Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Suddenly after 10.5 years massive kobold ambushes  (Read 2039 times)

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suddenly after 10.5 years massive kobold ambushes
« on: April 16, 2012, 12:37:52 pm »

So the last time I can remember the kobolds successfully stealing anything was 8 years ago (a sock) , in the last 10 years they've sent thieves that have all been getting killed so the only ambushed ive seen were goblins. Then suddenly kobolds start ambushing caravans in the dozens. What gives? My fortress wealth just went over 11 mil, might that be it?

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
Re: Suddenly after 10.5 years massive kobold ambushes
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 12:40:51 pm »

They managed to steal enough of your stuff and got cocky. Kill their thieves more often to prevent kobold ambush.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 12:47:31 pm »

As he sais, only one low value item stolen 8 years ago, all others killed.  Are you sure you killed them all?  Go back through your announcements, maybe they got a masterwork steel disk you left in the depot, or a masterwork bolt, and you just didn't notice.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 12:54:56 pm »

8 years ago is around when I finished walling the fortress off and made it only accessible by a well guarded 4 wide hall. I can't recall any announcements of kobold thieves stealing anything since then however I have a lot of dead stuff outside the walls just not a lot of valuable stuff.

Anywyas the only threat are the ones with bows, melee kobolds are a joke - even unarmed human merchants manage to beat them down.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 12:56:42 pm by psychologicalshock »

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 01:01:34 pm »

If you use marksdwarves, there may well be high value bolts strewn across your landscape.  Also, wreckage of dead caravans.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 01:04:28 pm »

It's possible ; however I heard that they try to go for the most valuable stuff in a fortress - I  have hundreds of golden crafts that they seem to target, ive only seen them pick up something of lesser value once - a masterwork silk sock.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 01:18:07 pm »

a masterwork silk sock.
Everything in the DF world seems to have a fetish for socks.
Masterwork = insane values.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 01:56:12 pm »

a masterwork silk sock.
Everything in the DF world seems to have a fetish for socks.
Masterwork = insane values.

Yup it was valuable fortunately he didn't make it out of the gates with it.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 01:58:16 pm »

I've had kobolds settle for cheap crafts before. You know, the crap hunters and such dropped when imigrating, so they definately don't always go for highest value.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 02:01:08 pm »

Well its a shame they don't take crap when they're ambushing it would certainly help in cleaning the map up

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 02:07:52 pm »

Well its a shame they don't take crap when they're ambushing it would certainly help in cleaning the map up

You want to clean the map ? Flood it with magma, or set fire to it in some way.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 02:18:21 pm »

You want to clean the map ? Flood it with magma, or set fire to it in some way.
Yeah that's happened before when a dragon wandered in, the mountain biome part of the map is still nothing but ash. I had 2 of the giant lizards come back in 254 and none since.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 02:38:18 pm »

Have you caught them and use them as portable flamethrowers and siege cleaners ?

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 02:48:06 pm »

Do thefts bring up announcements about stuff being stolen anymore? I've noticed that I get kobold thieves for a while, then out of nowhere an ambush squad rushes the entrance. If I had to guess they were stealing stuff left out by goblins or dead merchant guards and so on, but I never received a message about stuff being stolen.

Unless those only appear on higher cancel/task messages, I have 'em on the second lowest setting most of the time to keep me from being spammed about how Urist cancels everything because they're too thirsty.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 03:33:10 pm »

only the short anouncement which can easily be drowned out by masterwork creations or job cancelation spams
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: [1] 2