Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Most Annoying - Dwarves suspended construction...  (Read 2445 times)

valkuma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Most Annoying - Dwarves suspended construction...
« on: April 17, 2012, 12:19:45 pm »

So does anyone else have the problem where the dwarves will bring the required materials to the build site, and the build site will promptly suspend because the building materials are blocking the site? I had to deconstruct some of my apartments because the beds would refuse to construct, my execution tower is missing a floor because the walls wont construct.... any way out of this incredibly annoying bug?

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Most Annoying - Dwarves suspended construction...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 12:24:35 pm »

Unsuspend?

Its not a bug. The dwarfs have to clear every item off of the tile they are building on. they will move the objects unless it is forbidden or tasked to be used/moved by another dwarf. You need to unsuspend the construction when the item blocking the site is taken care of.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 12:26:21 pm »

It's not a bug, the buildings are being suspended because there's something on the tile that's either tasked for an existing job, or forbidden.

valkuma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 12:32:19 pm »

heres my process going on.

1. I built a wall on an empty tile.
2. The dwarves bring the rock to build the wall to the tile and put it down. The rock suspends the construction of the wall.
3. Unsuspending leads to IMMEDIATE suspending.
4. Canceling the wall leads to the walls rock being put on the floor where it is promptly removed by an idler.
5. Go to step 1.

Theres nothing on the tile. The dwarves are bringing in the construction materials and its blocking the construction from happening. Same thing happens with beds in my apartment complex occasionally, they just refuse to build on that tile.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 12:34:57 pm »

It usually happens to me when I specify building materials that are already laying on the building site.  If the Dwarves build in just the wrong order, then a rock destined for the next spot will be blocking "this" spot.  Since that rock is claimed, it cannot be moved except by the Dwarf who is going to use it to build the next spot.  The easiest way to overcome with is to let them proceed as they can, and then unsuspend the work that got suspended.  If you want to make sure it never happens, always dump the rock first off any construction site.  Reclaim it and then specify it in the work.

Then, of course, they will suspend due to bearing a child, having a mood, or noticing their shoelace is untied.  This last reason is a fabrication easily detected by remembering the fact that Dwarves wear slip-ons because they can't master lacing shoes without tying their beards in.   ;D

Added after reading the reply before me:
Dwarves should not lay the rock down before building with it.  Something else is adding to this situation.

Edit: Do you use DFHack's autodump?  That will sometimes prevent construction on a spot.  It is remedied by cancelling the contruction order, saving the game, and reloading.  The empty spots will be truly empty after a reload without any work ordered at the spot in question.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 12:37:08 pm by slink »
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 12:39:54 pm »

construction will never be suspended by the actual building material tasked for the job (unless perhaps the job requires multiple build materials?).  If you forbid the material the job will be automatically canceled, not suspended.  If the item blocking the site is tasked, then eventually it will be used for said task, and if you unsuspend some time later, the job will proceed normally.  If a forbidden item is blocking the site, you can see with k.  If an owned item is blocking the site, you may have trouble.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 12:41:56 pm by slothen »
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

valkuma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 12:44:27 pm »

I think it was the Autodump, I had been using it to clear out unmovables. Saving and reloading worked - Thanks =D

Boes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 06:54:42 am »

i'm have the problem where there is a single dwarf standing on the spot he is trying to build a wall and suspending the construction when there are spots all around that location he could stand to build.   the only way i'm finding around it is to cancel the construction and build the wall again with materials a long way away from where the wall is at and making the dwarf stand to the north of the wall.
Life has a 100% mortality rate.

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 07:07:07 am »

Isn't it the bug :
[NEW!] Bug #5991: Dwarf tries to build wall standing on the construction site?
How do you proceed to
mak(ing) the dwarf stand to the north of the wall
?
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 12:22:10 pm »

i'm have the problem where there is a single dwarf standing on the spot he is trying to build a wall and suspending the construction when there are spots all around that location he could stand to build.   the only way i'm finding around it is to cancel the construction and build the wall again with materials a long way away from where the wall is at and making the dwarf stand to the north of the wall.
Yeah, the only known way around that is what you're doing.