Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we use for the Bard Class?

The present build (Continuance Effect based)
BMM42's build (page 38)
A different build (Submit in thread)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 45

Author Topic: Homestuck RPG v1.2 build thread  (Read 78897 times)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: Homestuck RPG OOC Thread
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2012, 12:40:36 am »

Dungeons of Dredmor. It's a roguelike. I have it and I love it.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

applesauce machine

• Bay Watcher
  • 2011 Memory Ln.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2012, 11:15:00 am »

Also, apples, please put posts without actual actions in this thread.
Ohkay, my bad.

Also, I can see your new, disgruntled avatar, and what is DoD?
This has already been answered but I'll say it anyway: it is Dungeons of Dredmor, an awesome turn-based roguelike. You can get it on Steam, but be warned that it costs money.
THE GOVERNMENT IS PUTTING BIBLES IN THE WATER SUPPLY.
Sigtext x 20 and avatar gallery

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2012, 12:20:37 am »

Semiserious question: do we have the whole story planned out including silly injokes or are we just winging it as we go?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2012, 01:14:36 am »

Semiserious question: do we have the whole story planned out including silly injokes or are we just winging it as we go?
Blade might have some sort of stuff planned out. As for the rest of us, I'm pretty sure we're just winging it like a flock of pigeons. Or at least I am. .-.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2012, 02:49:26 am »

Major plot points, goals that must be achieved in order to claim the ultimate reward and etc. are all planned. What you all choose to do in regards to them is not. I can't control your actions as players, and I'll try not to try to.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2012, 10:19:05 am »

Big news, guys.

http://www.mspaforums.com/showthread.php?33724-The-Homestuck-tabletop-RPG-SYLLADEX-DECK-CREATOR-v-2/page19

An official announcement came through that the Homestuck RPG project in its current form is "dead" in terms of future updates. So even though the post by Babylon is littered with hopeful words like "hibernation", it's likely we won't be seeing any more updates to the book for a long, long time, if ever.

To be more specific, there's a chance of a ground-up book converted from Gamma World 2e in the future. However, the current incarnation based on 1.1E isn't going to be getting any more love. So I have some proposals:

We sit around and hope other people will continue it

There's been a little progress (especially at Obsidian Portal), but it's slow. I wouldn't recommend this.

We wait for the 2E conversion

Also possible. The current version of the ruleset is "stable", but it's missing some late-game components. For example: the highest tier Agent is still below Level 10.

We continue it ourselves

It probably sounds crazy, but I'm more and more familiar with building and balancing 4E powers, creatures and items every day. I have the 4E DMG, so I could easily build whatever materials (God Tier, more alchemy components, denizens, etc) are necessary. Since Blade is also an experienced 4E DM, we could go back and forth on this.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 11:25:09 am by freeformschooler »

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2012, 03:48:30 pm »

Freeform, I'm pretty much fine with whichever option keeps the game going :P

That said, if we pick the third one I'll try to help out as much as I can, but not being a GM, all I can do is come up with zany ideas for what things could do.

Oh, and this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2012, 07:09:02 pm »

We continue it ourselves

It probably sounds crazy, but I'm more and more familiar with building and balancing 4E powers, creatures and items every day. I have the 4E DMG, so I could easily build whatever materials (God Tier, more alchemy components, denizens, etc) are necessary. Since Blade is also an experienced 4E DM, we could go back and forth on this.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED. If we're doing this though, we're going full-tilt. All canon class builds, Passive and Active Class Juxtaposition, associated aspect powers, more options for alchemy building, and anything else we can think of. We might also address certain aspects of the base equipment (as it currently stands, light ranged is worthless in comparison to heavy ranged). Oh dear god, this has suddenly become an enormous project, what have we done?

Unfortunately, freeform overestimates my power. I'm like the complete opposite of Anakin Skywalker in Episode III.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2012, 07:12:01 pm »

That's alright, I'm always here to procrastinate real work so that I can waste an hour of my life designing a new D&D 4E power.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2012, 07:19:56 pm »

Yes, I am totally down for this. Even though I have more experience with 3.5. Whatever we can all do this together.

Should we start another thread someday (when it comes up) for the mechanics in Creative Projects or something? Yes this could be a whole new thing oh man I am way too excited

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2012, 07:34:59 pm »

I have time this summer, so I can test out balance to see if I can break the game horribly. I'm good at that normally.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2012, 07:38:59 pm »

That would probably be for the best, but we should hold off on that until we have some actual things we're ready to put up, up to and including a '1.2'

I think the first thing we should do is define class pairings, and work from there.

+ -
Thief - Rogue
Heir - ?Mage?
Prince - ?Knight?
Witch - ?Seer?
?Page - Bard?

I might be forgetting some. Probably am.

Edit: Sylph. Sorry Kanaya, no idea where that goes.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2012, 07:42:40 pm »

You're missing Sylph and Maid. Also remember that - is the active one and + is passive, though it's really weird to remember. Here's what I think:
Active - Passive
Seer - Sylph (It was said that Aranea helped other people see stuff, and Seers use their powers to see for themselves)

That's all I really have right now. We sure don't have much to work with.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2012, 07:48:37 pm »

I personally think that designating active and passive classes for the purposes of the ruleset MIGHT be a waste of time. Aside from the chance that Hussie pops in and shatters all of our dreams, there's nothing intrinsically wrong with the classes as they are - unless, of course, we're willing to rework them to fit the active/passive system.

I'm more interested in making aspects play a more pivotal role. In the comic proper, aspects modified what exactly the class could do beyond its general purpose. If we were going to fulfill that definition, I don't think we would have to add more combat powers or anything.

Here's my idea for aspects, and by extension, titles in general: each character gets a unique skill based on their class/aspect combo, used the same way they use any other skill in situations where it would be deemed appropriate. By extension, Mikhael could roll his skill to harm people mentally, Mimi could roll to see things in space and Danielle could... actually, I have no idea what she would do.

Of course, this skill would go up as the character gained levels, representing their steady awakening to their powers. An item like Rose's crystal ball could be alchemized to boost her title skill.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 07:57:27 pm by freeformschooler »

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2012, 08:06:35 pm »

I think the first thing we should do is define class pairings, and work from there.
These are the Active/Passive pairings I'm absolutely sure are Canon.
Active - Passive

Thief - Rogue
Prince - Bard

When it comes to (Somewhat) educated guessing:

Heir - Knight (Almost Definate)
Mage - Seer (Not sure, but Likely)
Maid - Sylph (Purely Guessing)

I don't know about the others. Keep in mind I was using the wiki for these pairings.

Edit: Wiki says that Seer was said in Canon to be a class made for helping her/his Teammates, and the same with Knight. Then again, wiki, so take some caution.

Edit2: @FFS: We could use the Homestuck Wiki very Liberally. :P
If we go by my route, then we would be able to see what power we would have in the form of a flowery Riddle:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sure, it'll be a bit hard to figure out, but these powers actually kinda sound badass if you get by that fact.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 08:23:34 pm by Johnfalcon99977 »
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 45