Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So much potential, dashed!  (Read 2852 times)

Mirefrost00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So much potential, dashed!
« on: April 17, 2012, 10:58:48 am »

(Toady One, Dev RSS Feed) "I fixed up some high-speed physics problems that caused energy to be created in the carts (so they'd go faster and faster...)"

We were so close to dwarven mass drivers, dwarven particle accelerators, dwarven railguns, dwarves putting booze stockpiles in LEO...

WHY, TOADY?  WHY?!  </wailing_and_gnashing_of_teeth>

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: So much potential, dashed!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 01:32:49 pm »

I'm sure a bit of dwarven ingenuity can overcome such a simple thing as lack of coded possibility.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

zoutzakje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 01:35:50 pm »

I do hope we have to consider some sort of speed though for the carts. I would love to see carts flying off track when they take a turn to fast, causing all sorts of FUN in the process. Especially if some dorfs are riding the cart :P
But I'm not following Toady's developing progress (yet), so this could already be the case for all I know.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 02:00:54 pm »

I do hope we have to consider some sort of speed though for the carts. I would love to see carts flying off track when they take a turn to fast, causing all sorts of FUN in the process. Especially if some dorfs are riding the cart :P
But I'm not following Toady's developing progress (yet), so this could already be the case for all I know.
I think that will be programmed in/ has been programmed.

The bug that was fixed now is that very fast carts suddenly turn into perpetuum mobiles, creating infinitive energy.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 02:52:50 pm »

As complex as this stuff is, I'm sure something will slip through the cracks.  If not, there is probably going to be some way to get absurdly high top speeds, even without rolling a minecart down 100 z-levels.

Having said that, I'm not sure that the current physics and railways would support something like a dwarven particle accelerator.  Is there anything other than a 90 degree turn going to be implemented?  Toady would need to have more gradual turns and have the appropriate physics and all...

Still, I'm grinning just picturing it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 03:04:45 pm »

Yeah, it would have been cool to play with this for a version or two.
Check it:
Quote from: Devlog
Overall, to wrap up the hauling changes, we still have to do unit/minecart collisions, fluid/minecart interactions, some speed-related accidents, add some more support for setting up carts at stops independent of routes (for use in traps, etc.), consider a few more efficiency changes for routes/items in carts, add some more information to tool definitions to control how carts are made and stored, update mining, consider wheelbarrows, handle work animals... that's probably not everything. So there's a bit left to do, but it should be cool.
Sounds like we're getting something there for sure.
(Emphasis mine).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 03:07:00 pm by Cruxador »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 03:08:55 pm »

Maybe there's a maxspeed in the minecart raws and it can be modified ?

Yeah I would want my minecarts to be able to reach the speed of light, simply for the rule of cool. Who cares about realism ? It's a fantastic universe !

xlork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 03:15:00 pm »

What I do not understand is why people seem to assume that minecarts are going to whizz around and do jumps and smash goblins into walls etc, this is 14th century max:

16th century

These contraptions are not designed to transport things at high speed, rather they are to transport heavy things. They are very rough and are simply pulled along by people, not flung off ramps...

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 03:23:30 pm »

Designs like that lose a lot of speed to friction, but they don't have a lower maximum speed or anything, send them down an incline for long enough and they'll still get going very fast, as long as they don't break up part way down - and we don't have item damage yet (besides clothes) so that's not really a worry.
Additionally, dwarves can be very skilled. We may not have ball bearings, but a masterwork stone or metal cart is going to have a very smooth axle and will not have nearly as much friction as that shoddy wooden thing you posted.

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 03:23:42 pm »

What I do not understand is why people seem to assume that minecarts are going to whizz around and do jumps and smash goblins into walls etc, this is 14th century max:

You should probably read the devlog, then.  Cart accelerators (plus speed gains from downhill carting), jumping carts, and damage from speeding carts is already confirmed.

Just put a shark pool between some cart ramps and that's now Dwarf Fortress.  Or I guess, Dwarf Coaster.
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

xlork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 03:34:43 pm »

My mistake, then. I have to say though, I do disagree with this being possible (not that it wouldn't be fun).

edit: @Cruxador: Even at moderate speeds then a cart would easily become derailed, or, as you said, damaged, and I suggest the threshold for this is dependent on the quality of the minecart and rails. Even if the friction in the axles is negligible then the cart will still derail, as (sorry for my overuse of wikipedia) the first iron rails were cast in 1767.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 03:41:42 pm by xlork »

helf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 03:46:26 pm »

Pretty sure dwarves would he intelligent and skilled enough to make candy carts.
YOUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, I got out of the map boundry!
OUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, a horrid monstrosity just migrated to my fortress! Let's recruit it!

xlork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 03:51:40 pm »

"intelligent", really?  :P

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 03:59:45 pm »

What I do not understand is why people seem to assume that minecarts are going to whizz around and do jumps and smash goblins into walls etc

Because it's awesome. No other answer needed.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 04:11:44 pm »

Rails are mostly going to be carved stone (though other options exist), per devlog. Carts will be made of wood (or metal, but that would take more resources). But a steep incline is a steep incline any way you dice it.

An empty featherwood cart should be the fastest, having the lowest friction, though the speed differences based on weight are minor, and may not be modeled.
Pages: [1] 2