Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22

Author Topic: DrPoo's programming Jam, 100*C, a community project, that actually works.  (Read 42504 times)

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games

Before committing changes for the Mine Carts Test delete the Library folder. When it is opened after getting pulled it will recreate the Library folder by itself and will prevent Library related conflicts. Also, today's meeting is now officially done! Huzzah for an unofficially 6 - 7 hour meeting!
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Today's 3d model : Forging Press
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile

That looks awesome! One point of critique is that those buttons feel a bit too modern for my taste though. Can you make it a dial or something?

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Added a few small handwheels and a gauge of sorts.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games

Server will be up on irc://irc.newnet.net/CodeJam for today's meeting: 18:00 GMT (2PM Central in the USA) until whenever people all leave for the night.

Still working on my update to the Mine Carts Test. Figured out what I have to do to make it run, turning things into HashSet<T> from List<T> currently and altering some code to make use of it. Trying to figure out how to get rid of int32 ID numbers entirely. Might only do that for Tracks though since for the TrackGroups it is easier to use IDs and I have code in place to reuse empty TrackGroup IDs but not for Tracks since it seems like it might be a pain in the rump to keep a "Destroyed Track ID" List populated. With a Track's neighbors now being referenced directly instead of by ID number, and with HashSet having a good .Contains(T) method, I should be able to convert Tracks over to a non-ID specific format that would allow for RAM-limited numbers of Tracks to be created at one time.

On to another section of interest then: Terrain Generation
I think that I can have a base data type for the Toxels (Textured Voxel Blocky things) soon. I am thinking about how to set up the generation of it though. I was thinking primarily that I could do things in this order: Initialization -> Basic Heightmap -> "Subterranean Cave Pockets" -> Water Erosion via precipitate* -> Terrain Smoothing -> Finalization.

*For the water erosion I was thinking of temporarily "breaking" each cube into like 1000 smaller cubes and do the erosion on that. Assuming each Cube is one cubic meter then each sub-Cube would be 10 cm x 10 cm x 10cm. Each sub-Cube would be made up of the same base material as the whole cube with said material's erosion resistance value. During the erosion cycle the precipitate would flow over the top layer first, erode a bit and form small channels that would direct the flow. More and more precipitate would flow through and erode a bit more each time.

This is what I was thinking of when I started writing up stuff on the idea:
Code: [Select]
Front view of precipitate erosion through a constant material type

Stage 1: Initial flow - No erosion has occurred and the material is unchanged from its original state
 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
| . . . . . . . . |
| . . . . . . . . |
| . . . . . . . . |
|_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ |

Stage 2: Slight erosion - A small channel is forming in the center along the flow path of the precipitate
 _ _ _ _   _ _ _ _
| . . . \_/. . . .|
| . . . . . . . . |
| . . . . . . . . |
|_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _|

Stage 3: Moderate erosion - The channel widens to accommodate the larger amount of flow being guided into the channel
 _ _ _       _ _ _
| . . \     / . . |
| . . . \_/. . . .|
| . . . . . . . . |
|_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _|

Stage 4: Deep erosion - enough flow has gone through the channel to create a chasm in the material, resulting in a sheer face
 _ _ _       _ _ _
| . . \     / . . |
| . . .|   |. . . |
| . . . \_/. . . .|
|_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _|

Those 4 stages are just the start of the erosion system that I dreamed about last night. Sub-Cubes will help this a bit because it takes a lot less flow to begin to deform a 10cm by 10cm by 10cm volume then it does to deform (by the same percentage) a 1m by 1m by 1m volume of material.

Im gonna get back to work on the Track stuffs but I'll check in again at least once before the meeting starts! If anyone has any ideas about this that wants to share them before the meeting please respond here so I can think of a snappy comeback by meeting time >.> heh (jk, probably, unless you are really abrasive then a witty remark is warranted :D)

EDIT!!!

