Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven Supersoldiers, am i doing this right?  (Read 3001 times)

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Supersoldiers, am i doing this right?
« on: April 14, 2012, 10:47:37 pm »

So here's what I'm thinking:

2x2 rooms, in a 4x4 grid, total of 16. Accessed from above with hatches and a ramp. Room contains a masterwork bed, table, and a chair, and has masterfully engraved floors and walls.

The inner square of walls will have a constructed fortification at the junction between each room; This is for a mist generator running over the grid, filling each room with mist.

In each room I will drop 1 dwarf that has just achieved childhood. Each room will also contain several years worth of masterwork food and booze, and 6-12 poults. (I see turkeys fighting, so that should work just the same as puppies.) If possible, I'll assign the poults to the kid in the room, for bonus deprivation. Clothes, too, if that's necessary.

The goal of the above is to achieve "doesn't really care about anything, anymore" by adulthood.

Once they become adults with that feeling/thought/ethic, they will be assigned to the pump room, day in and day out, running pumps.

Once they are legendary pump operators, and incredibly strong, I'll assign them to training squads.

Once they achieve legendary wrestler, they will be placed in the danger room. Once they achieve legendary dodger, I'll give them armor. Once they achieve legendary armor user, I'll give them weapons. Once they achieve legendary weapon user, I'll give them shields.

Then they'll go back to training to keep their skills sharpened. Training will be interrupted only to battle captured/disarmed goblins in the arena.

My other 2x2 rooms with 3 pieces of furniture are "Grand Bedrooms," so these should be, as well. Some are "Royal," but they have a gem or gold wall tile.

Of course, my bedroom are in dacite, and I just discovered obsidian is triple the value... Since the rooms seem close to Royal already, placing these in obsidian instead of dacite might make that boost...... dunno. Haven't figured out how to calculate room values beforehand, yet. Don't know/can't find the smoothing/engraving modifiers.

Questions:
1: If I assign them the table as a dining room, that might reduce the bedroom to "Great" (2 overlapping rooms cuts value in half, I read), but give them a "Great" dining room. Would a pair of "Great" room thoughts be better, or one "Grand" room thought?
2: Will I need to place a few pieces of clothing in each room, or will the initial set they grab be sufficient for their formative years?
3: Would the clothing falling off and becoming naked actually be helpful? Can't see it, but you never know.
4: Am I correct in assuming 6-12 pet poults ripping each other apart will be as devastating as the normally suggested pet puppies?
5: Should they be assigned as pets, or will that be too tragic and drive the kid insane?
6: Will the fortification at the corner between the 4 rooms allow them to socialize, or will it separate them as well as a normal wall?
7: Am I correct that training without armor/weapons will train them in wrestling? Will this train in anything else, like biting/kicking?
8: What is the best weapon? I'm accumulating some goblin whips, I hear those are way overpowered, but since I'm using death rooms and training rooms........ Will masterwork steel (insert weapon here) be better than copper/iron whips? Are whips the lightsabers I'm thinking of, or is it scourges? Or something else?
9: 16 works out best for the room design above, how should they be divided? 2 squads of 8, 1 of 10, 1 of 6, 4 of 4, etc...

Disclaimer:

This post isn't the place for arguments over the ethics of danger rooms, child isolation "death" rooms, etc. I understand much of this is exploity,... Ok, ALL of it is exploity, but it's the mechanic available in the game, so I'm going to use it. If you have a faster/better method, cool, otherwise... I don't really care  ;)

Thanks!
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Supersoldiers, am i doing this right?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 10:51:12 pm »

In old DF, like 40d, this would be plausible.

Now, this would take 20-30 ingame years. Not counting rust.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 10:54:05 pm »

Dude I've already got a whole massive thread on this.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 10:59:09 pm »

Dude I've already got a whole massive thread on this.

I know, I saw it. I just noticed a few recent posts with the above stuff in it, so I was asking if I understood everything I've read over the last week correctly... Seeing if I pulled it all together correctly.

Thought your post was just normal training methods:p Gunna have to read it again... Actually, I've not seen it since the initial couple pages:p

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 10:59:41 pm »

Why not post in that thread then?

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 11:01:28 pm »

Why not post in that thread then?

Couldn't find it/didn't think about it? :p

We'll go with not wanting to resurrect a thread I didn't see on the first few pages :p

Patroclus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 11:08:13 pm »

Now that kids will put on clothing, is all this necessary?  As long as they're fully clothed, won't they survive a regular wooden training spear danger room?

Won't be as monstrously cruel dwarfy as Girlinhat-brand Dwarven Child "Care"™, but on the other hand it might actually work to produce the desired supersoldiers.
I want Hell to be a place where my dwarves can live in peace and harmony.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 11:09:11 pm »

Now that kids will put on clothing, is all this necessary?  As long as they're fully clothed, won't they survive a regular wooden training spear danger room?

Won't be as monstrously cruel dwarfy as Girlinhat-brand Dwarven Child "Care"™, but on the other hand it might actually work to produce the desired supersoldiers.

Unless there in metal, they die.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Patroclus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 11:17:19 pm »

Unless there in metal, they die.

Apparently not.  Just put an eleven year old wearing nothing but cloth through 15 pages of combat logs, not a scratch on them.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 11:18:40 pm »

Heh. How did I not actually ever read that post? :p

.......... That's the one Girlinhat was talking about...wasn't it... I thought she was meaning her military tutorial...

Well now I feel dumb. :p

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 11:44:25 pm »

May I suggest one thing? You don't need totrain each danger room skill individually. It'll happen all at once.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 12:07:19 am »

May I suggest one thing? You don't need totrain each danger room skill individually. It'll happen all at once.

Cool. My understanding from other posts was they only train the highest blocking thing, shield, otherwise weapon, otherwise armor, otherwise dodge. Good to know.

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 12:09:26 am »

Cool. My understanding from other posts was they only train the highest blocking thing, shield, otherwise weapon, otherwise armor, otherwise dodge. Good to know.

Stuff em in, hit the button, wait, profit. It's awesome.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 12:16:04 am »

Apparently not.  Just put an eleven year old wearing nothing but cloth through 15 pages of combat logs, not a scratch on them.
It's not an instantaneous thing, a training spear that lands a shot to the upper body is very likely to bruise a lung. It's just a matter of time until both lungs are bruised resulting in a death sentence.

Patroclus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 12:38:40 am »

It's not an instantaneous thing, a training spear that lands a shot to the upper body is very likely to bruise a lung. It's just a matter of time until both lungs are bruised resulting in a death sentence.

Try it, and you will see that you are wrong.  Clothes on a child are sufficient to stop training spears.

I've just trained three kids through hundreds of strokes.  Not one of them has even gotten a bruise.

A cloak seems to block most of the shots.  The kid apparently realizes his survival is due to him wearing one.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 12:42:44 am by Patroclus »
Pages: [1] 2