Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Carving a Mountain Peak Into a Tower  (Read 29681 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Carving a Mountain Peak Into a Tower
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2012, 05:20:30 pm »

Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2012, 02:14:03 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bravo.

More like "da fuq?" seriously, having played the save, you really have to have the mountain peak in your head for a while to get used to the flow of the different sites.

That place is going to be just insane for adventure mode.

Hey have you thought of just having a morul type experiment going for a while, super leveling a few select dwarves and then converting them to uber soldiers? At that point they should be able to defend you almost on their own.

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2012, 12:01:08 am »

I actually had a vamp of one in my start, danger room trained vampire sword dwarf.

Held off entire seiges on her own...

Then ghosts happened...

Also the intent is that this will be an AWESOME adventure fort to try and piece out and explore... I might suggest modding in a flyer race as playable though because there are gonna be lots of carvings you can't reach otherwise.

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2012, 03:20:05 am »

Alright, progress two fold!

First of all I've managed to keep the starting seven of a reclaim alive!

I rebuilt the danger room and initiated massive military training operations.

There is no need to manufacture anything but booze, food and coffins at this point.

And with the massive farming silo there is PLENTY of plant stuff for food and booze.

I've managed to weather ambushes and even a SEIGE, which was mostly driven off by their sleeper agents being torn apart by the nearly 20 wardogs.

And most important of all I've completed carving Tradekeep out of its mountain shell!

Pictures in spoiler below!

I also already have my future baron situated in the most opulant of tradekeep's quarters.

Things are looking pretty positive.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2012, 04:24:35 am »

Yaay update!

Keep at it!

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2012, 11:42:48 pm »

Amazing Discovery!

It turns out there is some arrangement of occurrences with reclaims that can convert your local goblin immigrants (previous sieges/ambushes still loitering) into permanent friendly defenders of your fortresses.

I just noticed this after my last two sieges there are two goblins still friendly to me.

I'm gonna roll with the great works of the dwarves have inspired even the darkest of hearts to join in helping acomplish this great work.

Also I've found what to do with all those big buildings I can't fill with enough workshops/livingquarters/tombs.

WAREHOUSES!

Also I've started carving dwarf faces into the mountains wherever I have a lot of mountain that would otherwise be mined away.

This goes well with dwarves being the symbol of my current civilization.

I expect that I will be ready to begin full scale construction on the royal palace soon.

But I have not gotten offered to be a barony on the reclaim... does anyone know if there is a bug with reclaims and getting titles again?

oh yeah and here are some pictures

So I'm thinking of maybe creating metal sculptures of the most popular weapons of my fortress for the various sentinel statues.

Just for that added impact...

Getting the metal and the metal workers rounded up for it will be a bit of an undertaking but I suspect will be SO worth it.

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2012, 11:33:27 pm »

Well this is surprising  ???...

I seem to have made my fortress highly successful, nothing of tragic or hilarious note has occurred in several years.

There was some possible FPS issues that I had to work hard to resolve, but some cleaning solved that.

I'm currently in a holding position as I ramp up the various industries I'll need to properly furnish the palace.

To get my Mountain Carving Guild (engraver/miner original seven and a few early apprentices) up to the task of embellishing the palace I've set them to the massive but ultimately boring task of engraving all of the tombs in the fortress (we seem to have stabilized again at 800 dead dwarves with only a few losses a year to seiges/vampires dead).

Once again I'm pretty sure the mayor is a vampire, however he seems to be kept so busy with hauling crap that no children have turned up drained in a few years.

Is it possible to accuse him? Do I need to  or am I going to have to get vigalante?

To increase the FUN factor I've used DF to turn on diplomats so I can piss off the elves and humans better, and to negotiate more gold from my human trade partners.

I am also begining to dig a stairwell into the caverns so I can open up more FUN that way as well. Hopefully this will increase the rate of hilarious hijinx for me to report.

I fear I may have a embarked too far from the necro tower after all, its been 32 years and I have not gotten one necromancer  >:(

The palace is not quite in a state that I feel ready to show it off yet, and there is nothing of note that has changed architecturally.

