Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 44

Author Topic: Rolling through space: A way to complicated RTD (6/10)(OOC/Discussion)  (Read 63267 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Rolling through space: A way to complicated RTD (0/6)
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2012, 12:51:15 pm »

Can I get some insights on my design? I wanted a ship capable of quickly closing in distance with superior front armor and retractable weapons near the needle-thing: create wound, shoot at wound.
I am also trying to put point defense at the aft and fighter bays at the middle.
Tell me if it sounds too insane.
Retractable weapons would probably be internal weaponry batteries.. The ramming and needle would probably quickly damage and destroy a ship. (It would do severe damage to armor and structural and then close range weapon fire) If you want to do closerange fire, accuracy is probably not important

Only problem that might occur is taking heavy fire before you reach your target and the needle getting repeatedly damaged. Another problem might be that you damage the enemies magazines/jump drive, at which point you would find yourself way to close for comfort.
Point defenses in the back of the ship can't reach the front.( A point defense only defends the section it's placed on.)

Can't say more whitout seeing the actual design.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2012, 12:57:13 pm »

PD at the back is exactly to protect only the Aft. Fighters protect the flanks and I got guns blazing with heavy armor at the front. Hm...May I also put weaker engines at the front so I can actually use a reverse impulsion to quickly retreat while shooting at the damaged section of the enemy ship? My intention will usually be destroying either their midsection (severing the ship in half) or obliterating their command bridge.

If I stick to this design and turn out to be captain, prepare for much Fun, my dear crewmembers.  ;D
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2012, 01:04:23 pm »

PD at the back is exactly to protect only the Aft. Fighters protect the flanks and I got guns blazing with heavy armor at the front. Hm...May I also put weaker engines at the front so I can actually use a reverse impulsion to quickly retreat while shooting at the damaged section of the enemy ship? My intention will usually be destroying either their midsection (severing the ship in half) or obliterating their command bridge.

If I stick to this design and turn out to be captain, prepare for much Fun, my dear crewmembers.  ;D
Aft engine can reverse as quickly as forward mounted ones can.  Also note, Ramming will happen in 3 fases(not nesseceraly turns):
1. Shield vs shield
2. PD vs PD
3.Crash

The worst thing that can happen( aside from the enemy having stronger armor then you) is hitting their charging jumpdrives or their ammostocks. One could result in the partial teleportation of your ship, the other in a rather nasty chain reaction.

Edit: I can't do more whitout a more detailed plan of your ship.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 01:25:04 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2012, 01:24:51 pm »

Uh...What if I make the front basically devoid of any people? Dang, I wanted a sealing system. Can't I also analyze the enemy and discover where those points are so I can avoid them?
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2012, 01:28:13 pm »

Uh...What if I make the front basically devoid of any people? Dang, I wanted a sealing system. Can't I also analyze the enemy and discover where those points are so I can avoid them?
Airlock and other things are standard included. Airtight doors in all rooms, and huge blastdoors between sections.

You can try, however their shield scrambles this information. It would require a good radar/ good radar operators to get something. Or you could always try to hack their ship to get info. ( Or if you're lucky you 've met the type before and can use the blueprints)

Edit: added an example antifighter missile.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2012, 03:53:41 pm »

No, a section can be at most 150 and 250 in size. This is mesured at deck 1.(which is free btw). Deck 2 needs to be at least 120% bigger then deck 1, but it can be more.  Exhaust ports need to be in the same section as the engines they allow acces to though.  The engines don't need to be at the end of the ship though. (But they do need to be on the outside). Also your first deck is free, next one 1000, third 1500...
Are you saying the size modifiers apply to specific sections, not decks? As in, which of the following is true?

120% Deck Length
Deck 1 has two sections, each 250 long. Thus, Deck 1 is 500 long, and Deck 2 must total (500*1.2=600) 600 units long, even though each individual section is still between 150 and 250 units.

120% Section Length
Deck 1, Section 1 is 250 long. Therefore Deck 2, Section 1 must be (250*1.2=300) 300 units long, but can be larger.

120% Deck Length + Arbitrary Larger Section Length
Deck 1 has two sections, each 250 long. thus Deck 1 is 500 long, and Deck 2 must total (500*1.2=600) 600 units long, but each section may be but isn't required to be larger than 250.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2012, 03:57:01 pm »

120% Section Length
Deck 1, Section 1 is 250 long. Therefore Deck 2, Section 1 must be (250*1.2=300) 300 units long, but can be larger.

This one is correct. Sections get larger the farther you go.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2012, 04:01:09 pm »

@IronyOwl

So you are going with captain instead of mad scientist?

Oh, great, competition :P
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 04:02:57 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2012, 04:08:02 pm »

Oh, I'm still going mad scientist. I just might also be gunning for captain. :P

On the bright side, this means I've studied the ship system enough to provide advice if you'd like it but 10ebbor10 isn't available.

And thanks for the clarification, 10ebbor10. My sinister plans are feasible once again!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2012, 04:10:52 pm »

What are you planning? A Wave Motion Gun?
Edit: GM, could you post the cred costs for the example ship?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 04:23:49 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2012, 04:54:23 pm »

Spoiler: Ship; Godsplitter (click to show/hide)

I know many values on the ship are wrong, I am still working on it.
>Yes?

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2012, 05:17:17 pm »

This is in response to my request for Chief Tactical officer.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 06:41:20 pm by Spinal_Taper »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2012, 05:34:40 pm »

You should check and read the skill section once more.
>Yes?

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2012, 05:40:09 pm »

You should check and read the skill section once more.
Thanks. I kinda messed up there a spot. However, I fixed it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 06:41:36 pm by Spinal_Taper »

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2012, 09:13:36 pm »

So, when a part says price = 1*size does it mean ship size or part size?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 44