form a dough. Shape, then boil in small batches until they start to float, and lift them out with a slotted spoon.

At this stage, I dropped them in some ice water so they would stop cooking, but you can serve directly here instead (with maybe a sprinkle of parmesan, and possibly some chopped prsociutto and parsely if on it's own). Simple, right?

Once I was done prepping the rest of the meal, I then cooked off some onion and the gnocchi in butter, leaving me with lovely buttery golden gnocchi goodness.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: October 22, 2014, 11:31:42 am »

That conversation was a while ago... but on that note, I've got my oatmeal routine down, makes my mornings lovely. Fell in love with it just in time for the cool weather too.

Wow, don't read forums with lack of coffee. My bad :p

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: October 26, 2014, 03:26:17 pm »

Corn masa spaetzle! Very cheap, except the cheese (even at the local el cheapo grocery store, the block of Havarti cost as much as everything else put together, but you can substitute pretty much any cheese and it'll work), and outrageously filling (this makes about 2 plates full, but each is enough food for 3 meals, and I'm a big eater).

I make no promises of authentic German cooking chops.

Spoiler: Ingredients (click to show/hide)

So, the first thing you do is chop up your onions and start them cooking in the butter. Switch off the heat (but leave them on it) just when they start to caramelize.

Meanwhile, start a pot of water boiling. Add salt to taste.

Mix your masa and flour together. In a separate bowl, stir together the eggs, oil, and a bit of water (probably just under a quarter cup - I didn't measure, but undershoot rather than overshoot, since it's easy to add more water later). Add a pinch of salt and a sprinkle of pepper. Pour that into the flour/masa, and mix it together. Once you've got chunks of fairly dry dough moving about in the powder, turn it all out onto a surface you've coated with your extra flour/masa (either works). Start kneading and slowly adding water, maybe a tablespoon at a time, until it all holds together. Keep kneading until you've got a smooth, heavy, homogeneous dough. Press it down to about 1/2 inch thick, then use a knife to cut it into cubes*. Put the dough into the boiling water. When all of it's floated up to the surface for about a minute, it should be done.

Drain the cooked dough, then return it to the now-empty pot, along with the caramelized onions and butter, and fry it all up for about a minute. Serve with cubes of cheese.

*This produces a vastly oversized result compared to what's standard, but it's how I've come to do it. Smaller pieces are more work, but cook faster and are going to be more moist. If you have a cheese grater or something, that would produce more usual pieces. Your dough should absolutely be thick enough for that to be feasible.

EDIT: Yeah, ~5000 calories for the batch says my estimate for how much food this is is not far off.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 05:43:39 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: October 26, 2014, 11:56:34 pm »

So I tried making cheeseburger curry as suggested earlier.

I think I messed up somewhere, or I set my expectations too high. (It was still tasty as a curry, so I'm not complaining too much :P) As a result I have a number of questions:
Do you guys make it as a dry or wet curry? How much cheese do you add?
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: October 27, 2014, 07:41:51 am »

I usually make it fairly wet (the dressing alone makes it tricky to do otherwise), and I tend to go easy on the cheese just because it doesn't really emulsify well without additional work that I'm unwilling to put in.

Recipe, for reference.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: October 27, 2014, 08:05:12 am »

Best simple noodle recipe, Dragon Noodles.
Cook pasta.
Mix equal parts soy sauce, siracha, brown sugar in a bowl (2 servings is approx. 1 tablespoon of each, make more to taste).
Melt butter in saucepan and add 1/2 tsp of chili flakes and mix.
beat 1 egg in a bowl and add to saucepan, cook.
Add cooked noodles and sauce, stir.

And that's it! Enjoy!
Next step, mix Dragon Noodle and Korean Beef recipe... will report when I manage this.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: October 27, 2014, 10:08:06 am »

So, I have not really worked with avacados before. So I thought the one I got was not good. Then my mom made it into wonderful milkshake.

Now I know more than I did about avacados.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: October 27, 2014, 10:37:34 am »

Avocados are hard, I constantly misjudge their ripeness.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: October 27, 2014, 10:51:07 am »

So, there are popcorn chips, like corn chip/popcorn hybrid. They're quite good.

Did you get just the normal sea salt ones or a different flavor?
I find those popcorn chips are much more filling than other chips
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: October 27, 2014, 11:04:40 am »

Got a big box of 3 flavours from Costco (good snacks for the wee ones). There was Jalapeno, Cheddar, and the sea salt. The Cheddar are my favourite I think.
I believe the brand is Popcorners if you're curious.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: October 27, 2014, 11:13:30 am »

Got a big box of 3 flavours from Costco (good snacks for the wee ones). There was Jalapeno, Cheddar, and the sea salt. The Cheddar are my favourite I think.
I believe the brand is Popcorners if you're curious.
my family usually buuys the sea salt ones or cheddar

I don't really like that cheddar powder stuffs on food though

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: October 27, 2014, 12:25:18 pm »

Homemade hummus is pretty godly. Add extra chilli and lime.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: October 27, 2014, 12:47:07 pm »

I usually make it fairly wet (the dressing alone makes it tricky to do otherwise), and I tend to go easy on the cheese just because it doesn't really emulsify well without additional work that I'm unwilling to put in.

Recipe, for reference.
Thanks! :3
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: October 27, 2014, 03:54:58 pm »

Munching on an extremely stale roll and this chicken broth noodle packet stuffs
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 334