Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 22

Author Topic: DrPoo's programming Jam, 100*C, a community project, that actually works.  (Read 42545 times)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have iron, steel, copper, and bronze, but what should their qualities be?
Let's see... In order of strength, it'd go copper<iron<bronze<steel, but in order of corrosion resistance it'd go iron/steel<copper/bronze. I'm not sure about differences between iron and steel or copper and bronze, though. If we were adding a few other metals, I'd say aluminum, brass, and galvanized steel would be good. Here's the breakdown of metals including those:

Strength: Copper<brass<aluminum<iron<bronze<steel/galvanized steel
Corrosion resistance: Iron/steel<copper/bronze/brass<aluminum/galvanized steel
Density: Aluminum<iron/steel<brass<bronze<copper

I'm reasonably certain this is accurate. It could be something along the lines of strength is beneficial for tools, corrosion resistance is beneficial for piping and boilers, and weight slows down the robots. Tool power would be based off of steam pressure and tool strength, while rusting will lead to robots needing maintenance. The strength of the metal forming the boiler and piping of the robot will increase the amount of steam power available, while corrosion resistance will increase the time the robot can be active without needing upkeep.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 05:42:15 pm by Araph »

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel

