Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Games with "Wizard" mode.  (Read 5150 times)

Kurte

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Games with "Wizard" mode.
« on: April 15, 2012, 09:05:45 pm »

I know, thats a stupid request, but anyone here know games with "Game Master", "Dungeon Master", "Wizard" or whatever mode, where one player can change things or tell stories to other player(s), assuming the role of narrator, author, etc. For example, Neverwinter Nights, where you can join game as DM and make modules for  pseudo-tabletop sessions with players?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Games with "Wizard" mode.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 10:47:39 pm »

It's very different from, say, neverwinter nights, but you might like a service like Infrno or GameTable, which basically acts like a literal tabeltop you can use over the internet. But then, of course, there's no real game structure to that intrinsically.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 11:00:01 pm »

The first Vampire: The Masquerade game let you do this. AFAIK it was the first game with this mode. I think it's called redemption? The one that isn't bloodlines.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 11:03:16 pm »

The first Vampire: The Masquerade game let you do this. AFAIK it was the first game with this mode. I think it's called redemption? The one that isn't bloodlines.

Well the first where the Game master can actually change things on the fly. There were a lot of previous games where you could make your own maps and campaigns before this one (Dark Legions, a very fun game, even had a way to do that).

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 11:16:29 pm »

Space Station 13 in some ways fits the bill, with admins acting as dungeon master to create stories for the players, sometimes.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 11:18:21 pm »

Space Station 13 in some ways fits the bill, with admins acting as dungeon master to create stories for the players, sometimes.
And on top of that it has literal wizards .
Thank you based dwarf.

Kurte

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 02:38:43 am »

Thanks for contributing guys, SS13 is pretty hard one for me to set-up, Im for quick sessions after all, but Im going to look into VTMR today, never knew about DM mode. Thing is, some time ago, maybe a year or two I saw an indie game in development which literally represented a 2d scene with pixel graphics, allowing one player to be "master" of the story, while another could move only things that first player assigned him to.

Sensei, yeah, Im actually using Fantasy Grounds for that, thanks anyway.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 03:20:03 am »

First one that came to mind for me.  It was pretty awesome.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Vainemoinen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 03:56:18 am »

Thing is, some time ago, maybe a year or two I saw an indie game in development which literally represented a 2d scene with pixel graphics, allowing one player to be "master" of the story, while another could move only things that first player assigned him to.

Sounds kinda like Sleep is Death to me.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 03:58:08 am by Vainemoinen »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 04:55:59 am »

Thing is, some time ago, maybe a year or two I saw an indie game in development which literally represented a 2d scene with pixel graphics, allowing one player to be "master" of the story, while another could move only things that first player assigned him to.

Sounds kinda like Sleep is Death to me.

Sort of in a way... but Sleep is Death isn't actually a game.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 06:13:34 am »

Just keep in mind that you can not actually kill anyone, until you roleplay it for 5 hours.  ::)
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 06:15:16 am »

Just keep in mind that you can not actually kill anyone, until you roleplay it for 5 hours.  ::)

Spacestation 13 sort of breaks one of the cardinal rules of games especially ones based around roleplaying: You are the main character of your own story.

Mind you it isn't the game's fault. It is more the sliding scales of strictness.

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 04:00:40 pm »

Spacestation 13 sort of breaks one of the cardinal rules of games especially ones based around roleplaying: You are the main character of your own story.

Mind you it isn't the game's fault. It is more the sliding scales of strictness.

That is why real life would fail as a game.  :P
Anyways I know elona, nethack, catyclysm (press z), and dungeon crawl all have wizardy debug console type things.  I'm not sure if this is what you want per se, but I hope they help.  There are a couple other rogue likes that have a "wizard mode" type thing too, but I forget which ones. 

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 10:47:08 pm »

[/quote

I don't know. I regularly get people to go off on pointless side quests with somewhat random rewards. I also choose what strange adventure they go on. "Hey mate, can you nip off down the road in your "Vehicle-of-death" and pick me up some grog? I'll chuck you a couple. I'm starving too, so could you pick me up a bite to eat? I'll give you some petrol money."

So am I the wizard here? Am I the main player? Hell, I go on these sorts of quests myself. Sometimes the rewards can be pretty random. Sometimes they really are that well-stacked princess. Like rocks as a game. I'm an f'ing wizard for crying out loud :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 10:55:51 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 03:37:49 am »

I was going to point out that life doesn't work that way, but then I noticed that you said "stacked princess" and got horribly distracted.

[/quote

I don't know. I regularly get people to go off on pointless side quests with somewhat random rewards. I also choose what strange adventure they go on. "Hey mate, can you nip off down the road in your "Vehicle-of-death" and pick me up some grog? I'll chuck you a couple. I'm starving too, so could you pick me up a bite to eat? I'll give you some petrol money."

So am I the wizard here? Am I the main player? Hell, I go on these sorts of quests myself. Sometimes the rewards can be pretty random. Sometimes they really are that well-stacked princess. Like rocks as a game. I'm an f'ing wizard for crying out loud :)
Pages: [1] 2