Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we use for the Bard Class?

The present build (Continuance Effect based)
BMM42's build (page 38)
A different build (Submit in thread)

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 45

Author Topic: Homestuck RPG v1.2 build thread  (Read 78910 times)

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
Re: Homestuck RPG OOC Thread (The doc needs to be much fluffier)
« Reply #555 on: October 23, 2012, 01:52:41 am »

As always, tell me what you like or don't like about the ideas presented above. I think it's a better idea than introducing a continuance mechanic. Also, better names would be... Better, I guess?

Also, a proposed weapon alchemy trait:

3 points
Innocuous Double
This weapon can be changed between two different kind abstratus you have as a minor action. All applicable upgrades function for both kind abstrati chosen.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alternate title: Homestuck RPG: THE HEIST.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe later. I'm still attached to the recently resurrected panty raid joke.

I kind of want a comic where Steve and Mikhael sneak into one of the girl's houses, and drag Alex along for some reason, and when they are inevitably caught, Alex get's caught holding the bag, as it were.

The idea amuses me.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile

I think a continuance mechanic might be too complex a gimmick for just one class. I like this new thing you have here more. Favorite part is the drawing powers from others, that feels fitting and interesting.

One thing.. wait, I forgot what I was going to say. I'll post it tomorrow if I can remember and if it's still relevant.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile

I'm now determined to have Mikhael loot the homes of all the female players when no one is around. Afterwards I'm pretty sure he will unlock an achievement, a custom title, and a cosmetic item of sorts. :P
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm now determined to have Mikhael loot the homes of all the female players when no one is around. Afterwards I'm pretty sure he will unlock an achievement, a custom title, and a cosmetic item of sorts. :P

Spoiler: I can see it now... (click to show/hide)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile

Sorry to be a bother, and this might be a little bit harsh, but I can not believe someone could make a worse Bard than SC. Most of the passive stuff is okay, although I'm not too sure about Jokerkind, but its probably okay. Honk Pile is, iirc, somewhat meh. Deafened doesnt really do much, so its sort of worse than Sassacrusher.

Pave the Way seems to be a worse version of the Mage's Wweakening Broadside. Slightly better at early levels, but will be outshined by mid to high levels.

Mass Confusion. No. Just no. No one will pass on an at-will Daze. Especially one that affects everyone in a Burst 5.

Once More, with Feeling is good and just gets better with levels. Once you start getting those powerful Fraymotifs, your friend gets two shots with one.

Imperfect Copy is actually something I like, although isn't that great of a Boon. Could probably be reworded for clarity, or at least to allow for a little more variability.

Mime's Revenge is also very good, in the way of being somewhat more powerful than anyone else's Fraymotif.

Also the God Tier that was made by the guy who made 1.1 is considered pretty terrible and probaly shouldnt be used as a base, just a heads up. Alchemy is ridiculously powerful so losing your ability to draw your alchemies as easily and having less is pretty crippling.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are you saying this Bard is worse than the original? Ambiguous phrasing.

Once More With Feeling and Mime's Revenge both kind of remind me of the Final Fantasy V Mime class. However, it's probably worth making it so that the encounter power or fraymotif used cannot be your own (unless that's what Ally implies in D&D anyway). That would fit more with the "passive class" (assisting) theme.

I would also agree on the god tier, but I honestly have no idea what would be better. Maybe not have as much rad combat power and instead have a large boost to Title Power? Not sure.

Still thinking. Pave the Way doesn't seem to deal any damage but it's also hugely useful, so maybe Recharge 6? Wait, no, it does do damage. I could see it working better without that.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 02:00:00 pm by freeformschooler »

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile

Are you saying this Bard is worse than the original? Ambiguous phrasing.

Once More With Feeling and Mime's Revenge both kind of remind me of the Final Fantasy V Mime class. However, it's probably worth making it so that the encounter power or fraymotif used cannot be your own (unless that's what Ally implies in D&D anyway). That would fit more with the "passive class" (assisting) theme.

I would also agree on the god tier, but I honestly have no idea what would be better. Maybe not have as much rad combat power and instead have a large boost to Title Power? Not sure.

Still thinking. Pave the Way doesn't seem to deal any damage but it's also hugely useful, so maybe Recharge 6? Wait, no, it does do damage. I could see it working better without that.
Worse in the way that it is probably better. And SC's classes were better than the original classes. (The Aggrievement changelog is horseshit, probably shouldn't use it to be honest)

Ally means not you.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So Org, would you suggest changing Once More, With Feeling to be changed so it only recharges an encounter aggrievement, rather than just any encounter power?

We can drop Mass Confusion, you're right, it's probably too abusable.

I still really like the idea of Mime's Revenge, and it isn't terribly overpowered since the Bard may not use their native primary stats with the resulting attack, and someone else needs to use a fraymotif in order for them to use theirs.

Did you take a look at my revised God-Tier? I think it now keeps fair balance with the other two Epic Boons.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I still feel like one of the boons should have a boost to Title Power. Maybe Class Mastery?

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I still feel like one of the boons should have a boost to Title Power. Maybe Class Mastery?

The God-Tier Boon boosts it indirectly.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile

So Org, would you suggest changing Once More, With Feeling to be changed so it only recharges an encounter aggrievement, rather than just any encounter power?

We can drop Mass Confusion, you're right, it's probably too abusable.

I still really like the idea of Mime's Revenge, and it isn't terribly overpowered since the Bard may not use their native primary stats with the resulting attack, and someone else needs to use a fraymotif in order for them to use theirs.

Did you take a look at my revised God-Tier? I think it now keeps fair balance with the other two Epic Boons.
1) Nope, bad idea. What if no one else takes their Aggrievement Encounter?

2) Good.

3) You would be right; however, a Bard will PROBABLY not choose to use their Fraymotif on a bad match for them. However, you have found Mime's Revenge's second fatal flaw: if no one has a similar stat they use, for example, being the only Mangrit class in your session, you get a somewhat shitty Fraymotif.

4) Yes. Sorry to say, but it seems to have the same problem in the Alchemy Department. Anyway, we always took Epic Boons in the wrong way. Personally, I think a GM should sort of tailor make Epic Boons for their players, and they should be taken from more of a Epic Path or whatever from 4e. Just my two cents.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Personally, I think a GM should sort of tailor make Epic Boons for their players, and they should be taken from more of a Epic Path or whatever from 4e. Just my two cents.

I am ALWAYS an advocate of this approach whenever possible. Game built around players > players built around game.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 45