Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: Wasteland 2!  (Read 34404 times)

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wasteland 2!
« Reply #150 on: September 25, 2014, 12:44:38 pm »

Doesn't work with notepad+, but I reckon I probably need an excel program.  Seems simple enough in my opinion, well, using the program for example...
It does it's just not formatted (no whitespaces / end of line characters). There is simple "XML Tools" plugin for n++ that formats it nicely.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 25, 2014, 01:58:23 pm »

Editor? I thought the saves were in plain text. The hard part is remembering how many points you should have if you «take back» some spent ones.
Doesn't work with notepad+, but I reckon I probably need an excel program.  Seems simple enough in my opinion, well, using the program for example...

If you got 3 points in hard-ass, the raw numbers in the file will show 6 skill points.  (it is how many points it costs to get 3 in hard ass.)
4 in hardass would be 10 points total.
Just put the returned points the the unallocated pile.

Well, it used to be in XML and honestly it was kinda hard finding the skill and the pile for each PC, so an editor is certainly welcome. (I know that you just add to the pile what you substract from the skill thankyouverymuch 8))

Maybe they moved to a binary/compressed format on release, I don't know because I haven't installed since beta.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 26, 2014, 12:39:44 am »

Friend gave me a copy from his Kickstarter bundle, and I spent the last 7 or so hours enjoying this.

Character customization is a bit weak, but I don't get most of the other gripes.

The game runs pretty decent on my i5, 8 gigs of ram and 550ti. Slightly sluggish on loading an area, otherwise it runs smooth.

Ran with a Leader, a Speedy Assault Rifle Type guy, a full blown medic, and essentially my techie, who does everything else. Playing on 2nd from easiest, the game isn't super challenging, although the Ag Farm has definitely started showing how mean the can be if we wants.

I feel like I'm missing something re: perception and conversations? I seem to recall there being some novel things going on there, but conversations so far have been blunt and all through the dialog options, no real chances to use SM/KS/HA. I guess I've barely scratched the surface but I sorta thought there was more to it than just asking questions in a certain order so you don't piss someone off, and making sure your person with perception walks past stuff before you fuck with it.

Having never really played the original Wasteland, I'm still enjoying it a bit, although the 80s style adventure descriptions and humor kinda clash with how grim the rest of the game is. Voice acting isn't great but it's tolerable. All in all, I think it'd felt I'd got my money's worth had I paid full price for it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 26, 2014, 04:07:17 am »

I've been playing this a bit - got inside the Citadel and stopped there last - and I guess the game is... good. But it is not an instant classic that sucks you in. I'm actually most disappointed with dialogues. They seem just shallow without the kind of deep content Fallout 2 or Planescape:Torment had. My main guy has high charisma and I keep updating talky skills, but they don't seem that useful, really. There has been too much combat about random mooks and too little other content. Perhaps the game will improve from this, though - I sure hope so!

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 26, 2014, 06:06:20 am »

I've been playing this a bit - got inside the Citadel and stopped there last - and I guess the game is... good. But it is not an instant classic that sucks you in. I'm actually most disappointed with dialogues. They seem just shallow without the kind of deep content Fallout 2 or Planescape:Torment had. My main guy has high charisma and I keep updating talky skills, but they don't seem that useful, really. There has been too much combat about random mooks and too little other content. Perhaps the game will improve from this, though - I sure hope so!

It's a different type of game. It's a tactical RPG and the focus isn't so much on character interaction and "deep" dialogue as it is on mission and goal accomplishment. Dialogues are vehicles that will get you towards the goals you have as a tactical unit, a Desert Ranger squad. Also, the game attempts to invoke the same type of character interaction as the original, just with a bit more choice for the player. That being said, I have one of each talky skill in my team and I feel I've had plenty of option to use them all.
The game may change after the Arizona area, I'm only just preparing to leave for the next area.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 26, 2014, 07:43:16 am »

My experience so far post-Arizona is that there's not really any 'big' areas after that - nothing like the Rail Nomad Camp or Titan Valley - instead lots of smaller maps and encounters (quite a few that are only marginally more in-depth than the random battles).  The largest I've found so far are Rodia and Angel Oracle, but even they're probably smaller than e.g. Ag Centre.  Though I've maybe just not got to the larger stuff yet, I'm not sure how near the end I am.

