Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: Cop shoots a dog.  (Read 11143 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: Cop shoots a dog.
« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2012, 02:26:51 am »

there'd be almost no policemen.

I'm okay with that.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #106 on: April 18, 2012, 02:43:44 am »

there'd be almost no policemen.

I'm okay with that.

But the few cops would be crazy.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2012, 06:47:07 am »

I want all cops in the world to own a dog, even if they dont want one, and if they dont care for the dog, they shouldnt be cops, or animal owners. This way they will hopefully think twice before fucking with someones dog. That, or all dogs should be mounted by cop seeking turrets.

A more serious reaction is that i am really fucking mad at that cop right now, i wouldnt let him live a comfortable life for very long if i knew him.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2012, 07:00:28 am »

A more serious reaction is that i am really fucking mad at that cop right now, i wouldnt let him live a comfortable life for very long if i knew him.
So you would go harass this man because he shot a dog when he felt threatened by it? I mean really? Don't you have better things to do? I get that some of you are dog lovers, but this seems a little overboard.

He should be reprimanded and probably sent to some training on how to deal with animals, but don't ruin his life over a mistake which killed an animal.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2012, 07:11:28 am »

I don't think he should go to jail, but from all appearances this was reckless endangerment and incompetence, and he killed a member of someones family who did nothing wrong. Maybe not a human member, thankfully, but a member nonetheless. He did significant harm to an innocent human - the emotional bonds people can have with their dogs can be pretty intense. He fucked up, and bad.

I don't think he should go to prison, even though most people would in the same situation, but I DO think he should lose his job, or at least be moved to permanent desk duty and lose his right to a weapon, preferably with a pay cut.

Again, let me be clear - he fucked up bad, and hurt an innocent family who did nothing wrong, potentially very badly, because he approached the situation incorrectly. And personal experience indicates cops who do things like this are dangerous to let out on the streets. Today, its killing a dog. Tomorrow, it's letting a criminal take your shotgun and go for a joyride in your police car because you have no bloody fucking idea how to do your job. The day after that, who knows.

None of this ruins his life - this is all perfectly in keeping with how society treats fuckups. If anything, its treating him with kid gloves. If there was any ruining here, it was on his end - discharging your weapon in the field is always, as a police officer, an extremely serious matter.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2012, 07:14:11 am »

If it were up to me I'd just let the guy who's dog he shot decide his punishment.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #111 on: April 18, 2012, 07:37:10 am »

Because being bitten by a dog is totally safe and all strange dogs? Harmless animals that can be totally trusted...

If I saw a dog I didn't know running at me, I'd treat it as an immediate threat on my safety, well-being and possibly my life and react as appropriate. If armed with a gun, I'd gun it down and call myself a hero for doing so.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 07:39:59 am by MorleyDev »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 18, 2012, 07:46:17 am »

Overreaction Man?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 18, 2012, 07:57:43 am »

Those with irrational fears of anything probably shouldn't be coppers.
besides, a lot of people have irrational (and rational) fears of things, very few don't, so if they went along the lines of 'everone who has a fear cannot be a policeman', there'd be almost no policemen.

You don't need to push it that far.  But people defending his behavior point out that it's unusual.  Well isn't that a red flag that maybe he shouldn't be an officer?  Most officers wouldn't shoot the dog.  That's why this particular officer looks like someone who might be a bad fit.

They won't consider firing him though.  They will close ranks around him.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 18, 2012, 08:07:52 am »

The differing opinions here are probably due to how we all see dogs. Having been raised with them, and growing up along side a few great ones that were family members, I find it hard to punish a man for murdering a family member by having him reprimanded and sent to training. Some people see dogs, or simply animals, in a completely different light. Whether religious or not, some people follow the "god gave man dominion over all animals" thing closely, and others feel we have no right to harm them.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 18, 2012, 08:17:19 am »

Honestly?  I think the officer followed the rules that had been given to him.

In circumstances where officers encounter any animal which reasonably appears, under the circumstances, to pose and imminent threat to the safety of officers or others, officers are authorized to use deadly force to neutralize such a threat.
The fairly large dog often used as a guard dog was charging at him barking - there definitely was a "reasonable threat to his safety".  I'd say the issue is more with the rule than the cop, and that the criteria for using lethal force on an animal should be tightened up.

Incidentally, I don't think fantasizing about the violence you'd inflict on someone in a news story is productive.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #116 on: April 18, 2012, 08:37:38 am »

Because being bitten by a dog is totally safe and all strange dogs? Harmless animals that can be totally trusted...

If I saw a dog I didn't know running at me, I'd treat it as an immediate threat on my safety, well-being and possibly my life and react as appropriate. If armed with a gun, I'd gun it down and call myself a hero for doing so.

You'd walk into somebody ELSE'S yard with a drawn weapon then shoot their dog for running up and barking at you?

I would hope that anybody other than a cop would have their ass severely beaten for doing such a thing. Possibly as a result of a jail sentence and being tossed in with not-so-kind cellmates. And I only give the cop a break because they have a reason for carrying the weapon in the first place, and POSSIBLY a reason for having it drawn (not that this particular cop did), and therefore I am willing to write it off as a poor split-second reaction.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 08:40:50 am by Lord Dullard »

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #117 on: April 18, 2012, 08:44:40 am »

If I had to get into that house immediately yes. If I had enough time, I'd go find some sleeping pills and pack them into meat and throw it at the dog or something equally cartoony. Sure, tranquillize it if possible so long as it's some way incapacitated in a reasonable amount of time.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #118 on: April 18, 2012, 08:48:36 am »

No, we've already gone over this.

1. He had no reason for having his gun drawn, unless this was an extremely unusual domestic disturbance call, and if it had been it seems obvious that the police dpt. would have said as much to explain why he hopped out of the patrol vehicle with his *gun drawn* when it was completely unnecessary. So, he was not doing his job properly, to begin with, because he was unnecessarily escalating the situation by an order of magnitude.

2. He should have called for backup if he thought the situation required lethal weapons. Again, major fuckup.

3. 999/1000 (warning: not a serious statistic, I am exaggerating the obvious) cops would NOT walk into somebody's yard and shoot their dog when it exhibited perfectly normal dog behavior (running up to a stranger in its own yard and barking), as evidenced by the fact that cops generally do not go around shooting peoples' dogs. I am given to believe that cops frequently walk into peoples' yards but do not frequently shoot their dogs, so this guy is probably the exception.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 08:53:35 am by Lord Dullard »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 18, 2012, 09:42:47 am »

The man clearly can't follow proper police protocol, so he should be fired for gross incompetence.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11