Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarves putting discarded items in their tombs ?  (Read 4030 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Dwarves putting discarded items in their tombs ?
« on: April 16, 2012, 08:26:41 am »

I've just seen some interesting behavior from my militia commander and champion.

She is still alive and kicking, and my best soldier. She has a grand bedroom (which is just & 3x3 bedroom with a bed, well-engraved and a burial chamber (3x3 tomb, iron sarcophagus, smoothed and engraved).

She has just put a x(pig tail fiber dress)x, which is owned by her, in her tomb. I trust she is discarding it because it is damaged.

She is the only one to have done so, despite other people having tombs. And not only the baron.

Maybe it is because she has no more place in her room, so she is storing items in her tomb ? It is not, she has no items in her room.

So did she put that old cloth as baggage for the afterlife, just like some ancient people added items to their noble's tombs ?

I am impressed.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves putting discarded items in their tombs ?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 08:29:59 am »

It's known Dorf Behavior. They'll put stuff they like in their tomb. Sorta creepy, but cool.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 08:37:49 am »

Any room, designated from an object that can be assigned to a dwarf, will be used for storing owned stuff, once it has been assigned. When there's no cabinet (for clothes) or coffer (for thingies) available, they will dump their belongings on the floor.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 06:45:42 pm »

My bookkeepers, who get an office before anyone gets a room, always clutter the floor with their clothing.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 06:51:32 pm »

Any room, designated from an object that can be assigned to a dwarf, will be used for storing owned stuff, once it has been assigned. When there's no cabinet (for clothes) or coffer (for thingies) available, they will dump their belongings on the floor.

And once its on the floor it will remain there forever, meaning the amount of clothing in your fortress will grow indefinitely over time.

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 08:42:37 pm »

And once its on the floor it will remain there forever, meaning the amount of clothing in your fortress will grow indefinitely over time.

lies i set up a magma purger to clean all this just after it builds up

NemoVonFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Can ya dig it?
    • View Profile
    • Wayfar 1444 Wiki
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 08:53:19 pm »

Maybe she figured it's her Tomb, and the dress is dead, so it needs an eternal resting place?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 08:54:38 pm »

Nope, if you build cabinets / coffers in said room (or any other room owned by the same dwarf, the dwarf will move the items into an appropriate container, if he has free time (low-priority job)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 10:40:08 pm »

Nope, if you build cabinets / coffers in said room (or any other room owned by the same dwarf, the dwarf will move the items into an appropriate container, if he has free time (low-priority job)

"Free time" is an elvish concept.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 01:52:06 am »

"Free time" is an elvish concept.

Urist stops idling, on break
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 11:03:05 am »

Cabinets will fill up, then stuff will get left on the floor.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 11:08:31 am »

Cabinets will fill up, then stuff will get left on the floor.

Then build more coffers

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 12:18:29 pm »

Wasn't Toady putting in a patched that made Dwarves throw away clothes when they got to be XX or such?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 12:21:37 pm »

Wasn't Toady putting in a patched that made Dwarves throw away clothes when they got to be XX or such?

Sadly, they don't seem to do that. Unsure if its a bug or an oversight.

If new clothes are on hand they will hoard the tattered clothing in their rooms, and keep accumulating and hoarding tattered clothing forever. If no new clothes are available, they will just let the clothes they are wearing rot away completely and then go berserk from nakedness.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 02:45:40 pm »

you can designate owned items for dump now and they will get ownership removed and be thrown away.
Pages: [1] 2