Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Damn it, Dwarves!  (Read 4994 times)

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
Damn it, Dwarves!
« on: April 15, 2012, 01:34:08 pm »

So, will Dwarves not take water from the caves or something? My CMD is giving me mad clean patient and give water spam because my water is still frozen over, but I have several perfectly working wells, the only thing is that they're in the cavern. Since normally the only ones who get hurt are my soap makers who get eaten by some savage creature, I could care less when they dehydrate and die. However, both my legendary herbalist/cook and my Militia Commander were wounded trivially in the latest ambush, each receiving a cut to the foot. They're lying outside, immobilized, and no dwarves are picking them up nor are they bringing them anything. I don't want my legendary Militia Commander dying from some infection or dehydration because my dwarves were too stupid to pick them up.

Am I doing something wrong here, or is the beard-sense with my dwarves just failing to pick up these two wounded for no particular reason?
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Damn it, Dwarves!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 01:45:05 pm »

Do you have restrict civs to burrows turned on? Enough hospital beds?
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 01:52:44 pm »

Marked as water source?

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 03:48:26 pm »

I feel this would more simply be solved by liberal application of magma to the frozen water sources, rendering them unfrozen.  Bonus points if you can avoid having them turn into obsidian, of course.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 04:21:48 pm »

Are they unconscious?

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 04:27:16 pm »

I feel this would more simply be solved by liberal application of magma to the frozen water sources, rendering them unfrozen.  Bonus points if you can avoid having them turn into obsidian, of course.

I feel this would more simply be solved by liberal application of magma to the [problem], rendering it [solved].  Bonus points if you can avoid [extreme long term problems].

If you have a problem in DF, just work off that sentence.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 07:33:44 am »

I second Oliolli on this. Also, that makes a badass quote Oli.
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 07:38:22 am »

Make sure you have plenty of idlers with recover wounded/feed patients enabled.

Also make sure you have buckets to go with your wells. Having 1 bucket to haul water around will result in dwarven dehydration. I usually make a few dozen.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 08:45:09 am »

Do all these things, mark the water in the cavern (and the 3x3 area around the wells) with a water source zone, using (i)

Make sure your buckets aren't filled with lye or whatever, or make more buckets.

For your dwarves not rescuing the wounded, check if your 'hospital' (again a zone using ) has enough beds, and that there actually are idlers with the 'haul wounded' profession enabled. Also check if they're already ON a bed, if they are, deconstruct the bed.

>
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:13:16 am by SRD »
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 09:42:32 am »

Make sure your buckets aren't filled with lye or whatever, or make more buckets.

Theres a dfhack for bugged buckets I think.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 09:48:33 am »

only for getting the water out of them, not the lye
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 09:56:00 am »

Do all these things, mark the water in the cavern (and the 3x3 area around the wells) with a water source zone, using

For your dwarves not rescuing the wounded, check if your 'hospital' (again a zone using ) has enough beds, and that there actually are idlers with the 'haul wounded' profession enabled. Also check if they're already ON a bed, if they are, deconstruct the bed.
>

This shouldn't work, but...

Right. Okay. Seems that [ i] [ /i] causes cursive. Which you've avoided by using < i> instead, which is admirable but somehow had the result of making everything, everything below your post cursive. It even affected the actual reply button, somehow. I've used two
< /i>'s to counter your unintended tags.

edit: hah, it still affects my avatar, rank and the topic title. Seems < /i> wreaks havoc. I'm curious if has the same effect. :P

edit2: nothing out of the ordinary. Fun, performing !!science!! on the forum layout. :P
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 09:59:02 am by AWdeV »
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 10:05:26 am »

Makes the world cursive

Imagines straight socks and goes berserk.

Edit: Edited above post to make whole page bold. I have figured out how to do so and will NEVER tell anyone :3

>
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:25:21 am by SRD »

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 10:23:27 am »

Damn it, SRD!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:25:52 am by AWdeV »
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 10:24:26 am »

wut.
Pages: [1] 2