Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Cop shoots a dog.  (Read 11152 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Cop shoots a dog.
« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2012, 08:17:01 pm »

If a cop feels he needs his gun, he should wait for the backup.
Now that I agree with. I'd love to know why he was alone.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2012, 08:35:43 pm »

I don't think people really understand just how dangerous even half-smallish dogs can be.

Actually I am aware of what the MOST dangerous dog can do and I will say that if that was a trained attack dog after the officer and he didn't shoot then he would have been...

Fine in all likelyness actually.

Mind you... no one wants to be bit, dragged to the ground, and have your guts or throat chomped on before you shoot them. Though I guess his gun hand could have been chomped on.

Mind you I am sure a police officer would rather shoot a dog then risk being mildly bitten.

I think he made bad decisions and deserves consequences up to and including the loss of his job, but I certainly don't think he deserves to be called 'bloodthirsty' or whatnot. Trigger-happy, yes, probably, but that's not the same thing. I would consider him a bad policeman if for no other reason than that in my judgment he reacted poorly under a very MINIMAL degree of pressure, but not a bad person

Yeah dangerously incompetent but LIKELY not morally corrupt.

Though it is more then possible he was... Yeah I'd give the benefit of the doubt.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 08:38:33 pm by Neonivek »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2012, 08:42:11 pm »

Excusing the worst? He shot a freaking dog. It sucks. Its unfortunate. He maybe shouldn't have had his gun out. This is hardly the worst thing a cop has done. The man will be sad, and then he will get a new dog. Worst case, the city will pay for his therapy.

I would agree with you, but "then he will get a new dog"? I'm sorry, but dogs aren't trivially replaceable like furniture or something.

It's hardly the worst thing a cop has done, sure, but why should evidence for something be thrown out just because stronger evidence for it also exists? Weaker examples and stronger examples of a phenomenon don't have to compete with each other, for crying out loud; they're both valid and contribute to whatever findings can be made.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2012, 08:46:26 pm »

I have to agree dogs arn't just things you throw away they are pets.

You BUY them to gain a strong emotional attachment (at least the vast majority of commercially sold dogs are). Shooting someone's dog is like shooting them in the heart.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 08:48:45 pm by Neonivek »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2012, 08:54:24 pm »

In regards to that, I have one thing to say: If a cop shot my dog in a situation like that, one of three things would result. Either he'd end up shooting me, I'd be on trial for murder, or his buddies would shoot me. Thankfully (and holy shit is it sad that I have to say that) my dog died of natural causes about a year ago.

Unfortunately, my family and friends are still alive and well, and thus at risk for Sudden Lead Overdose Syndrome. At least they're mostly white; I hear that cuts down on your chances of contracting it by around 35%.  ::)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2012, 09:01:26 pm »

Either he'd end up shooting me, I'd be on trial for murder, or his buddies would shoot me.
No, none of these would result, as you are more sensible and selfless than that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2012, 09:02:33 pm »

Either he'd end up shooting me, I'd be on trial for murder, or his buddies would shoot me.
No, none of these would result, as you are more sensible and selfless than that.

I think you mean Selfish.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2012, 09:03:51 pm »

You think wrongly. Getting oneself killed or arrested in an effort to sate one’s lust for vengeance is selfish if one has family or friends, so the contrary would be selflessness.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2012, 09:06:31 pm »

You think wrongly. Getting oneself killed or arrested in an effort to sate one’s lust for vengeance is selfish if one has family or friends, so the contrary would be selflessness.
Point. And I've killed off my emotions to the point where I probably wouldn't show anything outwardly. But if it was my last living relative or I was already an old man...

More to the point, that was an overstatement. I'd be angry enough to kill the bastard, but I'd channel that anger into doing everything I can to change the status quo to prevent powertripping cops from getting away with coldblooded murder.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2012, 09:10:05 pm »

This would all be assuming that you could act without emotional influence after watching this guy shoot your dog in front of you.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2012, 09:12:02 pm »

Hmmm I think I understand what the cops would want

I think that police officers would want everyone to take "being arrested" in school so they wouldn't have to hurt people by accident because they don't surrender fast enough... or shoot people accidently.

Do schools teach being arrested?

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2012, 09:14:24 pm »

More to the point, that was an overstatement.
I supposed as much, but, to me, hyperbole is a million times worse than anything else, and hyperbole involving violence just makes me want to kill someone.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #102 on: April 17, 2012, 09:17:41 pm »

This thread has gotten weird.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 17, 2012, 09:21:37 pm »

I think the real, biggest problem here, is that whoever trained this fucker?

The fucking failed at their job even harder than he did. Nothing about what he did here was the correct response to a domestic disturbance. Nothing about what he did is the correct response to a situation dangerous enough to draw your weapon. If it was an ACTUAL threat situation, he had a good chance of ending up dead, a chance that could have been avoided by making correct decisions.

And additionally? If you're a police officer, you are signing on to take the risk. Your job is not supposed to be easy. And its a hell of a lot safer than a great many other jobs, and has a lot more perks.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2012, 02:18:43 am »

Those with irrational fears of anything probably shouldn't be coppers.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11