Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Theoretical Minecart Systems - a ‼☼Thought Experiment☼‼  (Read 3836 times)

aragaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Theoretical Minecart Systems - a ‼☼Thought Experiment☼‼
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 03:35:00 am »

Wanted: rails that can't be used for walking (you don't walk on roller coaster rails) so I could create parts of fortress that are accessible only by rail (or flying).

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 02:41:54 pm »

Toady has stated that it is possible to send a cart into the air and land it on another set of rails facing the right direction. So, if you want cartable-only areas, you'd just dig chasms across their entrances and arrange the rails on either side so that the cart makes the jump safely.

The weight/mass of the minecart may eventually have to be restricted to certain ranges because weight/mass, while it won't affect the acceleration of gravity while flying through the air -- that's practically constant at the same general distance from the Earth's center -- may affect the acceleration/deceleration on ramps and/or rollers and thereby affect the horizontal speed, which is as crucial to landing the cart where you want as the vertical speed. But if you guaranteed the carts to be made of X and be full of Y, or if Toady allowed you to set the cart routes based on their reaching a weight threshold, it would be fairly easy to get carts across a gap consistently.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 04:47:50 pm »

I'm not really looking forward to carving ramps connecting my foundry to the mines. I've gotten too used to stairs :(

The first and most practical use will probably be goblin bowling. I'm picturing a 3x20 entrance with a relativistic minecart launcher on the fortward side and tracks down the entryway. The far end of the entryway will have tracked ramps to the surface. Solid lead carts (loaded with heavy stones?) will barrel down the entryway at relativistic speeds, launch up the ramps into the sunlight for a moment, crash into a backstop, fall through another narrow opening in the soil and then land in an "airport" area so they can be sent back to the entryway launcher.

Sending the Red Baron unwanted nobility along for the flight will be optional, but if carts don't derail and there's a safe way to land them a marksdwarf in the cart might be able to shoot at things mid-flight, which would be fucking sweet.

A more boring (but potentially more effective) solution would be to have a lead cart full of pitchblende oscillate at high speed along a U-shaped track that crosses the entryway. When not in use, it would be blocked with bridges to trap the cart up high. When in use, the cart just goes right-left-right-left....

ŻŻŻ\       /ŻŻŻ
      \___/
I like the latter idea a lot, but it'd need a way to handle the turns.  Perhaps if the cart gained speed on a long, straight ramp but then lost it again going up the other side; a roller pointing towards the center on each end should turn it around nicely, and can probably even be powered by a single pair of windmills so there'd be no need to make another entrance to the rest of your fort there.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:12:10 am by Arkenstone »

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 06:28:33 am »

Wanted: rails that can't be used for walking (you don't walk on roller coaster rails) so I could create parts of fortress that are accessible only by rail (or flying).
This is something that is very easy to design a fort around.

Personally, I'm seeing utility floors for Minecarts that dorfs have seldom business going into.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 06:35:09 am »

if a path is 'cartable only' we can fix some pathfinding induced fps trouble

now I can send all those sweaty smelters down to magma sea and have bars/foods moving without their little brains telepathically scan every fortress square, searching for booze
Pages: 1 [2]