Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: What do you request from the caravan?  (Read 13921 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: What do you request from the caravan?
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2012, 11:18:14 pm »

Cut gems, raw glass, and metal bars.
I stockpile that crap for moody dwarves.

From humans I buy fish, yarn, and lightsabers.

From elves I studiously check for sunberries and giant creatures.

I usually set up green glass as the primary garbage trade item flow, followed by clothing.

Metal is used for stuff that stays in the fortress: smexy statues of elves on fire. Gleaming guilded furniture, delightful steel and candy armor, etc.

Stone gets cut into shiny pet rocks, colored pebbles for lapidiary work, and raw material for megaprojects.

I tend to spam production of greenglass pots over creation of barrels.

In recent releases, the caravans get copious quantities of xPigtail Sockx and the like as exported filth.

Makes me wonder if I could make a "ragpaper mill" custom workshop that accepts clothing. That way XxPigtail TrousersxX becomes *<*Pigtail Paper*>* instead.... hmm...

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2012, 07:27:33 am »

I normally do not request things at all. If the mayor likes rose gold and we cannot make any, sure, we request it.

If I am in a place woefully without good metals, I consider myself screwed. I'll ask for bars, sure, but I know the rate at which they will come is clearly not going to cut it. So, we hope for goblins and a good harvest.

In Rimamused, (A huge clear-glass dome of the 0.31.25 era that is still being made,) we are over 15K glass blocks, and not once did I think of asking for wood. Apparently, my consumption is such that the odd-ears routinely bring me 350 cords of wood a go, and it is slightly more each year. (Same with the dorfs and umans.) There are no caverns, so there is no underground tree farm, though upwards is heavily forested, so we CAN cut in the winter if we are bored. (We can easily deplete 350x3 trees before you could hope for a fifth caravan while lamenting that there wont even be a fourth.) [For informational purposes: We are 60+ years old. We used to get about 120? wood way back when. We buy every log, so it seems the others feel like making another 3-6 Urists more every year and bring us the wood. Lots of glass, lots of wood.]

I do buy out all edibles and any libation anyone might have. I tend to buy leather and cloth for a few years or any time I might be low. Sometimes I buy animals for the variety in foodstuffs.

I think currently Rimamused has 350 fools, 28,000 drinks and something like 2,400 meals. Clearly this system is working for us, but YMMV.
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2012, 07:49:04 am »

I usually request cats and dogs, booze and cheap metals like copper and bronze.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2012, 08:05:11 am »

Flux, steel, pig iron, leather, silk.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2012, 08:06:06 am »

Pretty much... cheese.  Yep, cheese.  Drives away those "same old food" negative thoughts.

A man/woman/person after my own heart.

Because of the way I have modded my raws it is virtually impossible for me to feed a fortress with my own dwarves without dedicating huge numbers of them to farming or fishing, that is unless I get extremely lucky with my hunting. Basically I’d have to sacrifice my military in order to get enough.

I am fascinated and wish to subscribe to your newsletter know how you finagled that.  (Restricted growing seasons?  Longer growing time?  Lower yields?  All of the above?)

I order the most expensive raw stone/ore, gems, and metals that can be brought, GCS silk thread (no crap-quality imported cloth socks for my Urists!), syrup, flour, milk, and cheese.

Cheese is awesome.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Himmelblau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2012, 08:13:35 am »

Leather, wood, steel and iron bars, coke, charcoal and gypsum plaster are usually the highest priorities. Flux too, if there's none on the map.

Early on I request some yarn and silk thread+cloth for moods, as well as every type of glass.
Dwarf Fortress- where a sudden mist that causes you to bleed from every orifice and drop dead is one of the better outcomes.

Flying Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2012, 08:53:25 am »

Food, alcohol, some different leathers (until my leather stockpile has enough,) food, wood, metal only if necessary, cool animals if they have any, food (I have more food then I'll ever need, but more can never hurt,) and that's it.
I never ask for weapons or armor unless I have no metal to make any, which is very rare, and I don't usually use my military much anyway.
Has entire family killed and all friends butchered and raped.
---
It's cool, he saw an awesome sock AND a waterfall, so it's all good now.
it's ‼Super Happy Tantrum Time‼

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2012, 08:59:57 am »

I am fascinated and wish to subscribe to your newsletter know how you finagled that.  (Restricted growing seasons?  Longer growing time?  Lower yields?  All of the above?)

All of the above. Everything in my games takes an entire season to grow and is only valid for one or two seasons a year, including plump helmets and the surface crops. On top of that the [CLUSTERSIZE] is much smaller and varies from plant to plant to ensure that even Legendary growers can, at best, ease the burden, not feed everyone.

The net result is that I have to grow virtually everything if I want to keep a trickle of food coming in, both underground and surface crops, as well as having to dedicate a lot of dwarfpower to it. The plants themselves are mostly dedicated entirely to booze production because if they were being eaten as well we'd starve/dehydrate even faster.

Food is provided by fishing and hunting, as well as rearing pigs for cheese. If the hunting yields are poor I can slaughter a few pigs to keep my dwarves from going hungry for a little while, but ultimately everything is dependent on the caravans.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2012, 09:14:42 am »

Several animals to train as guards for the entrance to my fort.  For spotting kobolds.

After that usually nothing, except maybe some metal bars for good weapons.  I rarely need anything specific.  If I do need something, I usually need it now, not a year from now.

I rarely need to trade after two or three years.  Mainly because I try to keep less than eighty dwarves for FPS reasons.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2012, 09:24:56 am »

I order every available kind of booze and every type of gem. The booze is because you never have enough booze especially when you think you do and the gems are put on valuables which go onto the treasure horde

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2012, 09:39:47 am »

Steel, iron, flux, wood, cloth, thread,  berries/seeds, animals, bags, leather, other precious metals, crutches, splints, buckets, barrels and also I try to get any random material I could be missing for moods.

Any of those Im missing in that order.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2012, 09:54:11 am »

Precious gems and metals. Always. Sometimes sand. I needz mah diamondz, and I leik platinum and stuffs.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2012, 09:57:43 am »

Metals, food, booze, wood, armor and weapons.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2012, 10:17:33 am »

Kaolinite, Bauxite (a throwback to tradition for magma-safe stone), Gypsum stone, Native Aluminum, Platinum Nuggets, Flux/Coal/Iron Ores, all availiable wood, expensive cut gems, or ones found in preferences for some dwarves. Rhino Leather if availiable, else I'll make my own from my livestock. I will buy a variety of food to be processed into roasts in my kitchens, and will buy a sack or two of seeds to cook into biscuits each visit.

usgreth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2012, 11:27:11 am »

Booze always. I normally embark somewhere with enough trees so typically not wood. I normally put a few random low priority food orders in to mix things up a bit. Cloth if I really need it but its common enough to arrive in a caravan anyway. Steel, iron on highish priority, copper on low priority, also put some weird bars (lay pewter and such) until I have a few lying around in case I get a dorfy request. Sand I don't normally order unless I get rather a lot of legendary glassmakers as migrants before they start going berserk. Other crap to melt down for metals on low priority.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4