Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should all future Dwarves be buried un-alive?

Yes
- 8 (80%)
No, build tombs in the neutral side to let them R.I.P.
- 2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Need some graveyard advice  (Read 3169 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Need some graveyard advice
« on: April 17, 2012, 08:24:44 am »

^^^
The Silent thunder's graveyard (first year, nothing too large), the shots on the left showing the lowest levels of the graveyard, the top showing the highest (just 1z lvl below the surface). To give some back story the limestone door on the right marks the border between the neutral and evil biome. That pit on the right holds something around 30-40 undead moose, ravens, keas (and I think two Kobolds) that I hauled down there, and each pit is sealed with a masterwork statue of a Dwarven deity.

Now, the amount of neutral biome I have is quite small, which gives me a problem. One of my Dwarves, on a routine undead-patrol was mortally wounded by an undead moose (he took it down with him), and I have two options : Build a tomb on the surface (a costly land claiming process), or place his corpse in the afflicted tomb. This will also have the advantage of the Dwarves to be able to cluster around the memorials of their not so dead lost ones... Albeit holding some risks. I'm also thinking about linking the tombs to hatch levers e.t.c. so that should Silent thunder fall, I'll be able to release all of the undead. But that's a bit off topic.

Basically, should I reserve the catacombs for animals and invaders, or should I place this and all future Dwarves within it's limestone walls?

Dwarf pantheon thread goooooo

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
Re: Need some graveyard advice
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 08:36:29 am »

Only the deserving ought to get proper burials, and that automatically rules out virtually all dwarves.

I say let them suffer unlife. You could also kill two birds with one stone and make it into a handy-dandy execution chamber. No need to haul those corpses elsewhere after the zombies feast on their flesh.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 08:57:07 am »

If you can manage it, hook it up to a floodgate and use the undead as defense troops against goblins and titans. :P
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 09:19:43 am »

If you can manage it, hook it up to a floodgate and use the undead as defense troops against goblins and titans. :P
Doors > floodgates.  Almost always.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 10:40:48 am »

Only the deserving ought to get proper burials, and that automatically rules out virtually all dwarves.

Hmm... I am in fact building two proper tombs (or rather a large hall for heroes), which will be dedicated to future heroes and two of my starting 7 - marksdwarves (given the honorary title of Urist for their 'sharp' shooting capabilities), who have both racked up a total of over 91 kills and saved the fort from many undead raven swarms, and a badger migration. They haven't died yet, and I hope they stay that way, but I still want them to be appreciated.

I say let them suffer unlife. You could also kill two birds with one stone and make it into a handy-dandy execution chamber. No need to haul those corpses elsewhere after the zombies feast on their flesh.

Burial is dangerous business on my map. All of the corpses are kept strewn about the main dump, but eventually I decide it's time to bury the bones, turn off all of the labours except hauling (easy with just 15 live citizens), and begin mass dumping all of the corpses. A chute would be very tempting, but the amount of flying zombies I get make this slightly impractical sadly. Not to mention I probably won't be sacrificing many Dwarves, since the mortality rates in my fortress army tends to be relatively nice. Still, I could make a moose pit...

I prefer my Titans alive, and goblins slain by my Dwarves. The undead are an even bigger enemy to me, and my fort is in the lucky impasse between the spidery forest (a haunted forest surrounded by mountains) and the rest of the civilized world (modded every entity to build towns and cities - even Kobolds) -  IT MUST NOT FALL. (Seriously, all of my statues and engravings depict Dwarves being killed by zombies, Titans, zombie dragons, grizzly bears e.t.c. in the spidery forest, or going out in hunting groups to kill said monsters, and usually failing. They sure like their death).

Which means I don't exactly want to be raising an undead army I cannot keep dead, or contained, lest the Dwarves to the east suffer :|
Also, I keep everyone in my military. I don't want the undead to have all the fun eh? :P

*And it all comes down to this really, if I simply holed up underground and let the undead do the work, then what's the point of me building this?
Spoiler: 10th of Opal 413 (click to show/hide)

Yup. My resevoir is built out of two bridges and three doors, no floodgates to be seen anywhere >;]

*Note to self, telling legendary miners to dig out the resevoir whilst it's still connected to a frozen river is a recipe for disaster waiting to happen. I wonder how long this winter'll last... I feel like I'm slowly derailing my own thread by staying on topic D:

I just also checked out my embark, and I seem to have completely missed the fact that my fort is in range of a tower.

HFS YES.

Erm... Yeah. I think I'm just going to chuck the captain's body in the catacombs then, unless a surge of NO happens.

LumberingOaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 10:54:47 am »

Surely this just comes down to how much you liked that particular dwarf? If Urist  McMoosebait was a valued member of society, then by all means go ahead and arrange whatever burial measures you feel appropriate. If, on the other hand, he was just your average grunt, then I'd say save the space and effort.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 10:59:47 am »

I prefer my Titans alive, and goblins slain by my Dwarves. The undead are an even bigger enemy to me, and my fort is in the lucky impasse between the spidery forest (a haunted forest surrounded by mountains) and the rest of the civilized world (modded every entity to build towns and cities - even Kobolds) -  IT MUST NOT FALL. (Seriously, all of my statues and engravings depict Dwarves being killed by zombies, Titans, zombie dragons, grizzly bears e.t.c. in the spidery forest, or going out in hunting groups to kill said monsters, and usually failing. They sure like their death).

Which means I don't exactly want to be raising an undead army I cannot keep dead, or contained, lest the Dwarves to the east suffer :|
Also, I keep everyone in my military. I don't want the undead to have all the fun eh? :P

Lovely fluffy reason. Proceed.

Sure, you could lock and unlock the door but there's something inherently satisfying in unleashing a torrent of shambling dead on the foe. A door just doesn't have the same emotional impact.

That, and pulling a lever to unleash any kind of doom is the most dwarvenly thing possible. A door not so much. :P
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 11:07:49 am »

Surely this just comes down to how much you liked that particular dwarf? If Urist  McMoosebait was a valued member of society, then by all means go ahead and arrange whatever burial measures you feel appropriate. If, on the other hand, he was just your average grunt, then I'd say save the space and effort.
I'm just stuck on deciding whether or not keeping undead Dwarves is supposed to be a good or bad thing :|

And he died whilst on duty, leaving his wife widowed. Would she really want her husband to be undead?

And generally I feel *some* responsibility, for thinking a single Dwarf was capable of taking on a moose without marksdwarf support... Nah, his fault entirely.

Lovely fluffy reason. Proceed.

Well I'm convinced on making a moose pit now, but I'm going to conserve my ammunition for when the necromancers arrive, thank you very much! >:]

Generally I'm just not going to release them until I'm ready to kill everyone, because all that's going to happen if I did it now would be my FPS dropping, keas and ravens beginning murder of migrants, and myself just going full turtle. Sounds boring.

That, and pulling a lever to unleash any kind of doom is the most dwarvenly thing possible. A door not so much. :P

Doors can be linked to levers. My most satisfying lever pull would have to be from opening an artifact jade portal with one... Needless to say I've talked about it too much :P

LumberingOaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 01:49:17 pm »

Hmm, undead dwarves are an interesting point. While it seems to be the done thing to lay the dead to an appropriate rest, the rest of these forums leads me to the conclusion that most players do this out of necessity rather than any real concern. Compared to the kitten drop tower and the "child care" system, I'd say live zombie pens are probably a lot less cruel. At least it's a consequence of the map instead of a deliberate abuse of dwarves for fun and profit.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 01:52:36 pm »

Bury everything as undead and release it all into HFS. Sounds dwarfy to me. Then you can actually have your warriors defeat the demons - despite the fact that they probably don't know what they're doing.  ...retaking HFS afterwards would be a bit difficult, though...
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 01:54:07 pm »

Hmm, undead dwarves are an interesting point. While it seems to be the done thing to lay the dead to an appropriate rest, the rest of these forums leads me to the conclusion that most players do this out of necessity rather than any real concern. Compared to the kitten drop tower and the "child care" system, I'd say live zombie pens are probably a lot less cruel. At least it's a consequence of the map instead of a deliberate abuse of dwarves for fun and profit.

Use zombie dwarven babies for sparring practice for your military.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 02:01:06 pm »

Let them rise, as long as you have the necessary slabs zombies aren't an issue and you can always create a zombie bomb.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 11:34:04 pm »

Let them rise, as long as you have the necessary slabs zombies aren't an issue and you can always create a zombie bomb.
Bury everything as undead and release it all into HFS. Sounds dwarfy to me. Then you can actually have your warriors defeat the demons - despite the fact that they probably don't know what they're doing.  ...retaking HFS afterwards would be a bit difficult, though...
Tried it before, not very fun. Usually ends up with a few clowns dying, corpses burning (fire clowns-permanent solution to zombies), and FPS death.

Use zombie dwarven babies for sparring practice for your military.
I'm going to keep any unwanted babies in the moose pit.
Small zombies tend to be a pain to dispatch, and babies are resilient buggers.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 11:38:59 pm »

babies are resilient buggers.

This is the most magnificent thing that anyone has ever said.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 01:49:57 am »

babies are resilient buggers.
This is the most magnificent thing that anyone has ever said.
To speak from experience...

Meanwhile, in an attempt to reclaim some moose corpses

I *may* have released 40 zombie ravens. Bay12 comes up with the best ideas.
Pages: [1] 2