The talky skills mostly let you bypass steps in a quest, get some extra detail or backstory, gives you an extra reward, or lets you avoid a fight.  I'm not sure there's (m?)any scenarios where they drastically change the outcome though.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 26, 2014, 12:28:25 pm »

Yeah, I actually wrote a very long post about how the game kinda gets lazier as it goes on but deleted it because it seems all I did was talk shit about the game. Probably wouldn't have gone over well.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 26, 2014, 12:32:25 pm »

Well, I'd appreciate hearing about it. I'm still feeling somewhat like I'm in the tutorial, so I've been waiting for the game to "hit its stride." Creative projects are often front-loaded on quality: all the effort goes into the beginning and then midway everyone's enthusiasm died and it becomes a repetitive grind to the end. I've worried about this in particular with Kickstarter projects. So you're saying all the details and depth actually bottoms out the longer the game goes on?
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 26, 2014, 12:44:00 pm »

Well... I'm about 4/5ths into the game. As of right now yeah.

Will the ending be epic? I dunno.

Is the game right now a bit of a slog? Without a doubt.

The random battle areas actually have more stuff in them than some of these permanent locations.

It's basically what Biowraith said.

There's lots of other stuff too, but I'll hold off on those until I finish the game as maybe they're hiding all their quality content for the finale.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 26, 2014, 01:21:53 pm »

As an example, and I guess I should spoiler tag this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There's a fair few locations/encounters like that.  The only two exceptions I've found so far were Angel Oracle and Rodia, which were a fair bit more in depth, but still not on par with the more involved locations back in Arizona.

If I were to soundbite it I'd probably say if Arizona feels somewhat similar to Fallout 2 (not quite, but go with it), California is more like Fallout: Tactics.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm still enjoying it and would still recommend the game to any fan of the genre even at full price, but the 2nd half's content is definitely weaker.

And totally unrelated to that, my game just gave me some sads:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 26, 2014, 02:42:20 pm »

Fallout Tactics had MASSIVE maps though. All the way to the end. Each battle could take a really, really long time.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 26, 2014, 02:54:18 pm »

Mostly I just meant in terms of depth of story non-combat content.  In practice those massive maps were still basically a chain of small-to-medium fights, it just didn't have as many loading screens between them.

Edit: having now reached Hollywood/Griffith Park it's an improvement.  Still not exactly massive or super-deep, but another more substantial location like Rodia or Angel Oracle, maybe on par with the Arizona stuff.  I think the 2nd half has more locations overall than Arizona, just a lot of them are (slightly) glorified random encounters and the 'big' ones aren't quite as big.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 05:37:30 pm by Biowraith »

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 04, 2014, 12:18:34 pm »

picked up the game and played it some. I like it ok. Lots of things can use improving, but we will have to wait for the modkit to come out and the modders take over. Hopefully its a good kit so modders can make new areas with new buildings. We could really do with more variety in the random encounters. With the way the world is setup, it looks like its built for modding. Modders can add new areas pretty easily. Lots of things they can do to make it more strategic. So far I have not found all that much strategy. i would guess modders will add overhaul mods so you get bonuses/negatives for hitting someone from the side, etc... hopefully it won't be that long before mods come out. The game has a nice structure, but modding in Skyrim did wonders for replayability.

I would also like the ability to tilt the view forward so i can see more in one direction. It can move, but this is more convenient. I am not sure why I can't zoom out farther. Modern computers should be able to handle that. Its just more convenient.

I'm lazy so I googled a build. I don't remember the link. Only thing unique about it is I dropped luck/charisma to 1. From google charisma appears to be useless. Luck helps with finding items, but not really with survivability. Playing in regular mode. I forget the fancy name for it. Its the 2nd lowest. I am finding 30-06 ammo for my sniper to be pretty rare. I am only at ag center.

So questions. Please no spoilers. Just looking for game mechanics. I find it more fun to stumble on stuff. If I miss it, then I generally find its not required to finish the game. Its more fun this way. I don't care if i miss stuff.

