Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: New to this game, how to progress [Spoilers]  (Read 11485 times)

fluff79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New to this game, how to progress [Spoilers]
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2012, 03:20:25 pm »

hey thanks for the help on those questions  :)

everything seems to be getting a little easier with the whole interface second time round and i dont feel like i am always behind and reacting to things when it is too late!  Im sure that will change soon enough though  ;)

So i have 19 dwarfs at the moment and it has just turned 4 seasons since the fortress started.
Ive started to build some walls on the outside of the entrance and some stonefall traps (not seen these in action yet!) and a cage trap (nor this one!) and have 6 of my stumpiest beardiest dwarves training in a barracks.
im not sure ive seen any of them using my archery range yet... so ill play with this when i know they're all armed up with bows and bolts.

The other thing is i havent found natural water or proper metal yet (whatever that is!) the best i have only just found by digging down is galena so ill see what use that can be put to. ill dig around some more to see what is what!

Holy moley 30+ migrants arriving in one wave! where are they all going to sleep, what are they going to eat?! SHUT THE DOORS EVERYTHING WAS GOING FINE!!!  :o  :o

+1, Morul Dorengamil, woodcrafter dropped Datan Shorastrith a dwarven baby sprog in the dining room
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 04:27:08 pm by fluff79 »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2012, 03:34:28 pm »

Dig very deep. When you find a blue metal ore called "raw adamantine", DIG INTO IT ! It's the most precious and better metal in the game !

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2012, 03:35:55 pm »

Dig very deep. When you find a blue metal ore called "raw adamantine", DIG INTO IT ! It's the most precious and better metal in the game !
Mind your tolkien though.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

fluff79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2012, 05:36:21 pm »

Badgers are brutal, and i would settle for any metal!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2012, 07:55:44 pm »

Badgers are brutal, and i would settle for any metal!
Badgers are brutal. I've had several forts ended by them, especially of the giant skeletal variety. :P
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

fluff79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2012, 01:57:38 am »

Well this one was a regular badger.  And it caused the first death at my fortress by eating up a young dwarven child!  The Badger even got a name afterwards  ::) My ten strong militia destroyed it and its family.  Badger bits for dinner, yum

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2012, 10:04:02 am »

Food always tastes better when it's been savagely hacked from a living body.
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

fluff79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2012, 07:13:34 am »

i built a cage in a quiet corner of my foretress and tried to fill it with vermin from animal traps, which didnt seem to work.
Now i am having announcements, "xxx cancels release small creature,need empty trap" all the time.
Ive removed the cage and made an animal stockpile but neither seems to have helped.

any idea why this announcement keeps occuring?

Thanks!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2012, 12:52:54 pm »

Vermin can't be transported from cage to cage without being stored in an "animal trap". These can be either built out of wood at a carpenter's shop or at a metalsmith forge out of metal. Regardless of where you build it you will need a dwarf with the trapping labor available.

fluff79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2012, 12:56:57 pm »

thanks for explaining... but im still a bit confused because i thought the vermin i asked to be put in a cage were the ones sitting in animal traps already... ill double check but in the mean time ill make some empty traps. thanks a lot for the answer :)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2012, 01:06:32 pm »

The problem is that when you assign something in a cage to a new cage it actually generates two jobs. One to "release the creature" and one to "store creature in new cage". The first one takes the creature and either sticks it into a "free" cage if it's a large creature or into an animal trap if it's a vermin. The second actually transports the creature to the new built cage and sticks it in there. So you need at least 1 animal trap to transport vermin from cage to cage.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2012, 06:43:55 pm »

By the way, if you find yourself on a bad embark with nothing you need and lots of trees or stone, make boatloads of mugs. Traders love those things.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: New to this game, how to progress
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2012, 10:06:18 pm »

Here's an important tip. If you see a blue £ pillar, do NOT dig for it unless you have a big and very strong military. YOU WILL DIE.
Don't listen to him! These pillars give access to one of the best metals for military equipment you can get!
Believe neither of us or both, but even if you don't believe me...you'll always wonder what it could have been...and what Fun you might have achieved. Bwah-hah-hah!

On another, related note: Don't get so hung up on survival. If all you had to do was survive, you'd just wall your Starting Seven into your wagon, dig down, and set up a nice little plump helmet/pig tail farm(s) in the soil. Look for challenge. Dig into the bowels of the earth in search of metal, magma, and monsters! Tempt sieges by making a massive golden statue with ruby-window eyes, staring out at the horizon! Risk half of your fortress and most of your dwarves to test that new, possibly leaky drowning trap! Kill the elves! Kill the non-elven traders! Kill the worthless migrants! Kill the buzzards! Do anything you feel like--you won't suffer from any of it! Any way you want it, that's the way you need to do it!
EDIT: Apply this advice to ANYTHING other than DF at your own risk.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 10:10:48 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

fluff79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2012, 01:17:19 am »

hey thanks for all this great advice!

well now i have my miners digging exploratory tunnels at the lowest level i got to where i found some galena (the first and only metal ore ive found yet).  Hoping to find more seams of metal but so far not yet.  Will dig down again shortly.

i am having some trouble training a animals though.  ive read the wiki and another help site but im not sure what im doing wrong.  i think it may be because i am not producing a flow of meat which i guess the trainer would feed the animals when training them?
i bought a tame tiger (which hasnt worked yet) and now quite a lot of dogs, which i thought would be a bit quicker/easier perhaps.
ive set a trainer so his only task is training animals and allocated the animals to war training.
any ideas?
Ive read mixed things about kennels, are they functioning properly?
i also have zoned an animal training area.
The tiger is in a cage in a nearby animal stockpile and the dogs are in nearby cages installed not in a stock pile...

Half of my military have babies running around with them which is ... interesing

CodexDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • [SARCASTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2012, 12:54:30 pm »

Dwarves won't train animals if they are in a cage. Take them out of it. What I do is set the training zone as a pasture and put all the animals I want to train there.
Finely minced dwarven wine... what?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5