Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 44

Author Topic: Rolling through space: A way to complicated RTD (6/10)(OOC/Discussion)  (Read 63262 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rolling through space: A way to complicated RTD (0/6)
« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2012, 03:13:31 pm »

GM, I think you should make it two ships. Both of us have already spent hours delving into this system to create nice ships, with at least a minor degree of success. So the crewmen should be able to pick the captain instead.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 18, 2012, 03:19:08 pm »

Double the ships means at least double the complexity, though. Having the potential crew vote on the ship/captain would be a good idea, but then you might have issues with those captains then turning around and having to pick the crew.

Add to that the fact that they have to pierce 2 decks, not one. ( Even an unarmored deck has a piercing resistance)
Wait. Can weapons and engines be on different decks than their exhaust/weapon batteries, but have to be in the same section? Do they have to be on different decks? I assumed being in the same section meant the same deck as well.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2012, 03:24:26 pm »

GM, I think you should make it two ships. Both of us have already spent hours delving into this system to create nice ships, with at least a minor degree of success. So the crewmen should be able to pick the captain instead.
Problem is that then the average player density may be rather low.  Ie only 3-4 players on a single ship. I'm willing to increase the ship count to two, but I'm afraid it might result in a boring game.

Double the ships means at least double the complexity, though. Having the potential crew vote on the ship/captain would be a good idea, but then you might have issues with those captains then turning around and having to pick the crew.

Add to that the fact that they have to pierce 2 decks, not one. ( Even an unarmored deck has a piercing resistance)
Wait. Can weapons and engines be on different decks than their exhaust/weapon batteries, but have to be in the same section? Do they have to be on different decks? I assumed being in the same section meant the same deck as well.

Not nessesarily. It depends on your ability to stay together and stuff. Besides ship creation is the most difficult part in the game.  But yeah it might reult in turns taking longer to update.( Or maybe me doing asynchronous turns. ( The original drafts for the system required a six person game with synchronous turns)

That was in fact the point of the thing Yes. The exhaust tunnels/ batteries are just a small hole in the ships hull leading to the engine/dock/weapon on the deck below.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2012, 03:28:52 pm »

Can weapons (not PD) mounted in any section (front, middle, aft) shoot freely? I assumed they are mounted either at the top or bottom of the section, allowing them to rotate, like battleships' turrets.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2012, 03:30:15 pm »

Can weapons (not PD) mounted in any section (front, middle, aft) shoot freely? I assumed they are mounted either at the top or bottom of the section, allowing them to rotate, like battleships' turrets.
Yeah they can. Besides, your ship slowly revolves around it's own axis, so they have a 360° degree firing range.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2012, 03:33:50 pm »

So far my ship is looking like a behemoth with an enormous ass due to me trying to hide the engines.
>Yes?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 18, 2012, 03:43:01 pm »

So far my ship's looking like a trio of 0-40 damage, 120% accuracy guns that's running massively over budget. The heat and energy costs on those things adds up!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 18, 2012, 03:53:10 pm »

So far my ship's looking like a trio of 0-40 damage, 120% accuracy guns that's running massively over budget. The heat and energy costs on those things adds up!
Please note that I put a hard cap on the budget at 25.000
Besides a 0-40 gun seems like something that has a good chance of tearing a ship apart in 2-3 turns.

Also note that if a weapon fails to make it through the shield, it does no hull damage.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 18, 2012, 04:07:57 pm »

I am trying a very big battery of nose-mounted missile launchers. The main problem is about where to keep the damn missiles, they take up too much space. So far I'm soundly inside the budget.
>Yes?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 18, 2012, 04:12:56 pm »

I am trying a very big battery of nose-mounted missile launchers. The main problem is about where to keep the damn missiles, they take up too much space. So far I'm soundly inside the budget.
In the missile launchers. Every launcher has 4 capacity.( Don't ask me how it works)

Maybe missiles should come in stack of five, neatly bound together.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 18, 2012, 04:16:56 pm »

I'm using external ones. The problem is stocking missiles inside the ship >.>

Let's say I got size 45 missiles and my largest section is 440 size. Well, you got the point. Keeping stocks of them is a pain in the ass.
>Yes?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 18, 2012, 04:20:10 pm »

I'm using external ones. The problem is stocking missiles inside the ship >.>

Let's say I got size 45 missiles and my largest section is 440 size. Well, you got the point. Keeping stocks of them is a pain in the ass.
How strong are your missiles? Or are those just the example misseles. I think I 'll go for having missiles be stacked by 5. ( ie one 5 missile= 45 storage, as are 4,3 ,2, and one stacks)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 18, 2012, 04:23:08 pm »

I'm modifying the example missiles just slightly, but yes, size 45.

Edit: It is awfully complicated to set up an hangar and fill it with fighters. I would have to be a dedicated carrier, and a huge ship to boot.
Edit2: Hey, GM. Wanna see how it is going and give me some tips? I made quite a lot of progress since last time.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 04:38:33 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 18, 2012, 04:57:49 pm »

Spoiler: Ship; Godsplitter (click to show/hide)

Way better than last time! But I still need help.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 08:26:28 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 18, 2012, 05:56:20 pm »

Name: Jack Dendy
Race: Human
Role: Engineer
Inventory:
EVA Suit
Advanced tool kit
Simple Ranged weapon
Bio: Coming soon.
Spoiler: Skillz (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 06:37:26 pm by Scelly9 »
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.