Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What do you request from the caravan?  (Read 13920 times)

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
What do you request from the caravan?
« on: April 14, 2012, 07:18:27 pm »

I always request:

• high priority- all wood types, gems (all diamond types, rubies, emeralds, sapphires), dwarven sugar, dwarven syrup, all milk types, any domestic animals that I have a sudden need for, flux if I don't have it, kaolinite if I don't have it, coal if I don't have it, any materials that the king likes
    • medium priority- bars of metal types that I don't have on my map, potash, pearlash
    • low priority- every single type of leather available (with low priority I still get dozens of bins from selecting every type), clear glass, crystal glass

What do you order?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do you request from the caravan?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 07:19:42 pm »

Wood, food, booze, weapons, bars.

blocks, stone.

breeding pairs of animals.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 07:33:49 pm »

Flux, steel, pig iron, etc. as well as expensive metals like gold and platinum.  I don't need wood or food or anything, what I need are the non-renewable resources that the caravan can bring limitlessly!

rawrcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 07:44:20 pm »

Max request - Steel bars, Iron bars, Pig Iron bars, Coke, Charcoal
3-point request - War hammers, Short Swords, Battle Axes, Spears, Mail Shirts, Breastplates, Gauntlets, Helms, Shields, High Boots, Bolts, Gypsum plaster

I request weapons and armor because I'm too lazy to fully kit my people with home-made steel, and the caravan usually brings some non-expensive bits I can use for my suicidal death machine. Copper and bolts are to have an easy access to training bolts. I don't nearly butcher enough animals to stick to simply bone arrows, my wood's going for charcoal, and my iron's going for armor, mostly. Steel, Iron and Pig Iron bars should be self explanatory, especially combined with coke and charcoal. Plaster, simply because it's a pain to get naturally, and even though one bag lasts ages, I like to keep extra-stocked just in case.

I of course pick up silk cloth, yarn, leather and cheese as well as all lumber they might bring, plus some waterskins/flasks and backpacks, but those are so common that I don't need requesting.
Niding absolutely detests humans. || twitch.tv/onnings

Dish It Out!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 08:21:42 pm »

In this fort?  Giant Cave Spiders.   :D

When I'm not that lucky?  Usually leather.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 08:27:04 pm »

Early Fort (Where I am right now): Exotic Animals, Clothes.

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 08:43:43 pm »

...Request?

Fuck that I live off the land!

Multiplicity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 09:35:55 pm »

I request the following:

Wood - why not? Wood is a dirt cheap commodity at 3 dwarf bucks a piece and generally traded in more abundance than requesting charcoal/coke directly.
Leather - I request this at the earliest opportunity. Cheaper than requesting quivers/backpacks directly and basic armor for the early game.
Gypsum Plaster - Always.
Bars - steel, (pig) iron, copper, etc.
Anmals/Cages - Can't have enough empty cages and animals if there are certain ones I need/desire.
Armor - Yep, fodder, I mean, respectable dwarven warriors, need to be less squishy.
Crutches/Splints (early) - relatively cheap and don't need to use as much of my wood supply.
Seeds - Just to help certain crops along faster.

Then when I feel random, I'll request whatever is outside this list.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 09:52:47 pm »

What I request:
Wood and booze always.
Leather lately because of clothing requirements, but not every year.
Gypsum plaster the first year.
These are all requested at the first level up from zero.

What I buy:
Wood and booze
Leather and silk (and various wools from Humans, and rope reed from Elves if I am desperate for plant cloth)
Gypsum plaster
Meat, fish, and cheese
Steel items
Clear and crystal glass, and green glass if there is no sand, also sand if there is no sand
Occasionally bars of metal and blocks of unusual rock, if I have a lot of junk to unload
Ocasionally exotic animals from Elves

I have found that the caravans will fulfill my future requirements based on what I buy now, except for leather which will only arrive in large quantities if I request it.  Many of the other things that I used to try to buy from the caravan I have stopped trying because they never arrived in anything but tiny quantities no matter how high I set the demand.  Not even if I request only that item.

Lye I never buy now because I became suspicious that the soap-making used one stack of lye for one bar, no matter how much was in the container.  I know that I get ten bars of soap from a barrel containing ten stacks of 1, homemade.  I believe I only got one bar from purchased barrels containing one stack of 10.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Kar98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 10:22:11 pm »

If I have no iron/steel I will max request toys, anvils, bars, trap components etc. to melt down. My other 'must haves' are wood and gypsum plaster.

I find I go through trends when buying from merchants. For instance in my first year wood, cloth, seeds and leather are all bought up to ensure enough bags and quivers for eventual archers. Later I will look at more anvils, food I don't have such as fish and splints and crutches if I'm lazy to make them out of wood

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 10:26:28 pm »

Leather, because it takes a lot of killing to get suitable amounts.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 10:33:02 pm »

Pretty much... cheese.  Yep, cheese.  Drives away those "same old food" negative thoughts.

I make everything else myself.  120+ Ecstatic Dwarves can't be wrong!   8)

chris_strain

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 11:10:48 pm »

Things I always request the first caravan or two... crystal glass, cassiterite/tins bars if there's none on the map and a few cheap bins of leather and GCS silk. On maps without decent metals I'll max request all toys and instruments and melt them down for metal later.. scavenging this way is a little more fun than buying pre-made weapons from them. Max on iron/steel/pig iron bars and iron ores also if I lack any of the above. On the off chance that something kills my meat and egg factories.. I'll order replacement turkeys.

I order wood/coal/charcoal only if I'm desperate and have no easy magma access... which is uncommon given my fondness for volcano embarks

Llamainaspitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 11:26:15 pm »

Alcohol, highest priority.
I'm terrible at remembering to make it/make stuff to make it.

then maybe a bit of food.

Maynot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 12:20:00 am »

The caravans usually bring plenty of cloth and leather on their own for my needs.  I usually request flux, bituminous coal, liginite, metal ores, sand (I like making a sky light for my meeting area 20x20), or whatever else I happen to be in short supply.
I play games of games inside games in my head.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4