1. 30-06 ammo seems to be the hardest to find. Probably in part due to my low luck. Is this always the case? My sniper runs out of ammo and I have to scum. The build I followed only gave my sniper 1 combat skill. so he is useless without ammo. Other 3 have melee and weapons.
2. Blunt seems like garbage due to high action point requirement. Is this true the whole game? I have 1 guy with slashing (or edged, for get exact name. he has a nice). He gets more attacks, but I read this does not have alot of damage penetration so not real useful late game.
3. is there a level cap? It looks like skills get more expensive as you level them. So it looks like you have to save to max out to 10.
4. my build did not come with alarm disarm. Is this necessary? some skills are more useful then others. Or is it only useful in spots. If its going to get me attacked, I can always fight my way through on this difficulty I would think.
5. animal whisperer: my build started with this. When is this actually useful?
6. survival: got this at ag center. has some uses there. I read this is rarely useful. so no reason to really raise it right?
7. I have not lost any NPCs. my guess is that when I get into the Ranger Citadel I can probably replace dead party members right? Is there a cap on party size or do npcs come and go?

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 04, 2014, 02:23:57 pm »

All skills except combat and First Aid/Surgeon are optional.

All the responses are only valid for the Arizona part of the game, as I haven't completed it yet.

1: You'll start to pick up plenty later and can buy it from merchants. Sniper is viable but you're probably going to be a close-quarter sniper for the most part.
2: Once you pick up a Crowbar, and if you mod it, blunt is awesome. The nailboard or whatever it's called is pretty horrible with the 5 AP cost, but the crowbar only has an AP cost of 3. Also, if you have the weapon modification skill (which is suggest wholeheartedly) you can apply grip tape on some melee weapons to reduce their AP cost by 1. 2 AP crowbar is pretty deadly on a strong guy. Not a substitute for burst-fire assault rifles, but still pretty lethal. You'll want criticals on melee though.
3. No idea.
4: Alarm disabling is purely optional although not having it will force you into some combat encounters and prevent you from getting some stuff, I believe.
5: As far as I know it's very optional. I know no other use for it than to use on neutral animals to get an attribute bonus (only lasts until the animal dies, though, and they're not exactly sturdy) and for use on enemy critters to make them flee or something (never actually tried it, bullets work just fine).
6: You mean outdoorsman. I didn't really encouter much use for it after AG center.
7: There's 3 (I think) replacements at Ranger Citadel. No idea what happens if you get those killed as well. Party size is 7; 4 rangers and 3 followers.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 04, 2014, 03:48:03 pm »

So after about 20 hours....

It's a good game but I'm now feeling where it being a kickstarter cut into some things. There's simply not enough enjoyable randomness in game. Random encounter and random map locations would make this game about 3x as fun to explore. Exploration on the map isn't fun though, it's a slog between clouds of radiation and the same fights over and over and over again. Ag Center has by far been the most detailed area. Rail Nomads was a pretty big disappointment when it was all said and done. There's not enough status effects to really justify the pharmacy worth of stuff my medic carries around.

Combat, at least, is enjoyable and balanced, unlike Shadowrun Returns which has the same combat but manages to make it feel more trivial.

Dialog options and consequences so far seem non-existent, and anything less than 4 points in HA/KA/SM seems like a waste of time. There's almost no chances to use them that I've seen, and if you don't have the skill to use them when the option appears, generally, you're never going to get another chance at it. That alone has been cause for me to knock a couple points off the game in my head.

The game feels like it has a solid structure to get to 20, 30+ hours worth of play time. But it's a pretty sparsely adorned structure at times, and that starts to wear on your entertainment. I feel like with another year, this game would be filled out and populated with ideas so that it would really be a standout game. As it is, it's competent enough to be purchaseable but not necessarily amazing enough I'd recommend it widely. I think the best part of it is probably designing your own rangers, so you get that kind of attachment to them. That alone kept me engaged for a couple days. The rest of the game just doesn't pay out enough in surprises and details.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 04:13:43 pm by nenjin »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13