Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Cop shoots a dog.  (Read 11192 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Cop shoots a dog.
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2012, 07:13:45 pm »

When you draw a gun on an unarmed person, you are the one escalating the violence inherent to the situation. Period.
Unless you have reason to suspect he may be armed.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2012, 07:14:15 pm »

Unless you have reason to suspect he may be armed.

Uh, no, his example still holds. To put it plainly, I don't want cops on the force that are so afraid of getting bit by a dog they're going to shoot it to resolve the problem, real or imagined. Christ, these people HAVE attack dogs, they know the difference!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 07:16:12 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2012, 07:14:47 pm »

Know what? It's true. Shit happens. Shit happens a lot. The problem, for me at least, is that when shit happens as frequently as it does, and with such devastating consequences, one has to begin to question whether that shit is still worth putting up with.

Cop almost certainly should not have had his gun out. But that is the only issue I see here. The shooting of the dog, well sad, seems pretty much justified. Animal lives are simply not worth the possibility of a human getting badly injured or worse.

Believe it or not, the value of a life is entirely subjective.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2012, 07:18:18 pm »

Know what? It's true. Shit happens. Shit happens a lot. The problem, for me at least, is that when shit happens as frequently as it does, and with such devastating consequences, one has to begin to question whether that shit is still worth putting up with.
Devastating consequences? It's a dog... It sucks, sure but it's not devastating. Maybe emotionally jarring to lose your pet, but seriously an animal is an animal. At least he didn't shoot the guy... THAT would have been a story.

"Cop responds to wrong house, murders man in cold blood and kills his dog too!"

I hate our media.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2012, 07:23:59 pm »

No, I'm sure there's quite a few people who would be very much devastated to lose a pet. Like I said, the value of a life is subjective, and you'd be surprised how highly people can value the lives of their animals.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2012, 07:26:16 pm »

Uh, how is this not devastating for the individual involved?

From his POV:

He is in his yard doing whatever with his dog nearby. Cop approaches from around the corner with gun drawn. Dog, as all but the most well-trained would do, runs up to a stranger in its yard, probably barking. Officer yells 'Put your hands up and control your dog!', or something to that effect - two orders which individually would make sense, but together are presumably impossible. Officer, probably before you have a chance to do much of ANYTHING (other than maybe comply with the order to put your hands up), shoots your dog, then proceeds to ask you 'why didn't you control your dog?'.

O.o

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2012, 07:27:28 pm »

Some of you may find this shocking, but domestic dogs are not trained killers.

Other then when they actually are of course.
Yeah, because that is just so common.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2012, 07:29:25 pm »

I agree that there wasn't much the owner could do. The other option of stopping the dog probably would have gotten him shot.

I hate our media.

News media and facebook stories aren't exactly constructive. 22,000 people liked the 'Justice for Cisco' thing on facebook. The dog was in the wrong place at the wrong time. That's it. What people should have been debating was why he had his gun out in the first place. Instead the media sees a dead dog and frames it in a tragic light and poses the question 'why did he kill the poor dog?'. Sometimes I wonder if media is backpedaling society with redundant emotional stories instead of posing bigger questions that would better our society.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2012, 07:34:30 pm »

The dog was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The irony this statement is it's usually made in conjunction with cross-fires, or people during robberies. Apparently the wrong place was the dog's home, and the wrong time was any day.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2012, 07:36:12 pm »

Wrong place = running at a police officer, wrong time = the police officer is responding to a potentially violent crime, dude.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2012, 07:37:54 pm »

Because the dog and his owner could have possibly known that...how? They had a chance to not get shot....how? By being psychic? That's the injustice here. See, when you kill a cop's dog, it's homicide. You even touch his dog, it's assaulting a uniformed officer. When a cop kills your dog, it had it coming.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 07:39:46 pm by nenjin »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2012, 07:40:09 pm »

Because the dog and his owner could have possibly known that...how? That's the injustice here. See, when you kill a cop's dog, it's homicide. When a cop kills your dog, it had it coming.
Its not injustice, it's just coincidence. It happens. Police officer had a gun, felt threatened, fired. Its nobody's fault. Not the dog's, not the cop's. Its unfortunate is all.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2012, 07:42:21 pm »

And that's the real issue. Several of you don't see anything wrong with a cop getting scared, for what so far looks like very little reason, and killing something. You take it on faith like the weather, taxes or old age, like it's something that can't be addressed or isn't a problem to begin with. Yes, shit happens. What's really the question here is...is it "shit happens" or "is this shit a symptom of something that's been getting worse with police."
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 07:48:36 pm by nenjin »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2012, 07:44:22 pm »

Because the dog and his owner could have possibly known that...how? That's the injustice here. See, when you kill a cop's dog, it's homicide. When a cop kills your dog, it had it coming.
Its not injustice, it's just coincidence. It happens. Police officer had a gun, felt threatened, fired. Its nobody's fault. Not the dog's, not the cop's. Its unfortunate is all.
No, actually, it is entirely the cop's fault for being a trigger-happy bloodthirsty asshole.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2012, 07:46:59 pm »

And that's the real issue. Several of you don't see anything wrong with a cop getting scared, for what so far looks like very little reason, and killing something. You take it on faith like the weather, taxes or old age, like it's something that can't be addressed or isn't a problem to begin with. Yes, shit happens. What's really the question here is it "does shit happen" or "is this this a symptom of something that's been getting worse with police."
So what, cops aren't allowed to get scared? I'm not sure how you would stop that.

As for this being a symptom of a growing problem.. okay? I guess. I'm not an analyst. I'd still have shot the dog I think, if I felt threatened and the owner wasn't stopping it.

No, actually, it is entirely the cop's fault for being a trigger-happy bloodthirsty asshole.
Well if you can make assumptions why can't I? It's entirely the dog's fault for being a bloodthirsty killing machine!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11