Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we use for the Bard Class?

The present build (Continuance Effect based)
BMM42's build (page 38)
A different build (Submit in thread)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 45

Author Topic: Homestuck RPG v1.2 build thread  (Read 79015 times)

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
Re: Homestuck RPG OOC Thread (Home of the Bay12 v1.2 Homestuck RPG Build)
« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2012, 07:09:28 am »

I'm not sure about Active/Passive aspects. How could you have a class tailored to help others, but an aspect made to only help yourself, and vice versa? And restricting classes based on passive/active aspects just sounds stupid.

Maybe if you could elaborate, Blade?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 08:22:32 am by Johnfalcon99977 »
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2012, 01:29:25 pm »

Okay, each class would be set on whether it would have the passive or active function of whatever aspect it chooses, i.e., Rogue would always be Passive, never Active, Thief would always be Active, never Passive, etc.

Having both these classes have the same abilities from their Aspect wouldn't make much sense, hence the Passive/Active Aspect pairs.

Or does that still not make sense? What's not clicking here for you?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2012, 01:33:20 pm »

I think that makes sense. Though I don't think we need to totally rework each aspect for the passive/active switch -- some things could carry over for both sides.

Also, now I need an image for the 1.2 Homestuck RPG build. I think I may draw one or take something from MSPA, but if I do get one I'd prefer it have a simplified version of each character in the RPG (facing off against a foe? Exploring Skaia? Dunno).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 01:35:09 pm by freeformschooler »

applesauce machine

• Bay Watcher
  • 2011 Memory Ln.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2012, 02:26:40 pm »

Also, now I need an image for the 1.2 Homestuck RPG build.
I CAN HEL--

if I do get one I'd prefer it have a simplified version of each character in the RPG
Oh. Nevermind then. Simplifying is something I am awful at. Unless someone tells me what it is they specifically want me to make. In that case, I could help with that, provided I know how big you want them.
THE GOVERNMENT IS PUTTING BIBLES IN THE WATER SUPPLY.
Sigtext x 20 and avatar gallery

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2012, 03:26:27 pm »

Okay, each class would be set on whether it would have the passive or active function of whatever aspect it chooses, i.e., Rogue would always be Passive, never Active, Thief would always be Active, never Passive, etc.

Took me a few seconds, but I think I understand now. So basically its a system where Aspects have two function, one for Active and Passive, which would be choosen depending on the class? That sounds like a fair plan, and I'm okay with it.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2012, 04:42:31 pm »

Wait, each character in the RPG as in this one? I think it might be a bit strange putting our characters instead of the actual MSPA ones. Unless you mean as examples or cover art or things like that. Or if this is just for us and not a release for anyone to use.

As for active/passive aspect powers, I think that's a good idea. Protecting your team with, say, Breath, is definitely going to be very different from destroying using it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 04:44:46 pm by SirAaronIII »
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2012, 04:50:55 pm »

It would just be cover art for the first page. The focus wouldn't be the characters, though.

Hmm... I think I will do it myself.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2012, 05:13:04 pm »

We could use our characters for tutorial sections and explanations of game mechanics. That'd be a fun little cameo, but it wouldn't take up the whole thing.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 25, 2012, 05:41:53 pm »

Hey, I like that.

Although... just as a note, I'm going to say including the stuff from the 1.1 PDF in the 1.2 doc is not going to be immediately feasible. It's a pdf with no original docs available. So we could either just put in the things that have changed, or we could build it from scratch.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 25, 2012, 05:46:14 pm »

Hey, I like that.

Although... just as a note, I'm going to say including the stuff from the 1.1 PDF in the 1.2 doc is not going to be immediately feasible. It's a pdf with no original docs available. So we could either just put in the things that have changed, or we could build it from scratch.

We're changing/adding a lot of things that were in already. We may as well make one from scratch.

Edit: So, I was thinking: Perhaps for the logo for this sucker, we make it the symbols of the twelve canon aspects surrounding Skaia. Y/N?

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2012, 08:07:17 pm »

Sure why not?

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2012, 08:59:21 pm »

It might be best to make one from scratch, and maybe not a hack of a hack. Might be best to just use regular old 4e.
There are a bunch of things that are broken in the current 1.1. We have a current game going using some of 1.2 and 1.1, but it is bad.
Players are rarely challenged, some are not even challenged by Denizens (although, admittedly, some of the original Denizens probably could have used a boost. We have tried to fix that.) . You can buy Second Winds for practically very little Alchemy Points. Encounter Long Resistances, and Encounter Long Flight.
Some of the Alchemy Common Cards as well. The Frost-element Frog thing? Can't remember its name off the top of my head, but anyway, one of its traits is a 3 point Restrain. Encounters are pretty much a joke. Step 1: Activate Flight, get out of range of melee monsters. Step 2: Shoot anything with ranged. Step 3: You already won, there is no step 3.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 26, 2012, 10:48:32 am »

Halp! My brother wants me to run an IRL tabletop session of HSRPG 1.1 just like I had previously mentioned doing with someone else. Except it wouldn't be maptools, it would be meatspace.

My current ideas are as follows:

1) I will be doing fast and furious Homestuck-style illustrations on index cards or some other kind of paper.
2) I will be narrating everything in second person. Yes, with him right there. YOU ARE STANDING IN YOUR ROOM etc.
3) I will be including some manner of GM PC just so he can have someone to connect to. The GM PC will avoid the spotlight like the dickens.
4) I will be using grid paper for a battlemap along with tiny illustrations for the characters.

If anyone thinks these are bad ideas for an IRL session then let me know. On the other hand, if anyone thinks this is a GOOD idea:

5) I may or may not be uploading the no doubt hilarious recap of events here.

Then let me know.

applesauce machine

• Bay Watcher
  • 2011 Memory Ln.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2012, 12:09:25 pm »

4) I will be using grid paper for a battlemap along with tiny illustrations for the characters.
Assuming you meant you'd draw/erase the characters (probably not), then you should use pieces for the players. Probably not paper thoug because they will be harder to move around than, say, maybe coins or crumbs or whatever small unique objects you can find.

DO IT DO IT
THE GOVERNMENT IS PUTTING BIBLES IN THE WATER SUPPLY.
Sigtext x 20 and avatar gallery

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2012, 01:20:38 pm »

Assuming you meant you'd draw/erase the characters (probably not), then you should use pieces for the players. Probably not paper thoug because they will be harder to move around than, say, maybe coins or crumbs or whatever small unique objects you can find.

DO IT DO IT

I agree with both sentiments here.

Also.

1) I will be doing fast and furious Homestuck-style illustrations on index cards or some other kind of paper.

Wow, I don't know how fast you can draw, but I wouldn't suggest this. I mean, for things you expect to need illustrations for, do them before hand, and any thing else, draw if you must, but this seems like an unneccesary thing that'd slow down the whole shebang.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 45