Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22

Author Topic: DrPoo's programming Jam, 100*C, a community project, that actually works.  (Read 42478 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile

So, we've got a side menu and a message box for displaying the tutorial: http://i.imgur.com/RLiXt.png (warning, large). What I now need to know is what tutorial messages we want and what triggers should be associated with it.

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Due to unreliability of Newnet , I propose we move the official 100*C Channel to the following :

irc.freenode.net , channel #100C

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile

Hey guys i finally realised i know batshit about Unity, or C#, at all. Im going through some few tutorials when i got time and will make a shitty game to wrap my mind around the thing. I saw a few other games made with Unity and that shit has potewntial beyond what i have imagined.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can get your tutorials straight from Microsoft themselves: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa288436(v=vs.71).aspx

As for Unity, most of the tutorials I've found don't cover all that much actually, it's a lot of hand-holding. I usually just google any questions I have and then look through the Unity Script Reference to find the functions I need.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games

Sorry for missing the meeting :( epic fail internets!!! What was disussed?
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It was just me, Mullet and Skyrunner. We didn't discuss much.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games

I'm back from my trip.

GalenEvil - The code you need just looks like this:
Code: [Select]
new MiningJob((int)x, (int)y, (int)z);You can also have a hauling job:
Code: [Select]
new HaulingJob(item, x, y, z);
Due to unreliability of Newnet, I propose we move the official 100*C Channel to the following :
irc.freenode.net , channel #100C
I'm fine with that.

By the way, I'm in the chat room now.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games

So that you all can see the awesomeness of both the terrain and my rocks of awesomeness!!! I present to you this picture!

Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Rocks look cool, but why does your terrain look like a bunch of seesaws?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Next step, texture them rocks!

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Rocks look cool, but why does your terrain look like a bunch of seesaws?

That is the entrance to his fort.... one way only.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 06:01:26 pm by Mullet Master »

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games

@Virex: The test was mostly to see if the rocks would flow down the terrain slopes properly, which they thankfully do. It was intentionally made into a herringbone pattern so that I could easily watch the rocks fall and change directions.

@Skyrunner: The rocks actually are textured already :D when they are created they are being assigned a random texture from a list of 3 possible ones.

@Mullet Master: Lol, yeah you could say that :D

My current project is to get appropriate terrain generated using cellular automata using a Quad-tree. Once I have single layer terrain created properly I will then work out how to transfer that into an Octree and create 3D terrrain. I have a prototype of the Quadtree structure laid out and am currently doing testing to see how viable it is to do full tree-leaf traversals to calculate the next steps in cellular automata using a 3,4-alive rule. The research is promising, and supposedly it can be done quickly for 3D terrain to create realistic cave structures.

Once my research phase is completed I will be able to hopefully create a full 3D terrain with only terrain pieces exposed to air (within a boundary) being instantiated and rendered.

Current researched information:
*  A quad tree with a layer depth of 10 produces a tree with 1024x1024 leaves and occupies approximately 50MB of RAM at initialization.
*  Using a Hashset to contain 1024x1024 Cells with a position value and alive/dead switch takes approximately 1.5 seconds per 5x5 section of cells being calculated per iteration and so would be prohibitively slow to use to appropriately generate terrain of any size
*  It takes approximately 3 seconds to generate the initial values and then count all members in a Quadtree with depth of 10 using a 1.5GHz dual core processor

Currently Researching:
*  Effectiveness of doing cellular automata calculations over the entire tree.

Theories:
*  Generation times for likely cave sizes will be sufficiently low to make this research worth the time to do it.

EDIT:
Just did some testing in Unity on an unrelated thing that I will need shortly after getting the above worked out. This thing is being able to turn the rendering of an object off,while still allowing it to be interacted with (physics, calculations, etc). This will allow me to instantiate the world while hiding (turning rendering off) of the objects that are not visible due to being surrounded by other terrain blocks. I should be able to tie this in also with the camera's view frustrum and make it so that objects within the view frustrum + 10-20% area and within a specific distance are rendered, and are hidden otherwise. This "should" allow me to have a rather expansive scene area without needing to actually view all of it at one time. It may require a large scene wrapper to keep track of all objects firstly within a specific distance of the camera and also a sublist of objects that are just within the frustrum + margin area that can be updated in a realistic amount of time. I would suggest a low resolution "map" that updates itself with distance data relative to the camera periodically and then if the the points are intersected by the frustrum then they are visible and if not then hidden.

I could probably word that better but I am about to go to bed and may not be able to get online tomorrow. I hope I can but not expecting to. If that is the case then I should be on Thursday, and then Friday and/or Saturday.

I will get started on dealing with the camera as soon as I get the terrain stuff (better rendering of objects, cave generation, etc) finished.

EDIT 2:
I should be able to provide more pictures the next time I am online consisting of the bulk of the work I have gotten done recently by Thursday or Friday at the latest :D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 02:10:11 am by GalenEvil »

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games

Concerning Edit #2 above: Did not manage to get around to making any nice pictures of my work. It's all still ascii-fied at the moment as data members but will be moving it into Unity on Sunday.

I will be in #CodeJam on NewNet tomorrow as soon as I can, which "should" be before the meeting is supposed to start. If we are to meet in another channel please post it in this thread so I know where to go.

Good news:
*  Other than getting it moved into Unity, my 3D Cave generator is pretty much working as it should. They are very windy caves right now but it is pretty damn fast for what I have it doing. Takes about a second to fully generate the information for a 32x32x32 (32,768) block cave.

Bad news:
*  If I were to move it all over as is to unity, without any render mesh culling then it would force my fps to drop to approximately 1-5fps which is not a reasonable amount under any circumstances. So actually getting it into unity will have to wait a little bit unless I make it into just a 8x8x8 (512) block which can be handled quite well.
*  Also bad news, though slightly less so, is that Unity's MonoDev IDE does not allow for Queue typed lists, which is bothersome since they are used rather heavily in the generation of the block maps for the caves. I will have to figure out another reasonable way to deal with it when I move it to Unity.

Next Up:
*  Need to get the blocks to recognize when they are completely enclosed and disable their renderer. And then make them recognize when they are exposed so they reenable the renderer. That by itself should save a few FPS once it works.
*  Occlusion Culling so that if something is completely hidden behind another object its renderer is disabled until a) the camera moves or b) the camera rotates. Not sure if both are needed entirely, likely yes though.

Hope to see people at the meeting tomorrow at the usual time!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

What time is 'usual'? I might be there, if just because I'm so lonely nowadays :(

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile

Im going on vacation guys. Useless stupid person #1 signing off.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22