Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Carving a Mountain Peak Into a Tower  (Read 29690 times)

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
Re: Carving a Mountain Peak Into a Tower
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2012, 11:23:07 am »

This is an exceedingly dorfy project. It makes me think of The Endless Stair
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2012, 10:07:40 am »

I am still doing this.

The transition of the save was a success, hauling and mining tweaks have really sped up the process, screenshots coming soon.

Still working on getting farms up and running, trolls came by and destroyed almost the entire farming outpost in the last seige.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2012, 10:32:35 am »

This is... inspirational.

I will drop a submarine into a volcano, just because of this thread.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2012, 04:29:51 pm »

Good gods... This is truly beautiful. I cannot WAIT to see the next round of screenshots.

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2012, 09:30:42 pm »

I spent a while just stitching together a full capture of the entire exterior of the fort so far I'm gonna play a bit now...

Be aware, that this image is quite large and even then does not show the entire map, only the section I've actively landscaped which is a good 38 z levels below the absolute peak which shall be converted (when I get the city farming infrastructure and foot hills done) into the royal chambers/great tower/tombs of greatness.

Also if I still feel like it I'll also probably make the highest tower spout magma... cuz... ya know...

The trade keep is at the top...

The mid section buildings are just slabs of stone and have not been hollowed out but I intend to make that my hospital and manufacturing complex/living conditions.

The stout little buildings at the bottom were carved out of the hills there so that I could provide my farmers some pleasant engraved villas for their toil in the fields.

Eventually all major food industries will be moved down to the farming centers

Also the stone 'posts' in the area WERE a fence, but I had not realized upright grates attract trolls and this and all the farmer's beds were destroyed in the last seige.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

codyorr

• Bay Watcher
  • Alcohol is how I make DF more !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2012, 01:32:01 am »

Whoa! Nice work!
A rotting horse corpse since 201. !!DRUNK FORTRESS!!

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2012, 01:51:37 am »

a horrible booze supply line failure has again decimated the population and completely saturated the fort's burial arrangements...

So far our greatest cause of death is bezerker madness...

Winning out against goblins and the danger room!

This might have something to do with the vampire in charge of the militia, but damn, that vamp kills gobbos good.

I am withholding sentencing until either the great project is completed or the goblins slay the vampire.

whichever comes first.

With any luck that will cull the herd of 30 some children that are lazing about the fort.

This is a construction site for a fortress WORTHY of being called MOUNTAIN HOME.

Not a daycare.

over 340 dead...

Every slot in each of the walls of the dead have been filled...

I shall have to make expansions...

Nearly completed with the water systems and hospital spaces.

Urist McPenguinhead

• Bay Watcher
  • dungeon master with questionable motives
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2012, 02:09:53 am »

Those pics are amazing. I can't wait to see how it ends up.

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2012, 04:15:29 am »

Awesome work. Makes me want to play DF again.

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2012, 02:32:16 am »

Alright, after a pretty stressful time where the population was still crashing (it eventually settled at around 49 then began climbing again to settle on 60).

Primary cause of death had shifted in this recent period from rampaging rabid dwarves getting put down to ghost related death.

However with the hospital building finally operational, the water works running below.

And some more catacombs set into said water works I think I might have the population to a point that things are stable.

A little worried about the military, the heavy hitters are still strong but I need to get some fresh blood into the squads.

But the danger room can't be risked to be put back into full swing till I get back to at least 80 productive dwarves.

The winnowing of the children via vampire, rabid hate and the wrath of a terrifying ghost and bludgeoning poltergeist has brought it down to a dozen or so survivors.

Maybe they will make it all the way to adult hood...

Behold the surprisingly small hospital.

It was REALLY busy until just now with every bed full of injured dwarves but thanks to the ministrations of my seven or so administrators and butchers (every single medically inclined dwarf went insane in the great sobering of 311 and that was almost 30 mad doctors!) every single one of them has managed to survive.

As long as the resident ghost does not scare them to death...

I am working to also convert one or two floors with catacomb where I'm not building a soap industry and food stores for the patients.

I think my next project will be filling some of the other structures with proper meeting halls (now all with deep wells to fresh water) and apartments for the inevitable flood of dwarves wanting a place to live...

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2012, 08:46:11 pm »

I have over 500 dead bodies in caskets in the various catacombs and walls of dead and other spots in what is rapidly turning more into a necropolis then a capital.

And I am still not done burying all of the dead!

I have 10 adults in the military that I know are alive...

the rest I have no idea how many live...

Just barely breaking even in population growth via migrants...

Maybe...

If any of these kids survive to adulthood they are gonna be bad asses for living through this haunted hell hole.

Every time a ghost is put down a new one arises.

Even with the goblins massacring thirty dwarves in the great charge of the farming camp the primary cause of death is terror and poltergeist bludgeoning.

Oh and there is still a vampire somewhere...

But not sure who this time...

Truly this place has become accursed in spite of the noble goal we have set forth with.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2012, 10:42:45 pm »

Imagine if this was an evil biome.....

Not a pleasant thought.

I suppose at this rate of population fluctuations you should just recreate Boatmurdered's Operation 'Fuck the World' and flood the base of the mountain with magma to solve the goblin problem.

That or seal off the fort when the next gobbo anti-Christmas comes.

Or fifty billion traps everywhere.

The possibilities are endless.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2012, 01:35:05 am »

My mayor who is now also my broker and one of my few surviving military I really suspect is a vampire...

But damn it did he she just manage to do JUST enough damage to the goblins to send them fleeing when they had us!

We were down to invalids, children and that one mayor.

And the goblin tide was turned!

I am going to give him her a shrine in the throne room of the king!

Hail Lor Kulaloddom!

Savior of Osordishmab!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 01:36:58 am by nighzmarquls »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2012, 04:25:16 am »

ptw helms deep

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2012, 07:20:19 am »

Beautiful!
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7