Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: Wasteland 2!  (Read 34414 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wasteland 2!
« Reply #120 on: September 22, 2014, 11:52:05 pm »

Well, with my first group of 1 trick noobs, I have failed horribly at ammo management.  Pretty much missing way too many attacks with the expensive ammo.  Then there is the fact that I have 2 melee only units.  They would be great, except for the fact that they miss a lot at their level also... and I'm encountering things that explode on death.  There are a lot of things to fight.  I simply do not have the ammo to fight em all.... much less afford it.

This is on Ranger/Supreme Jerk difficulty.  (I think I started with Supreme Jerk and just dialed it down, but no ammo is still a problem.)

Party:
10 Charm - Assault Rifle/Leader
10 Int - Sniper
10 Luck - Brawler (Int became a dump stat...)  Lucky sum-o-a-bitch though.  Avoided a lot of hits and stuff.
10 Awareness - Blade User

I've played with the character creator/new game a few more times.   Mostly tried it with Ranger difficulty.  You want at bare minimum... 10-11 Combat Initiative at that difficulty.  (Almost everyone are still faster then you, but you won't be sucking their dust trails with that.)

Just tried Rookie difficulty.  It is babies.  Literally.  You can probably play with a whole party of Charm/Luck/Int guys... Cause all your enemies have soft skin and hit like babies.  Plus you regen HP while traveling on overworld.
Take for example the first 'mini-boss' you face.  Literally able to eat a full health raw recruit's face off and takes a few dozen bullets on supreme jerk, while exploiting its AI, the terrain and Angela.  In Rookie difficulty, down for the count before the first round is even over.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 23, 2014, 12:45:12 am »

I too noticed accuracy being garbage so here's stuff I found to help:

1. Get that leadership perk. Get lots of it. It gives a pretty massive accuracy boost to your whole team.
2. Put scopes on all your guns. If you ran out of scopes, break down any guns that can give you scopes. Weaponsmithing is very useful because of this.
3. Animal whisperers can get certain animals which buff your base stats. Cows, goats, rats, etc.
4. Don't bother giving weapons that your teammembers can't use. They'll just miss all the time.

By the way, my sniper is a nun. Here's her portrait.

She basically carries my team. Kills off half the enemy before they even get close to me due to all her boosts to range and accuracy.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 23, 2014, 12:53:56 am »

Actually, I did have that leadership perk in my first run through, on supreme jerk.  Its just the fact that I was totally new(unoptimized), coupled with all the missing and the fact that I need to spend more bullets to kill things... well, it spirals down pretty hard to empty.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 23, 2014, 05:04:55 am »

Ran into another ridiculous bug.

A follower named Takayuki joined me after I saved his mother waaay back at the start of the game. Suddenly now the game randomly decided to flag it as if I killed the miners and his mother instead. So not only does this Follower refuse to follow me any more (while holding all my RPGs and explosives) but all those miners I saved now hate me because I killed them.

Sigh...

I managed to solve the Rail Nomads questline without resorting to text input. Maybe Sartain ran into a bug as well that required him to use it.

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 23, 2014, 05:21:34 am »

Having recently bought this fine gem of a game today, my first few adventures consisted of:

Trying to roll a single ranger at standard difficulty. Poor Sombrero John was eaten alive by the toad. There probably IS a build that allows you to solo the game at a lower difficulty, but suffice to say, it's not a high charisma/toaster repair build.

Rolled up an actual party next time: One meathead melee with 10 strength and agility but no intelligence to speak of, as well as three identical goons (in true X-COM style) wielding knives with 10/10 agility and Coordination. Things went swell until accumulated damage from the toad caused one of the goons to bleed out, and since none of the party had medical skills, not much we could do despite having a ridiculous amount of supplies. Game sort of ended when everyone but the leader bled to death, and said leader was broke due to poor money management. I like to think that he decided to screw being a ranger and went back to the life of a raider.

Roll a similar party, replace the meathead with a Mormon cleric, as well as individualize the goons' special skills. Doing much better so far: goons slice apart raiders usually before they attack, and the medic keeps them from bleeding to death. I know not having a dedicated ranged unit is going to bite me later, but for now, trying to build up a stable money base and outfit my rangers.

Customization could use work. Wonder how well this game supports mods.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 23, 2014, 06:11:37 am »

Ran into another ridiculous bug.

A follower named Takayuki joined me after I saved his mother waaay back at the start of the game. Suddenly now the game randomly decided to flag it as if I killed the miners and his mother instead. So not only does this Follower refuse to follow me any more (while holding all my RPGs and explosives) but all those miners I saved now hate me because I killed them.

Sigh...

