Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 550297 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Fry Me a River
« Reply #1006 on: March 03, 2014, 07:37:44 pm »

Truly, truly fascinating Bauglir. Thank you so much. That has given me a lot to think about.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: March 03, 2014, 08:53:58 pm »

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do after accidentally* pouring something like a full ounce to ounce and a half of ground black pepper onto a roughly packed-ramen sized meal?

Pour spices onto your hand before putting them in food. Saved a lot of meals from defective salt shakers in that way.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: March 07, 2014, 12:11:50 pm »

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do after accidentally* pouring something like a full ounce to ounce and a half of ground black pepper onto a roughly packed-ramen sized meal?

Pour spices onto your hand before putting them in food. Saved a lot of meals from defective salt shakers in that way.

Yup, I started doing that after a similar mishap.

For dinner last night, I made Mushroom and Goat Cheese Paella.  Finally put the saffron in my pantry to use!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: March 07, 2014, 12:18:06 pm »

Dammit man all your stuff looks goddamn delicious.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: March 07, 2014, 12:33:57 pm »

Today, after toasting bread only to discover the lack of any standard sandwich spreads in my sister's house, I discovered that whole egg mayonnaise goes quite well on its own on buttered toast. Sadly this is about as close as I've come to any innovative cooking in a while... :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: March 07, 2014, 03:12:26 pm »

Hey, so I was wondering.

Here in the Russlands, we have a wonderful beverage known as ryazhenka, a kind of fermented baked milk. It's fucktons of awesome. It has this creamy brownish color because of the sugars in the milk caramelizing, and tastes better than kefir. Has anybody in here ever tried baked milk? I mean, Wikipedia has an article, but does anybody in Western Europe or the US or the UK actually drink it?

This is related to the last discussion about whether tvorog is cheese (still think it's not: for me they are distinct, and the chain is like milk - tvorog - cheese. Saying that tvorog is cheese is like saying cheese is milk.) I kinda realized I eat a lot of dairy stuff. It's like, you think traditional food is something done by people in stupid clothing on stupid festivals nobody cares about, and then you realize that the everyday things you consume are markedly different from what the rest of the world eats.

Another thing: I dunno about other places, but in Russia, condensed milk comes in tin cans. So on trips, people who go on trips (an actual subculture in the post-USSR countries: guys who go hiking long distances, carrying all their grub with them, or sail down rivers in awesome Soviet kayaks) do a cool thing.
You have to take a pot of water, a can of condensed milk, chuck the can into the pot and boil it without opening the can for a few hours: take care so water doesn't run out, or the can could explode. You usually know it's done because the coating on the cans oxidizes after being boiled for a long time, and changes color from silver to gold. The result is like dulce de leche, but awesomer.

And the Turkic and Caucasian peoples have this drink called airan - it's like a frothy milk-something thing: weird but awesome.

If this post lacks coherence, sorry - I was a bit bored and decided to post some dairy-related stuff, just because. I'll go disappear now.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: March 07, 2014, 03:23:11 pm »

As an American, I didn't even know that was a thing. I only ever drink milk plain, or on cereal.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1013 on: March 07, 2014, 03:30:31 pm »

Never heard of baked milk, and I live in the Czech Republic.

It doesn't sound very good to me, but then again I've never liked the taste of milk and I recently developed pretty nasty lactose intolerance, so I'm biased. (Sometimes I eat cheese anyway, but then I can't be around other humans for a couple of days.)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: March 07, 2014, 03:45:33 pm »

You have to take a pot of water, a can of condensed milk, chuck the can into the pot and boil it without opening the can for a few hours: take care so water doesn't run out, or the can could explode.

I'll have to give this a try!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: March 07, 2014, 03:51:27 pm »

I haven't ever heard of this baked milk thing.

But I can confirm as a scientifically tested fact, that kefir is indeed the best liquid form of milk you can taste without having to resort to lethal amounts of opiates to enhance the flavour.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: March 07, 2014, 04:22:53 pm »

You have to take a pot of water, a can of condensed milk, chuck the can into the pot and boil it without opening the can for a few hours: take care so water doesn't run out, or the can could explode.

I'll have to give this a try!
Just be careful opening it afterwards - it can get enthusiastic about escaping the can.

But I can confirm as a scientifically tested fact, that kefir is indeed the best liquid form of milk you can taste without having to resort to lethal amounts of opiates to enhance the flavour.

Ryazhenka is, strangely enough, better. It has the same tangy metallic kefir-taste-thing, but with a caramel note and a prettier color.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: March 07, 2014, 05:00:44 pm »

Condensed milk, Russian-style is, indeed, delicious. Baked sounds interesting, I've read of it on Wikipedia a few months ago.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: March 07, 2014, 05:03:30 pm »

So it didn't explode and sprayed thick hot white liquid at you?

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: March 07, 2014, 05:06:12 pm »

The best liquid form of milk I ever drank came from Caucasus and was called "tan". Or "airan", it had both of these on the bottle.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 334