Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Another Challenge, This one, Urist-meltingly hard.  (Read 3751 times)

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Another Challenge, This one, Urist-meltingly hard.
« on: April 15, 2012, 01:28:20 pm »

Let's make Rapture.
That is to say, a fortress on the seabed. All underwater rooves MUST be made out of glass. Booze must be modded to give a random ability (plasmids!)
soldiers must be armored in bronze and carry modified curly spikes (the ones used in pump stacks) (BIG DADDIES!). Pressure-plates and caged monsters will suffice for security cameras. Magma isn't necessary, however kudos if you put it in. Extra points for modding human female children to be Little Sisters, and using them as pets for your soldiers, arming then with daggers.  Whoever dares , wins.

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Another Challenge, This one, Urist-meltingly hard.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 01:34:09 pm »

I once made a city on the sea bed using obsidian casting. Glass sounds a "BIT" harder, tho. Good luck to anyone whoa attempts.
Imagine the will it took to create a fortress like this. And what have you elves built? Nothing. You can only loot and break. You're not dwarves!! You're just termites at Versailles.

It's not that I don't suffer, it's that I know the unimportance of suffering, I know that pain is to be fought and thrown aside, not to be accepted as part of one's soul and as a permanent scar across one's view of existence.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 01:34:52 pm »

I did plan on building an underwater city sometime in the future. Not sure how closely it would resemble Rapture, however.

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 01:37:48 pm »

@King DZA
but if it did, OH LORD WOULD IT BE AMAZING. I can just imagine. A platoon of ten big daddies with their giant screws and bronze armor stabbing the fuck out of some drowning goblins.

A dwarf breathes fire after drinking a plasmid, booze explosion.

Little Sister stabbing a goblin to death after her big daddy died.

8)

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 01:51:08 pm »

i did half make a rapture city, drain the ocean, grren glass, bronze and brass with handy floodgates
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 02:15:45 pm »

Hmm, I suppose a roof of some kind could be made if/when the ocean is frozen, then once the proper roof is made, the outer roof is then mined/ unconstructed out.

Are there any ocean-going building destroyers?

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 03:41:22 pm »

Hmm, I suppose a roof of some kind could be made if/when the ocean is frozen, then once the proper roof is made, the outer roof is then mined/ unconstructed out.

Are there any ocean-going building destroyers?

Not sure about vanilla, but I believe there are several in LFR, maybe Masterwork.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 04:25:03 pm »

Well obsidian is glass, is it not?
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 04:26:38 pm »

It's a lot easier to dig out your city, place everything down then direct a river into the basin. Though nothing' stopping you from going full on ocean raeghe.

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 04:32:01 pm »

It seems much harder than it would be before you consider that it's pretty easy to drain the whole ocean into the caverns, and build a temporary wall to build inside. When done, re-drain, deconstruct the wall, and get to work.
Also green glass is not only easy, but perfect for this project.
Now that there are conditional syndromes, and mine carts are being added, this might be entirely viable.

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 06:10:07 pm »

oh yeah. also: a subway system.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 06:39:52 pm »

I made a rapture expy city in 40d by casting an obsidian caisson into the ocean, and then collapsing it into the sea floor after construction was complete. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caisson_(engineering)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 06:47:39 pm »

Waiting for the ocean to freeze then mining out the parts you want to build glass in (then draining the ocean that's within the glass bubble once it's completed) sounds like the funnest way to approach this challenge.  I don't think you'd be able to do it in one go though... try over several winters.

Minority

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 09:03:13 pm »

I made a rapture expy city in 40d by casting an obsidian caisson into the ocean, and then collapsing it into the sea floor after construction was complete. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caisson_(engineering)

How exactly does collapsing cast obsidian work? I know that anything constructed breaks apart as it falls, but 'natural' walls don't. Does it keep shape with corridors and things? or do you have to make it solid, drop it to the bottom and mine out the inside?

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 10:55:44 pm »

Just... like... do it in a freezing biome...

DERPDEHERPDALOOLOLO
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.
Pages: [1] 2