I managed to solve the Rail Nomads questline without resorting to text input. Maybe Sartain ran into a bug as well that required him to use it.
I'm curious how exactly you solved it. It has several solutions. Of course there's an alternative to text input which is clicking the word you have to input directly when it appears in the dialogue. It never appears as an option in your choices though.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 23, 2014, 10:16:48 am »

Trying to roll a single ranger at standard difficulty. Poor Sombrero John was eaten alive by the toad. There probably IS a build that allows you to solo the game at a lower difficulty, but suffice to say, it's not a high charisma/toaster repair build.

Game was balanced so that you will need more then 1 character.  Plus, there is at least 1 section of the game, where you need to leave 1 character behind to do stuff.
Well, you could play lone ranger +companions.  Rather then the lonesome ranger.  If you insist on lonesome ranger, do Rookie difficulty and just pick up a companion when you need one.  (Though, you can still collect what you can and dismiss em, they'll show up at base.)
I'm settling on doing 2 non-optimized rangers +companions run on Seasoned difficulty.  Still is easier to keep my people alive then 4 semi-optimized rangers +companions in Ranger difficulty actually. 

« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 10:30:59 am by Zangi »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 23, 2014, 10:28:56 am »

The only game that did that sort or rearrangement of numbers where I felt like the increased difficulty actually changed gameplay (as in you had to change your play style)

Was in Freedom Force (it was actually quite... considerable going from normal to hard)... Enemies you used to deal with, with one hit kills actually required some set up... and enemies had more knockback power too and could dance around you quite easily if you didn't plan accordingly.

I somehow doubt Wasteland 2 is the exception.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 23, 2014, 10:39:03 am »

*Shrug*   Longer battles that are more deadly to you.  Makes a difference between haphazardly moving your all melee team into the fray or to hang back behind cover/maneuver for flanking/getting in the face of a sniper/rifleman... while counting the bullets/medpacks you got on hand. 

Though, I have not really bothered to test it.  The difficulties may change enemy Action Point and Combat Initiative.

EDIT: The counting bullets thing is probably more in line with supreme jerk difficulty...  You could end up having to count medpacks in ranger difficulty if you are not careful enough.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 10:41:26 am by Zangi »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 23, 2014, 10:41:10 am »

Is it more fun at least?

Cause one of the reasons I never increase difficulty in, lets say, Skyrim is because the game doesn't get more fun with increased difficulty... just more tedius.

I don't know why Doom changed level layouts with more difficulty and everyone else has forgotten about this ever since...

Is Wasteland more fun at higher difficulties or just more tedious is really what I am asking... Since it could go either way.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 23, 2014, 10:53:25 am »

Meh, I'm more of a do everything kinda person I guess.  ...  Hmm...  if I think about it, tedious combat does not come to mind. 
My hang-up is probably the fact that I need to choose between combat or do other stats on higher difficulties.  Hence, seasoned with 2 of my own unoptimized rangers.  Rather then 4 combat rangers in a higher difficulty.

EDIT: Well, it is also so I could fit more companions into the party... for their dialogue.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 10:56:45 am by Zangi »

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2014, 11:10:07 am »

I'm playing on the "just above Rookie" (forgot the name) difficulty and I feel it's a good fit. Not too challenging since I'm not exceptionally hardcore at games like this, but the large battles do provide some challenge. I'm not really feeling much of a resource drain yet, though, but still haven't progressed much past the first areas.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2014, 12:20:29 pm »

I'm curious how exactly you solved it. It has several solutions. Of course there's an alternative to text input which is clicking the word you have to input directly when it appears in the dialogue. It never appears as an option in your choices though.

This is what I did:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My guy has 7 Charisma and 6 smart ass, 2 hard ass, and 2 kiss ass.

Vortex Rikers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 23, 2014, 02:49:07 pm »

I haven't read the entire thread for fear of spoilers and such, but after a solid 20 or so hours I just want to state that this game gives me a stiffy harder than Divinity: Original Sin, which is also excellent.

After so many old dudes have lost their touch it's incredibly refreshing to see Brian Fargo and his team still have what it takes to make a brilliant game. If anything I'm now pumped up for Torment: Tides of Numenera as it's being done by the same guys.

Only gripe is I wish melee was more viable, make a proper team and grind just a little bit on random encounters and ammo won't be an issue even on Supreme Jerk difficulty.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 23, 2014, 02:59:48 pm »

I'm not sure which I'd choose between this and Divinity: Original Sin.  I'm sure glad I don't have to though.  Already I think this is is my favourite year for new PC games for quite some time and by a fairly large margin, and it's still not done yet - we may well get Pillars of Eternity before the year's up and hopefully it'll be to a similar calibre.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13