Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 550184 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Food Thread: It's rad! Or radish at least.
« Reply #1605 on: August 29, 2014, 08:23:45 am »

Coffee pops: dump some coffee grounds in a pot with a bunch of water and maybe a little bit of sugar, and boil it down to almost nothing. Filter out the grounds, mix the concentrate with tvaroh/quark/kvarg/whatever you call it and a spoon full of honey, and pack it into popsicle molds. So good, especially in the summer when it's too hot for coffee.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: August 29, 2014, 09:01:54 am »

Coffee pops: dump some coffee grounds in a pot with a bunch of water and maybe a little bit of sugar, and boil it down to almost nothing. Filter out the grounds, mix the concentrate with tvaroh/quark/kvarg/whatever you call it and a spoon full of honey, and pack it into popsicle molds. So good, especially in the summer when it's too hot for coffee.

Doesn't the first part amount to 'make a strong coffee'? Because that option would actually be easier for me.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1607 on: August 29, 2014, 10:07:31 am »

The key is to boil it down as much as possible. Any liquid that remains will make ice crystals in your pops, and they're nicer without them. If you can minimize the amount of liquid, then the pops will have a nicer texture and the coffee will mix better with the creamy goodness.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: August 29, 2014, 10:21:52 am »

What would your thoughts on instant coffee be in this scenario?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1609 on: August 29, 2014, 10:25:59 am »

Obviously it would be less nice, but it could work if that's what you have. Just make it really strong, then try to boil it in a pot until most of the liquid is gone, and it should work fine.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: August 29, 2014, 12:00:03 pm »

You can make popsicles out of weird cheese? I have not been properly taking advantage of the summer.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: August 29, 2014, 12:50:22 pm »

coffee+cheese popsicles? o_o sounds... dubious

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1612 on: August 29, 2014, 12:53:11 pm »

Haha, it doesn't take like cheese. More like sweet cream or yogurt. You can buy frozen tvaroh here alongside the ice cream, and it's great in pastries and fruit dumplings and such.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: August 29, 2014, 03:33:06 pm »

Haha, it doesn't take like cheese. More like sweet cream or yogurt. You can buy frozen tvaroh here alongside the ice cream, and it's great in pastries and fruit dumplings and such.

Yeah, it's veeeery mild in flavor, and many people eat it with or as a part of sweet dishes, although with some salt and chives/onion it's a very filling bread-put-on-thingy.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1614 on: August 29, 2014, 03:56:48 pm »

I suppose it's comparable to cream cheese when it comes to flavor. Maybe a bit sweeter.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: August 29, 2014, 07:05:55 pm »

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 11:35:55 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: August 29, 2014, 07:23:55 pm »

Pumpkin spice hash browns would be awful.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: August 29, 2014, 07:29:08 pm »

... Shit, I know how I'm celebrating this Thanksgiving. That actually sounds pretty damn good, although you'd need to add sugar I think.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: August 29, 2014, 07:29:57 pm »

Use sweet potatoes?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: August 29, 2014, 07:30:25 pm »

Damn. That's good. Stealing it.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 334