Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 44

Author Topic: Rolling through space: A way to complicated RTD (6/10)(OOC/Discussion)  (Read 63370 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Rolling through space: A way to complicated RTD (6/10)(OOC/Discussion)
« Reply #165 on: April 20, 2012, 10:45:29 am »

So we're ready for liftoff?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 20, 2012, 10:50:04 am »

So we're ready for liftoff?
Um no. I still have to get the finan ship designs from the captains. Then divide the players between the captains and then I can start the game. Working on the sheet at the moment.

Edit: Lowered conventional generator prices.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 10:57:56 am by 10ebbor10 »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 20, 2012, 11:08:44 am »

I..think you need a Google account to fix the google spreadsheet for only you to use.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 20, 2012, 11:10:36 am »

My ship is too freaking big. I'll need to turn it into a frigate or something, because the armoring costs for one of the decks with naught but light armor consume around one third to half of my budget.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 20, 2012, 11:14:22 am »

My ship is too freaking big. I'll need to turn it into a frigate or something, because the armoring costs for one of the decks with naught but light armor consume around one third to half of my budget.
Try using the sheet calculator. I'm updating it at the moment.

Energy and heat are already done.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 20, 2012, 02:14:52 pm »

Mine is in far too half-finished a state to be useful right this moment. Made worse by the fact that I'm considering re-rigging my spreadsheet to add the cost of armoring, shielding, powering, and de-heating the sections right in there, as opposed to just noting the size, power, and heat requirements.

On the bright side, when it is done it shouldn't require any more than a cursory GM examination, since apart from errors it'll have everything calced out.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 20, 2012, 02:16:44 pm »

Mine is in far too half-finished a state to be useful right this moment. Made worse by the fact that I'm considering re-rigging my spreadsheet to add the cost of armoring, shielding, powering, and de-heating the sections right in there, as opposed to just noting the size, power, and heat requirements.

On the bright side, when it is done it shouldn't require any more than a cursory GM examination, since apart from errors it'll have everything calced out.

Feel free to look at the halffinished GM one too. Also I change some things sometimes, but I often note that in my posts.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 20, 2012, 03:25:02 pm »

May I assume my external missile launchers are already pre-loaded for my first engagement?
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 20, 2012, 03:26:18 pm »

Wow, okay. I'm not absolutely positive I calculated this right, but assuming what I consider a fairly standard loadout, each point of size costs around 3.74 credits before armor or heat.

Essentially, I assumed conventional engines constantly powered by fusion reactors and regular jumpdrives powered by batteries, then calced out how many engines, jumpdrives, reactors, and batteries you'd need to haul each extra point around. Then I added the size of all those components multiplied by the cost to just the cost, for the net cost of a single extra point of size. Result: 3.7416 etc etc.

The long and short of this is that while power and heat are still major, major concerns as far as efficiency goes, you also have to beware large but apparently cheap things. Size 100 Cannons, for instance, cost 200 credits in actual credits and then 370 credits in engine/jumpdrive costs.

Numbers may change depending on exact reactors/engines/methods of operation, of course, but it should still be pretty in line with that.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 20, 2012, 03:29:56 pm »

May I assume my external missile launchers are already pre-loaded for my first engagement?
Leaving this here so it won't be left behind.

What size/length is your ship, Irony? I would also like to know the amount of decks.
>Yes?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 20, 2012, 03:30:18 pm »

Yes. You also get ammo, fuel and some other stuff fro me for free.
ABout external missile launchers: the missiles will explode when hit . (Also note that I buffed warheads.)

Wow, okay. I'm not absolutely positive I calculated this right, but assuming what I consider a fairly standard loadout, each point of size costs around 3.74 credits before armor or heat.

Essentially, I assumed conventional engines constantly powered by fusion reactors and regular jumpdrives powered by batteries, then calced out how many engines, jumpdrives, reactors, and batteries you'd need to haul each extra point around. Then I added the size of all those components multiplied by the cost to just the cost, for the net cost of a single extra point of size. Result: 3.7416 etc etc.

The long and short of this is that while power and heat are still major, major concerns as far as efficiency goes, you also have to beware large but apparently cheap things. Size 100 Cannons, for instance, cost 200 credits in actual credits and then 370 credits in engine/jumpdrive costs.

Numbers may change depending on exact reactors/engines/methods of operation, of course, but it should still be pretty in line with that.
Interesting.
Note that your engines do not need to have the capacity to carry your entire ship. Overloaded engines will react slower, but that's not much of a problem if you have long range weapons.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 20, 2012, 03:44:03 pm »

ABout external missile launchers: the missiles will explode when hit . (Also note that I buffed warheads.)
No problem. As soon as they are ready to shoot, I'll shoot. Internal missiles bays only allow small ones.
>Yes?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 20, 2012, 03:52:04 pm »

Note that your engines do not need to have the capacity to carry your entire ship. Overloaded engines will react slower, but that's not much of a problem if you have long range weapons.
Hm, this gives me an idea. Would, for instance, a single VASIMIR be enough to carry the entire ship quickly over long but not jumpworthy/capable distances?

I am rather concerned about maneuvering capability, though, hence why I didn't just go with the VASIMIRS in the first place. Normally I'd be more than happy to go with the more expensive, efficient, slower to get started or slow down option, but my intended backstory will hopefully have us exploring a lot of places where we might need to cruise around with a bit of finesse.

Also, I'm pretty sure getting this thing within 10,000 credits would be painful but physically possible. It can definitely come in under 25,000. What's a good number to aim for?

EDIT: Also, what's the difference between passive and active radar? Would there be any point to having both, other than a lower-energy-cost option when you don't feel active radar is called for?

What size/length is your ship, Irony? I would also like to know the amount of decks.
At this very moment, still in a very unfinished, in need of adjustment state, 1709 size (and ~15,000 credits). I assume it will have two decks, but I'm not positive, since I've done away with weapon batteries and exhaust ports.

Also, now I remember that it has no docking ability whatsoever. Yet another thing I'm going to have to mess with.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 03:55:39 pm by IronyOwl »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 20, 2012, 03:57:55 pm »

Hm, this gives me an idea. Would, for instance, a single VASIMIR be enough to carry the entire ship quickly over long but not jumpworthy/capable distances?

I am rather concerned about maneuvering capability, though, hence why I didn't just go with the VASIMIRS in the first place. Normally I'd be more than happy to go with the more expensive, efficient, slower to get started or slow down option, but my intended backstory will hopefully have us exploring a lot of places where we might need to cruise around with a bit of finesse.

Also, I'm pretty sure getting this thing within 10,000 credits would be painful but physically possible. It can definitely come in under 25,000. What's a good number to aim for?

At this very moment, still in a very unfinished, in need of adjustment state, 1709 size (and ~15,000 credits). I assume it will have two decks, but I'm not positive, since I've done away with weapon batteries and exhaust ports.

Also, now I remember that it has no docking ability whatsoever. Yet another thing I'm going to have to mess with.
The speed change is multiplied by capacity/ship weight. That should answer the question. The Vasimir would allow you to eventually go quite fast in areas without jumpbeacon, but getting speed will be hard. (slowing down not, since you can use your normal engines for that.)

Try to keep it under 25.000, that's all. Of course I will give you your supplies and others, and they might be influenced by your spendings.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 20, 2012, 04:00:35 pm »

I think I'll wait for that spreadsheet. <_< Math isn't my forte, and I deal with enough of it at work.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 44