Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we use for the Bard Class?

The present build (Continuance Effect based)
BMM42's build (page 38)
A different build (Submit in thread)

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 45

Author Topic: Homestuck RPG v1.2 build thread  (Read 78973 times)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: Homestuck RPG OOC Thread (Home of the Bay12 v1.2 Homestuck RPG Build)
« Reply #300 on: July 16, 2012, 08:03:04 pm »

Man, the only fraymotif I could think of was Claire/Troy called something like "The Curveball that Can't Be Hit" or something like that. It's based off this one scene in one of those cheesy kung fu movie dubs (I think Drunken Monkey? the guy in it drinks a lot and has a grand-uncle, if that helps at all, which it probably doesn't).

Yeah, it was pretty dumb.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 16, 2012, 09:06:49 pm »

"The Curveball that Can't Be Hit"

Not catchy enough. Try bringing it down to one or two words :P
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 16, 2012, 11:43:28 pm »

Actually, on further reflection, freeform is right again. Making Claspect power a skill would standardize the strength of what it can do, with the exact capabilities being determined between the player and the GM.

Which opens the obvious question: Should some Classes or Aspects specialize in this skill? Which ones? I think Pages would be an obvious choice, considering their mostly unexplained 'potential'.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 17, 2012, 12:10:18 am »

Yes, Page sounds great.

As for the skill itself, it fits into the current system perfect. If we can have both a class and aspect that give a bonus to it then it basically becomes just another workable item on the skill list from the original PDF. The only problem is: what stat does it use? Maybe Img or Pul, but I'm sure we can think of something.

EDIT: As for aspect, these are the only two pairs of aspects in the original PDF which have identical skill bonuses: Heart-Life, Blood-Doom. So any of those four could be replaced with a Claspect bonus without losing a necessary possible skill bonus.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 12:19:05 am by freeformschooler »

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 17, 2012, 06:06:24 am »

Page's skill would likely be Mystery. It just kind of makes sense, considering what we've see of Jake.

I don't get why Pages get +4 to acrobatics.

Edit
Also: Update on Crusaderstuck.
Prince Mikhael of Greece, the son of King Mikhael The Great of Greece, has just usurped the throne from Queen Mimi the Just of Croatia. And now he was her in jail. If you recall, Queen Mimi was my wife.

So yes. My son just became the king of Croatia and threw my wife (And his mother) in jail.

I love this game.

Edit2:
My son is now offically on a roll, conquering lands left and right. I am so proud of him.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 08:16:57 am by Johnfalcon99977 »

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 17, 2012, 10:48:34 am »

And then John was Dad.

As for skill power, I'd say Title Power (possibly finalized skill name) should draw from IMG. Out of those Aspects, the only one I'd really be behind changing that for is Doom, but we don't know enough about it.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 17, 2012, 11:01:43 am »

And then John was Dad.

And now we need a comic with Battle Hardened FeudalPrince!Mikhael finding that note. Make it happen.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 17, 2012, 11:16:17 am »

As for skill power, I'd say Title Power (possibly finalized skill name) should draw from IMG. Out of those Aspects, the only one I'd really be behind changing that for is Doom, but we don't know enough about it.

Another victory for the God Stat. Here, have some poorly shopped sheets:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 17, 2012, 01:42:12 pm »

Sage/Seer of Hope - Guiding Light (Encounter): Everyone gets a +3 to hit and a +3 to damage for one turn.

How is this? I'm not sure exactly how health and AC change from level to level, so this might need some tweaking. Maybe it should scale with the character level?

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 17, 2012, 09:07:01 pm »

Sage/Seer of Hope - Guiding Light (Encounter): Everyone gets a +3 to hit and a +3 to damage for one turn.

How is this? I'm not sure exactly how health and AC change from level to level, so this might need some tweaking. Maybe it should scale with the character level?

We've already abandoned set powers for the Title Power. Instead, you could attempt to grant bonuses as a minor action, and depending on how high you shoot for, the difficulty would be so high. Using it on multiple targets would also increase the difficulty.

And then John was Dad.

And now we need a comic with Battle Hardened FeudalPrince!Mikhael finding that note. Make it happen.

I need a new scanner, dammit. Or a tablet, I am not choosy. I think I'll make that a 7th or so tier concern for paycheck distribution.

Another victory for the God Stat. Here, have some poorly shopped sheets:

Come to think of it, we should probably make a new sheet design. It needn't be drastically different, but it'd be a nice addition to the PDF. Also, cool plot art as always. Also also, putting that revised Mimi sheet in the OP for the main thread.