So does anyone have some of their own suggestions for FUN inducing side projects along side the general mountain carving?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 11:35:03 pm by nighzmarquls »

wolfwood296

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2012, 11:47:24 pm »

have magma comeout of the dwarves' faces (but i don't know how to do this without flooding the map
I've asked Uristeamer to begin investigating his duck's ability to eat a fully grown dwarf.- quote from broseph stalin

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2012, 12:14:50 am »

DONT Pierce the caverns.

The fun loss from FPS loss will be staggering with the new path finding that it opens up.

Just let the game cruise along for a while and keep carving out and cleaning up the surface.

Get some un-usables into pump operator jobs so that they gym up to being strong and then usable for hauling labors and / or for army work.

Hows the mine carts going?

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2012, 12:44:28 am »

Thanks for the heads up on the cavern pierce...

I had already dug down to absolute Z 99 and not found them before I read that post...

holding off on any deeper delving for now...

Unfortunately my fortress is in a constant state of near total dwarf utilization between general life support, a few crafts and hauling crap to the atom smashers, I keep a little less then 50% of my population in the military and half of those are training in the danger room year-around (has turned out to be the best way to avoid unhappy thoughts from being 'too long on patrol')

I've been fiddling with glass to try and get some windows finished for my various works but that is slow going as it turns out I accidentally used all my crystal glass from the caravans in the gem cutter's workshop (I think)

Have not gone with minecarts yet because stone sense does not support any of those graphics and it will fill all my pictures with yellow boxes :(.

However restricted stockpiles is a GODSEND.

Also just got a siege...

Turns out my military is not exactly invulnerable after all, just really really tough.

Suffered about six losses.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2012, 03:50:49 am »

For some reason this entire project reminds me of the egyptian pyramids, except on a larger scale.
Great ramps scaling the side of the mountain for the slaves masons and miners, hundreds of dead...
Props to you, good sir. I don't think you could be more dwarfy if you tried.
Statues and pillars lining the road up, or magma ports ready to flood the side of the mountain free of invaders maybe.

Also, minecarts cannons down the main ramp. Might tip the ratio of Deaths vs Migrants though. I think someone had the first dwarven headshot with a minecart the other day. Getting trapped under the minecart and dragged along, before getting his skull pushed through his brain.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2012, 05:45:24 am »

Incidentally, on that carving of the Dwarf King. Is that a large bushy beard that you are carving out?

Because that would be awesome.

Most dwarf faces are pretty 2D. Getting a nice thick beard that cascades down would be pretty cool.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2012, 01:07:04 pm »

The pillars along the walkway is a cool idea, might be too late to dig them in many places instead of having to construct.  How about a deep "Sparta" style pit that goes down into one of the caverns?  I guess that goes against the FPS advice, though.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2012, 07:38:33 pm »

Incidentally, on that carving of the Dwarf King. Is that a large bushy beard that you are carving out?

Because that would be awesome.

Most dwarf faces are pretty 2D. Getting a nice thick beard that cascades down would be pretty cool.
Indeed, it would! :D
Make him cry tears of magma that are funnelled through the pleats in his beard, running down the mountain and scorching everything beneath his firery gaze away to naught but ash. Might want to give him a big axe as well, that could be attached to a lever and dropped on scurrilous invaders.

A sparta pit does  sound fun :D but yeah like you said, the FPS would probably drop like a stone. Could always just make it 10-20Z deep and line it with menacing spikes, you could even go and harvest the bones whenever whatever died in it has rotted away. Then again, you could tunnel down to the magma layer and drop entire sieges into it, just for the hell of it.

Whatever happens, you're doing an awesome job: Keep it up :D

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2012, 08:56:22 pm »

The trouble with magma is I'll have to dig for it, but I've got an aquifier so a dwarven water reactor should be quite possible with relatively little lag.

A pit of despair does have its appeal but I think I'll hold on that, the cavern breaching and magma works until I've finished carving down the mountains and restricting the total pathable area of the fortress down to the city streets and buildings...

During that process I'll also be constructing the GATE and hopefully be able to force all migrants and trade caravans to approach my fortress via the GATE...

And sieges too eventually...

Also since Sieges cannot break down drawbridges or other major constructions (and for that white city under invasion feel) There shall be no pathing blockers to hide my civilians behind!

Only pure dorf power shall stand between goblins and the workers of the mountain!

Updates might be a bit slow for the next few days as the work is long and I also need to focus on some other projects.

But do not despair...

I expect I'll have this done before toady has the next release.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7