Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange mood issue with a child  (Read 5464 times)

zoutzakje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange mood issue with a child
« on: April 17, 2012, 05:50:52 am »

so after 6 of the 7 original dwarves got nearly instantly killed in my second fortress, I managed to survive by getting a wave of migrants just in time. Total population is 21 now (of which most are all family, so that will surely cause some nice FUN if one dies), and the youngest of the 3 children has withdrawn from society upon entering a strange mood. This is great and all, but the 6 year old little girl is just standing there in the meeting hall, not claiming any workshops, meaning i have absolutely no clue as to what she wants. she doesn't have any proffession skills (after all, you can't get kids to work) so I doubt she will claim a workshop.
So what do I do here? Is there a way to find out what she wants? Or do I just have to let her go insane, die, and hope the 6 year old little bugger won't cause my fort to die?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Strange mood issue with a child
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 07:43:45 am »

She probably wants a Craftsdwarf workshop.  No-skill child moods usually end up as bonecarving, woodcrafting, or stonecrafting, and those are all done at the craftsdwarf workshop.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

zoutzakje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 07:48:03 am »

allright, thanks. I'll see if she will make use of the craftsdwarf workshop. Hope I get things done before she goes mad.

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 07:57:27 am »

On a more general note, if you get a moody dwarf just standing around it'll mean you don't have the workshop they want. Check their skills and build any workshops you don't already have relevant to the dwarf's skillset.
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

zoutzakje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 10:34:21 am »

On a more general note, if you get a moody dwarf just standing around it'll mean you don't have the workshop they want. Check their skills and build any workshops you don't already have relevant to the dwarf's skillset.
ah yes, I read as much on the wiki. It was merely confusing me that the wiki doesn't seem to mention children getting strange moods as well, or at least i wasn't capable of finding it.
thanks anyway though ^^

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 08:07:11 pm »

Hm...Yeah, nothing much that hasn't been said yet. Make sure that the little girl can reach an unforbidden workshop, and let us know what she comes up with.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 12:04:39 am »

dfhack can reveal all things about a mood.

zoutzakje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 10:56:20 am »

allright, craftsdwarf workshop worked. As soon as it was built, the little kid first went to the workshop, stayed there for a second and then started gathering the materials she needed. Apparently I had everything she needs already. She created a mudstone bracelet lol. Mudstone is the only stone I have atm, so that's to bad :P
Now, is there anything I can do with this artifact? If yes, how do I do it?

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 11:06:28 am »

allright, craftsdwarf workshop worked. As soon as it was built, the little kid first went to the workshop, stayed there for a second and then started gathering the materials she needed. Apparently I had everything she needs already. She created a mudstone bracelet lol. Mudstone is the only stone I have atm, so that's to bad :P
Now, is there anything I can do with this artifact? If yes, how do I do it?

No. You should probably check the wiki first, it'll save on you having to ask here and wait for a response.
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

zoutzakje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 01:01:19 pm »

oh that's ok. Getting my answers from multiple different sources is never a bad thing.