Speaking of, we're swapping over to Class Power sets used in the v1.2 doc. So, from now on, we won't be using the old PDF for Class stuff. Except for Troy, who is sort of a Sylph class, which we have nothing for. If Riccto wants to class-change to Maid, which was lumped in with Sylph previously, he can choose to do so.

Man, we need to work on some Sylph powers and stuff.

EDIT: Going away, won't be back until most likely friday. Talk amongst yourselves.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 19, 2012, 03:31:32 pm »

Hmm. I have a flavor suggestion (JF is doing the flavor or at least some of it right?) I don't really like the text for certain classes like Mage, nor do I feel like it fits. Here's a comparison of the old Mage text and the new one:

Quote from: Old Text
You might have adapted the code that got all of you into the worlds of Skaia, or been the only one with
the technical know-how to run the game's servers. Maybe you're a high-blooded snob with more free
time, privilege, and ambition then you have patience for those you consider beneath you. You are an
expert at what you do, and what you do is show up every chump who dares cross your path. The class of
Mage is often chosen for a player whose personal journey is intended to encompass learning humility to
go with their talent. Another possibility is that you were selected for the great aptitude you show, despite
suffering from insecurities or self-doubt that you are meant to shed during the course of the adventure.
Regardless of the details you are a deadly adversary with an uncanny understanding of the systems that
underlay the game.
Quote from: New Text
You SUCK. At least, thats what you keep telling yourself. You tend to think of yourself in an extremely negative light, regardless of any of your achievements, if you even call them that! Now, you're not about to stock up on Black Dye for all your clothes and hold a knife to your wrists while listening to Heavy Emo music (Unless you're into that stuff already), but you still have drastically low self-esteem. But, luckily for you, Sburb just seems to like teaching angsty teenagers a lesson about self respect, even if they don't want it. Mages like you will find themselves tasked with learning to master something they would normally think as impossible for them. During this quest, maybe you will realize that what you have is better than you think, and begin to enjoy your life more. Or not. The latter case normally ends in Death.

You see the difference there? The new text implies very specific defining personality traits, whereas the old style leaves a lot open to interpretation. And yes, Alex's personality is much closer to the new text than the old one, but that doesn't mean we have to change "Mage" to "Alex". Like D&D alignments, flavor text doesn't have to be followed strictly (or at all - believable characters are more than just two-dimensional!)

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 19, 2012, 04:31:43 pm »

I was meaning to rewrite the mage so it was less heavy-handed for a while now, but I haven't got around to it as of yet. However, I think the old text is worse then the new text. To me, it completely misses the point of the class, saying that Mages needed to be smart, l33t hackers, or some other non-sense if I recall. In short, it says that you need to have certain skills, or status. This is what I want to avoid. I want to make it so that Classes and Aspects encompass personality types, not the abilities of someone. And while I do understand your D&D comparison, you have to keep in mind: D&D classes or alignments ARE NOT Skaia's titles. The way Skaia makes its titles is based off of the quirks and flaws of various people, not their situation or abilities. When I write fluff I wanted to make it so that people have a general idea of what people who have said Aspect or class are like.

Thats my counter-arguement. I hope this answer makes enough sense.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 19, 2012, 04:37:34 pm »

Oh I do understand. I'm not actually arguing for a switch to the old text -- it makes more sense for Mages to gain knowledge and abilities through SBURB rather than those being a requirement of entering. What I mean is rewriting the new texts to be slightly more vague, like the old texts, while keeping the same general ideas.

For example, "you still have drastically low self-esteem" could be changed to "maybe you don't feel like you're as useful as your friends, or perhaps you just feel like there's a lot left to improve on." Not word-for-word, but it's better to leave interpretation open like that I think.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 19, 2012, 04:39:28 pm »

Exactly why I'm going to (Eventually) rewrite it. I don't know if you noticed, but I occassionally tend to overeact. :P

Edit: So me and Freeform are trying to set up something awesome. Feel free to take a look. So far, I've written the introduction, and I'm currently waiting for Freeform to set up the area where we place all of the tropes. Also feel free to tell me how horribly off my Synopsis of each of your characters is.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 05:49:38 pm by Johnfalcon99977 »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 19, 2012, 06:02:56 pm »

I don't think we need a synopsis yet. I'll save that in a file for later and list the character as bullet-points up until we get a "characters" page.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 45