Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: About monarchs (a few questions I couldn't find answers by looking at the wiki)  (Read 3170 times)

mdqp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, now I have got a nice king for myself and my fortress. What I want to know is if the guy dies, do I get a new king? I am asking because I noticed that some of my previous migrants are actually royalty (a few nieces and nephews of the king), and I wondered if they might become one, if I clear up the succession line for them a bit!  :P

Also, the wiki lists among the requirements 5000 uristbucks of roads, but I basically have none, and they weren't listed in the requirements I had in the noble list, once I reached a population of 140 (I remember needing the roads in a previous version, though). Has it been changed since the previous versions, but the wiki hasn't updated yet, or sometimes the game doesn't ask for roads? (It also says you need a duke, but I am just a barony, and I am doing just fine).

Finally, the 5 guards that come with him are going to be 100% vampire free, right? I am guessing they are generated, but maybe I am wrong...

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Vampire and necromancer free is probably too much to ask for...watch out for the consort
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

Well, king has [SUCCESSION:BY_HEIR], so if the king has living children, one of them should take over. I don't know what would happen if the children were all dead, but the grand kids were still around.

I think the roads requirement is no longer true in this version. My monarch came before I'd built any roads, or even had my fortress promoted at all.

mdqp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Vampire and necromancer free is probably too much to ask for...watch out for the consort

He is a lonely king, no consort, so I don't need to worry about it, but one of the guards has come with a wife, so maybe they aren't generated, after all.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

KIll the wife, he wont care.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

mdqp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, king has [SUCCESSION:BY_HEIR], so if the king has living children, one of them should take over. I don't know what would happen if the children were all dead, but the grand kids were still around.

I think the roads requirement is no longer true in this version. My monarch came before I'd built any roads, or even had my fortress promoted at all.

Well, once they are all dead, it would mean that one of them has become the new king, unless they all died at the same time, which means that it would be the turn of their children. I am wondering more about brothers and their sons, if they can get a shot at being kings or not.

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You could always vampify the king, then he'll live forever. A couple of forts ago I had a vampire queen arrive who had been on the throne for over 950 years.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

mdqp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You could always vampify the king, then he'll live forever. A couple of forts ago I had a vampire queen arrive who had been on the throne for over 950 years.

This is my first fort without a vampire since their introduction, so I lack a source of blood for that to work (unless there is a vampire with the king, or if the king himself is a vampire. I haven't performed any investigations yet, but somehow I doubt there is one hiding...). Oh well, maybe some of my dwarves will die, and leave place for a new, more interesting kind of immigrant.  :D

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile

My last set of monarchs were a king vampire and consort necromancer. They didn't last too long. I overestimated how many times they could take a Hammerer to the head.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

In theory, a niece or nephew would take up the throne once the king died with no children.  However, in practice, we haven't done any science into royalty succession.  In DF terms, it might be purely straight line child succession, and nieces and brothers and everyone else is ignored.

Not many people go through the effort of gaining the king, and even fewer kill their king.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Not many people go through the effort of gaining the king, and even fewer kill their king.

And so my quest begins.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile

And so my quest begins.

Death to the oligarchs!
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

mdqp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anyway, I abandoned that fort just now, because I want to make it more beautiful. I tried a 2x2 imbark in this one, but FPS decay seems to set in more or less with the same rate, so I might as well get a 3x3, that will give me more space to put together a decent looking fort, with a better defensive perimeter. The best way to test the royalty succession should be to start playing in a really young world, right? with little time, they shouldn't get a too big family, maybe I should try it, sooner or later...