Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: No Migrants. No Traders.  (Read 4906 times)

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Migrants. No Traders.
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 02:44:33 pm »

Start a breeding program!
This. Are your dwarfs socializing enough?
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 02:50:58 pm »

Start a breeding program!
This. Are your dwarfs socializing enough?

Lol, this... At default setting my kids average half of my population, with the total pop being 50% higher than the cap. Last fort, 75 adults, 76 kids, 100 pop cap :p

I kid the kid settings on this one, lets see how it goes :)
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 03:09:25 pm »

I had the same problem, but instead of migrants or traders, it was kings and gods.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

JackOSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurker Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 03:18:17 pm »

My blacksmith is missing a buttcheek. Poor guy.

then I guess he does a Half-assed job.....

Vivio

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 03:40:05 pm »

Do you have a save or worldgen parameters you can upload? I've always wanted to play a world with no migrants and traders.

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 09:50:19 pm »

Do you have a save or worldgen parameters you can upload? I've always wanted to play a world with no migrants and traders.
Sadly the save is part of my Svartalfheim quasi-alpha, which I'm not willing to upload as of yet, especially as it still has tons of masterwork civs-features I plan on cutting.

Did some further research into this world today. Apparently the dwarves had it bad from the get-go. In the year 1 they founded the only two fortresses they ever would. Fortifygrowl and Knightlygeared. The dwarves had chosen to dwell in a mountain range bordered only by glaciers and deserts in the far north. Every year they would be invaded by beasts most foul. Orcs. Muspel. Hrimthur. Warwolves. Every year the enemy would be driven back. While the elves and humans flourished in the extreme south (the elves have well over a dozen forest retreats), the dwarves had no other friendly civilizations to draw the attentions of their enemies in the bitter north. Even so, their first settlement didn't fall until the year 67. Knightlygeared, ever the less prosperous of the two cities, finally fell to the Hrimthur. Fortifygrowl, having fended off opportunistic human incursions for the past 3 years, would collapse in the face of a Muspel onslaught two years later, being led by the last general of their civilization, Vucar Midnighthorrible.

Truly, this is the most grimdark world I've ever genned up. Although the humans attacking the dwarves in the last few years of their existence sorta confuses me.
Imagine the will it took to create a fortress like this. And what have you elves built? Nothing. You can only loot and break. You're not dwarves!! You're just termites at Versailles.

It's not that I don't suffer, it's that I know the unimportance of suffering, I know that pain is to be fought and thrown aside, not to be accepted as part of one's soul and as a permanent scar across one's view of existence.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 09:51:49 pm »

I had the same problem, but instead of migrants or traders, it was kings and gods.

WAT.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 10:02:46 pm »

WAT.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Its an old anarchist slogan as I recall. Think there might have been a book.
Imagine the will it took to create a fortress like this. And what have you elves built? Nothing. You can only loot and break. You're not dwarves!! You're just termites at Versailles.

It's not that I don't suffer, it's that I know the unimportance of suffering, I know that pain is to be fought and thrown aside, not to be accepted as part of one's soul and as a permanent scar across one's view of existence.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 10:04:25 pm »

WAT.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Its an old anarchist slogan as I recall. Think there might have been a book.

WAT
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 10:06:10 pm »

He was referring the title.

No Gods. No Kings. Only man.
No Migrants. No Traders. Only dwarf.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 10:07:03 pm »

The kobold begins to snicker.

hehe..hehe....WAT?

hehehehe.....

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 10:10:39 pm »

My current fort is exactly the same way.  I refuse to tweak the child:12 token on dwarves. I am midway through a megaproject construction with 24 dwarves. (6 are children.)

Want hard? Live with crippling population limits, and no trade liason. :D.

(I am not suicidal though. I have invaders off at the moment. My plan is to build a magnificent mountain home with 1000 dwarves in it, then switch to adv mode with dfusion, die, and save.)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 10:11:43 pm »

My current fort is exactly the same way.  I refuse to tweak the child:12 token on dwarves. I am midway through a megaproject construction with 24 dwarves. (6 are children.)

Want hard? Live with crippling population limits, and no trade liason. :D.

(I am not suicidal though. I have invaders off at the moment. My plan is to build a magnificent mountain home with 1000 dwarves in it, then switch to adv mode with dfusion, die, and save.)

You can switch from DF to Adv instantly in DFusion?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2012, 10:14:40 pm »

You used to be able to.  You take posession of one of the fortress's dwarves, and it shoves the game into adv mode.

This let's you keep a fortress active, rather than abandoning.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2012, 10:32:20 pm »

What mod this be?
Pages: 1 [2] 3