Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Carving a Mountain Peak Into a Tower  (Read 29686 times)

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Carving a Mountain Peak Into a Tower
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2012, 07:22:41 pm »

Who ya gonna call?

GHOST BUSTERS!

No image today but I figured out what I'd forgotten to do...

Unforbid the corpses!

So many died to that foolishness...

We are managing to clean up the ghosts now...

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2012, 09:13:43 pm »

Ahh, glad you started this again, really want to see it become a true mountainhome.

'operation street sweep of magma'

This is going to be like Boatmurded's operation fuck the world, isn't it.

If so, MAKE THAT A TOP PRIORITY.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2012, 03:10:33 am »

Ahh, glad you started this again, really want to see it become a true mountainhome.

'operation street sweep of magma'

This is going to be like Boatmurded's operation fuck the world, isn't it.

If so, MAKE THAT A TOP PRIORITY.

Actually its going to be more complicated and less destructive, if it works correctly...

The plan is to make all the exterior streets and what have you that are prone to covering in wreckage and ruin, flood with magma to get rid of all the detritus...

But leave the farmland, pastures and even the exterior to the city walls intact.

Now if it breaks hilariously and produces !!!FUN!!! that is what my ground level aquifer is for!

And of course lets not forget that magma street sweeping may very well work for Sieges as well.

But I haven't even gotten more then 1 z level below my 'ground' level...

And that was so I had more room to build catacombs!

Still filling those up at a prodigious pace, In the hope of stemming the delay of bodies I have a corpse staging area now in the catacombs that should shorten the trip... and also gets my dorfs to use wheelbarrows for body collection rather then just dragging them around.

I might be forced to work out some minecart systems... if only so I have an easier distribution system of corpses!

I WILL FIND THE CORPSE OF THAT MURDEROUS GHOST AND INTER IT!

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2012, 07:03:33 am »

You face another problem if you go for magma - fps death.

Any space you carve out, will lead to increasing amounts of pathing.

You may want to use df hack to reveal, and then figure out a straight path down to carve for sake of magma pumping.

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2012, 11:49:12 am »

Using floods to put out the raging fires.

Dwarf Fort, fuck yeah!
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2012, 09:38:39 pm »

Finally got rid of the ghost who was more or less responsible for four reclaims on this fortress and its original fall...

And the irony of it is just so great...

I can do nothing but share their memorial slab with you...

For you see the one who ultimately was responsible for the death of the fortress...

Was the death of this dwarf...

HILARITY!

The bridges I installed in the cliff homes to protect my dwarves were the creator of the very force that ended the fortress!

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2012, 11:16:38 am »

Deliciously ironic

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2012, 12:21:00 pm »

Is anybody going to reclaim and work on it? I'd sure like to see it.

Regarding Minas Tirith: I think you would not be able to build it in all its detail. At that scale, the resolution is too coarse. So you would have to redesign it as well. You might want to take a short course on blueprint drafting; I did, and the things I learned were helpful for my own megaproject.

The trouble with goblin ambushes during building is that you have to have your civilians out there--they can't train as soldiers too much, or they'll have no time to become masons and miners. The best move, I have found, is to build a wall posthaste around the area where you will have them working. That way, only flying enemies will find their way to your workers, and those can be taken care of by marksdwarf squads when they show up. Another option--the one I took--is to build entirely underground. It requires hollowing out an area to build in, but that isn't a big deal because it's just a lot of mining. Wouldn't work for this mountain peak idea, though, obviously.

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2012, 10:21:18 pm »

I've been progressing quite well on the city.

And yeah its not so much exactly minis tirith as its taking the basic principles of it and building that way.

I've actually had to reclaim (again) due to goblins this time though rather then ghosts!

its annoying though every time that happens I have more gobbos to deal with hanging out all over my fortress.

I suppose I could try for an adventure sweep but even getting this far north is going to be a massive undertaking.

I'm kind of dreading and looking forward too when immigrants actually have to brave the wastes surrounding a fortress.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2012, 11:26:24 am »

I've been generating worlds and looking for legitimate mountain embarks.  The best I've found is is 45-Z levels from lowest surface point to highest (on a 4x4 embark).  Any suggestions for worldgen parameters to improves this?
()==[:::::::::::::>

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2012, 11:44:11 am »

I've been generating worlds and looking for legitimate mountain embarks.  The best I've found is is 45-Z levels from lowest surface point to highest (on a 4x4 embark).  Any suggestions for worldgen parameters to improves this?
It depends on how you want to do it, but any sized cliff face can be created in seconds with obsidian via dfhack.
Personally, I've done 30z levels in ice this way, and that was quite interesting. :)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2012, 03:13:01 pm »

I managed to generate an embark point with 69 Z-levels between top of the mountain and ground level. I don't know how the original poster managed to get greenery on top of his, though! The top of my mountain is solid rock. You have to go all the way down to get a bit of green forest.
()==[:::::::::::::>

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2012, 05:56:25 pm »

Making your world slightly patchwork seems to be the best method, then look for ^ mountains next to forests or other sites...

It took me about 2 in every 30 tries to get an embark that has trees.

YOU NEED SHRUBERY OR TREES or else the underground is uninhabited.

Hope that helps...

I'm taking a short break from this as I'm tired of rebuilding farming stockpile infrastructure over and over again.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2012, 08:28:00 am »

Whats its current state?

Got pics?

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2012, 04:09:45 pm »

Here is a very near entire embark stonesense for my lovelies...

Brought to you by the magic of photoshop, obsessive compulsive copy pasting and of course DWARFINESS.

I've included the tallest peak in the range (the one in the middle at the top is tallest by about three z levels and as mentioned earlier I embarked and scouted around on ALL MOUNTAIN RANGES IN THE REGION to confirm this)

I am starting to think in addition to carving that peak as my imperial/royal quarters I also am gonna make the mountain face into some suitably stern dwarf face, who will also be engraved with the history and toils of the many hundreds (or likely thousands by the time I get there) dwarven lives sacrificed for the working of the great stone.

You can also see the starting excavations of the trade keep which by my own madness and as practice for the royal peak shall have all of its exterior walls engraved down to the ramp exit.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7