Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My ideal trap! finally...  (Read 1272 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My ideal trap! finally...
« on: April 15, 2012, 01:00:15 am »

Partly to show off a creation, but also, I'd like to see if people can find any glaring holes in this design or make good suggestions while there is still space to put more stuff in.

TL;DR:
Basically, you can have a dragon come and attack, drown him, then flood a bunch of goblins on amphibious mounts with lava instead, drain that separately, and then shoot something else with bolts.  Whatever you need.  And a place to gather or smash goodies later.

This is designed to basically be able to kill and process anything at all that comes at it, with cage and weapon traps included strictly as a convenient minor backup tool, not as a necessary component.

Top level: Entrance and killing floor

UPPER LEFT: barracks for marksdwarves (see little hallways with fortifications next to them.  This is for shooting titans or megabeasts etc. who might theoretically break bridges AND be immune to fire AND lava AND traps...)
LOWER LEFT: Bad guy entrance and highly pressurized magma inlet (8 pumps each tapping into a different point around the circumference of a volcano 30 z levels higher than them.  They are able to drain one level of volcano per about 5 seconds and fill up this whole hall in 1 second).  This will also have a highly pressurized water inlet (from a huge, tall water tank up above).
UPPER RIGHT: the third section of the trap.  Not finished yet, but would have a bridge up top, and would hold cage, then weapon traps, if I felt like caging something (like a dragon for fun).  Not really necessary, though.  Also, provides the route to the fortress for pathing.
LOWER RIGHT: bridges that retract once the room is full of liquid and the valve re-closed.

Next level: Corpse (meat/leather) and goblinite reclamation floor
BOTTOM: Everything from the above bridges drops down onto here.  This is a series of opposing swinging bridges, with lines of floor grates in between them.  Liquids crashing down into this floor full of dead goblins, etc. will catch all of the solids (bodies and weapons) but allow all the liquids to drain out very quickly, leaving behind only 1/7 on the bridges.  If water, dwarves can immediately drop the bridges up above and swarm in and start butchering and grabbing goblinite they want.  If lava, you have to wait a bit for it to evaporate enough to form some pathways, but not so long for everything to evaporate.  A few seconds, usually.
When all the stuff you want is gone, just open the bridges and toss everything else down.  Leftover scraps on the grates can be dropped by pulling a lever to open the grates.
TOP: Butcher shops, tannery, and on the left side, there will be weapon stockpiles and such for goblinite and other goodies storage.
SECOND IMAGE: Bridges open

Next level: Evaporation floor.
This is just a floor with bridges and an outlet to a pump (seen in the images above).  The pump draws away excess water or magma and sends it to the edge of the map below, until there is only 1/7 left to evaporate.  This is one of TWO evaporation floors, so you can use lava and water in quick succession in the same siege.  This is the second one (after the lower is filled, you put these bridges down.  usually they stay open), and thus isn't used often.

Bottom level: Evaporation floor, and/or atom smasher, aquifer generator, drains
TOP: drains to edge of the map.  Two of them, so you can drain lava from one evaporation floor and water from the other at the same time without obsidian.
LEFT: an aquifer engine for running the pumps constantly (and other unseen stuff elsewhere in the fort)
BOTTOM: This serves as the primary of the two evaporation floors, if you are in a non-exploitative mood (it has a pump outlet for more "legitimately" removing liquids and letting them evaporate).  In conjunction with the above floor, this can evaporate, say, magma, while you close the bridges above and use water for the next wave of attackers.
These bridges also can raise and smash back down though, for disposing of whatever leftovers from the invaders you didn't want earlier on on the processing floor.  Refuse will fall down here to be obliterated.  There is also an access wall, in case you change your mind first and do want to grab some stuff, or if you want to atom smash other things in the fort here.

Volcano taps:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What the world looks like in exactly 2:00 minutes, if you turn on the magma valve at the wrong time:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 01:27:50 am by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My ideal trap! finally...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 01:23:12 am »

your fortifications in the first one provide no protection from ranged, if i'm not mistaken? (might have been best to have the barracks a level up, looking down into the killing field... )

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My ideal trap! finally...
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 01:25:10 am »

your fortifications in the first one provide no protection from ranged, if i'm not mistaken? (might have been best to have the barracks a level up, looking down into the killing field... )
Well the shooting gallery is easy to move, I can do that.  Doesn't much matter where the barracks are.  What sort of geometry is needed to be able to shoot down at something? 
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.