Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can you move liquids between different embarks?  (Read 1849 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can you move liquids between different embarks?
« on: April 16, 2012, 09:06:54 pm »

Say that I find a perfect embark site, but I'd like some surface magma.  There happens to be a volcano on the next 16x16 embark square over.  Would the following method work?  Asking now to save myself like 4 hours of work for no reason:

1) Embark on the volcano with a long skinny embark, and supplies to immediately build automated magma proof pumps and such.
2) Pump magma to the edge of the map, and then make sure it ends in a mandmade pipe one or two z levels up in the air, draining off the side of the map.
3) Embark next to that first embark, and dig a huge reservoir right next to where the pipe would be on the first embark, if you could see it.
4) Go into adventure mode, and walk to the intersection, then watch magma flow out the pipe and fill the reservoir.  Kill yourself after it is complete.
5) Reclaim the second embark, and enjoy (limited volume, but plentiful) magma?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can you move liquids between different embarks?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 09:10:35 pm »

Pumps dont work, but if you can get it downhill it works, like a broken adequate.

People once flooded entire cities using water by using a adequate.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 09:11:54 pm »

Sweet!  Okay so I just need to fill a big cistern on the first side then, and dig fortifications into the walls, then the same on the other, but slightly lower, with the fortifications lining up.  That doesn't sound so hard.

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 09:15:54 pm »

Theoretically it should work... I've seen lava spills go on.

(I said lava because above ground, lava is lava, underground, lava is magma, GIVE ME A BREAK.)

btw it's aqueduct not adequate LOL.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 09:17:04 pm »

Theoretically it should work... I've seen lava spills go on.

(I said lava because above ground, lava is lava, underground, lava is magma, GIVE ME A BREAK.)

btw it's aqueduct not adequate LOL.

I used spellcheck bro.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 09:19:35 pm »

RELATED question:

If you embark such that your embark site straddles the ocean between an island and the mainland, and build an artificial bridge between the two, then abandon, and then embark on the island, will you get sieges and things from the mainland you wouldn't have gotten before?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 09:23:47 pm »

I used spellcheck bro.

It may be spelled correctly, but it is still the wrong word: Aqueduct.

If you embark such that your embark site straddles the ocean between an island and the mainland, and build an artificial bridge between the two, then abandon, and then embark on the island, will you get sieges and things from the mainland you wouldn't have gotten before?

Pretty sure site access is determined in worldgen; I don't think things like that get recalculated after it ends.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 09:26:09 pm »

Oh well, 1 for 2.  Thanks.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 11:30:20 pm »

Adequate - Mildly experienced or average.
Aqueduct - River Rails that transport water, brought about in the roman times.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 01:31:01 am »

as for the island question, you *can* do it. and don't even need to build a bridge. you just need two abandoned embarks across from each other that both overlap a little into the sea, one on the mainland, one on the island. then said island will have all the mainlanders as neighbors...somehow. it works, i just don't understand how, without boats...

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 01:42:45 am »

as for the island question, you *can* do it. and don't even need to build a bridge. you just need two abandoned embarks across from each other that both overlap a little into the sea, one on the mainland, one on the island. then said island will have all the mainlanders as neighbors...somehow. it works, i just don't understand how, without boats...

I stand corrected. Will this only work with abandoned embarks? What's the trigger event to get mainlanders flagged as accessible neighbors?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 01:59:48 am »

Pumps work in adventure mode if and only if they're powered by wind or water. You can still pull levers and stuff. Make sure you have a solid grasp of how DF advanced mechanics works though.

The ocean ghost-bridge trick will work.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.