Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Human population out of nowhere  (Read 3840 times)

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Human population out of nowhere
« on: April 16, 2012, 06:31:48 am »

Okay, so here's the deal.
1. No human traders something like 4 or more years into the game
2. Civilisation menu does not list them
3. Never had any depictions of humans, engravings, etc

All of a sudden I get a message that a human caravan was unable to access my trade depot. I just begin work on one and then suddenly realised just what race it was trying to trade with me.
I'm not completely familiar with how world gen and such works, but I was under the assumption that either humans didn't survive world gen somehow, or none were close enough to be able to trade with me. Why have they suddenly appeared on the civ menu willing to trade about 5 years into my forts life?

EDIT: Oh god, an invasion occured the second I unpaused, and 4 FULL pages of goblin/troll invaders suddenly appeared on screen. Not sure how 8 armed dwarves are going to fair >_>
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 06:37:08 am by Morpha »
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Re: Human population out of nowhere
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 06:36:10 am »

maybe they were on really low numbers and dispersed around (like, maybe, one per hamlet of other civ or so on) after five years, their numbers increased and they formed a hamlet? maybe? and that hamlet became the human civ which is trading with you? it's all an hypothesis.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 06:37:34 am »

they traveled halfway around the world to trade with you (that's why it took so long) and then you don't have a depot accessible to wagons...
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 06:41:09 am »

Yeah, interesting idea. I thought at first it was one of those "X race becomes ruler of Y race"  or vice versa things, but they all seem legitimately human.
Also, please tell me the ones riding Giant Olms can't swim through my water way into the centre of my fortress anymore, that was really !!FUN!! several patches ago (last time I played) when water mounts could be ridden through water ways by goblins...
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 06:56:53 am »

Well, I actually managed to take on all 78 invaders using my army of 8 with only the loss of a speardwarf who was channeling Leeroy Jenkins and broke formation before the others even left the meeting room. Was concerned that at least one goblin or troll was going to kill the merchants but they seemed to spawn far enough apart luckily.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 07:16:34 am »

Swimming mounts can still swim into your fort, but just as before, there is no guarantee that the rider will survive. However, mounted goblins don't seem to drown in murky pools anymore.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 07:25:44 am »

Great, the merchants left before I could get a depot up and stocked in time. Now I'm REALLY curious what was worth trekking half the world after forming a civilisation to attempt to sell to some crazy dwarves.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 08:51:15 am »

they'll be back every year now, no worries. The first one just took some time to get there.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 08:53:30 am »

Great, the merchants left before I could get a depot up and stocked in time. Now I'm REALLY curious what was worth trekking half the world after forming a civilisation to attempt to sell to some crazy dwarves.
Socks. It's always socks. You should know this by now, elf.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 09:19:50 am »

Everyone knows humans don't know the values of socks, which is why I kindly relieve them of their unappreciated treasures on most fortresses.
Morpha cancels browse forums: Retrieving socks
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 09:21:27 am by Morpha »

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 10:05:37 am »

Socks. It's always socks. You should know this by now, elf.

Stocks. It's always in stocks. You should know this by now, elfs.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 02:03:17 pm »

Sounds like what happened is that they were growing for the past couple of years until they had a big enough settlement to send traders. So it's like your sister city, only human (And thus probably smelly)

Nunzillor

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 02:31:24 pm »

Sorry in advance, but I thought world gen didn't continue in dwarf fortress mode yet?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 02:37:00 pm »

Sorry in advance, but I thought world gen didn't continue in dwarf fortress mode yet?

This is what I've heard too.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 03:22:19 pm »

no it doesnt, see my semi serious replies.
summary:
Humans were far away and took many years to reach you but from now on should be there every year