Was just informed that I didn't ask for specific feedback about Terrain Generation so here goes:
1) Do you think this is a good approach to Terrain Generation in general?
2) What would you add/remove/change to make it better?
3) Any ideas to how I could go about making those subterranean cave pockets so they look natural without requiring water access through erosion?
4) Anything else that you can think of that might fit with the mechanics of Terrain Generation?

Okay, those are all the questions I can think of at the moment.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 02:24:38 pm by GalenEvil »
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games

Been busy with IRL stuff these last few days. Had a chance today though to work a bit on the compatibility conversions (almost done I swear), and also made a rough Heightmap generator that I need to tweak a little bit more for it to be really usable. Here's a sample of what it looks like:

ENJOY! Will post more when I get more stuff done!

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games

Server is up on irc://irc.newnet.net/CodeJam for today's meeting! Come on! :D

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile

Status of project?
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games

Pretty good. Galen is going strong on terrain, I have some decent job management and robot stuff, Virex has some good track stuff, and mulletmaster is doing well on some models for buildings. If you really want to know about the status, join the conferences. GalenEvil, mulletmaster, Uristqwerty, and I tend to be on there most times, especially in the evenings. What about you? Did you ever get around to making some UI?
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile

Pretty good. Galen is going strong on terrain, I have some decent job management and robot stuff, Virex has some good track stuff, and mulletmaster is doing well on some models for buildings. If you really want to know about the status, join the conferences. GalenEvil, mulletmaster, Uristqwerty, and I tend to be on there most times, especially in the evenings. What about you? Did you ever get around to making some UI?

Nope, i got a cluster more of exams and then my schedule(saturday aside, im going to Copenhell) is free like a bird.
Ill get around it.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

gunman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hi everyone i have just found this forum and i think i could help out on the coding side of things if need be but first could you answer a few questions i have.

1. What is the overall theme of the game and are you thinking of having any story if at all.
2. How many people do you have on the team currently and what are the roles or what do they do most of the time.
3. are you guys going to feature multiplayer on your game.
4. are you in need of any type of server to hold your documents (i.e. SVN, game server, etc) because my comp can be left on all hours of the day so up time wouldn't be a prob and i have a 1.5 TB hard drive and a very good hardwired connection to my modem.
5. how far in development are you on the game.
6. what engine or program are you using to write the code and do the modeling?

Thats all and if you could tell me the next time the irc is up, i would gladly answer any questions you have for me.

p.s. Sorry for asking so many long answer questions. I would just like to know as much about this project as i can because it seems very interesting from what i have read so far in the doc and thread.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 04:19:37 am by gunman »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

2. How many people do you have on the team currently and what are the roles or what do they do most of the time.

Current team consists of 3 core programmers and 1 modeler.
3. are you guys going to feature multiplayer on your game.

As far as I know, no.
4. are you in need of any type of server to hold your documents (i.e. SVN, game server, etc) because my comp can be left on all hours of the day so up time wouldn't be a prob and i have a 1.5 TB hard drive and a very good hardwired connection to my modem.

We're using Git with a google code repository. There's no need for dedicated storage.
5. how far in development are you on the game.

Pre-alpha stage

Programming is done in Unity. You would need to ask someone else about the modelling
Thats all and if you could tell me the next time the irc is up, i would gladly answer any questions you have for me.

Next conference is tonight, 20:00 GMT if I recall corectly, though I won't be on until 21:00.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Update: If you want to know more about the project, join us at  irc://irc.newnet.net/CodeJam.

Second update: Galen, you'll be happy to hear that Terminals are in :)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 04:32:08 pm by Virex »

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games

Just now getting access to the internet :( Lots of time was spent today taking care of random IRL crap for my parents. They know that I do the meetings on Saturdays, and this could easily have been a day project yesterday...

Oh, and you are right Virex, I am very happy to hear that Terminals are in ^,.,^
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 08:22:54 pm by GalenEvil »

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can use almost anything to get models into Unity.
I personally use Google Sketchup because it is very fast, but it is up to you. 3DStudiomax is the most common, but costs alot. Blender is used quite a bit because it is free, but the learning curve is about 100x that of sketchup.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22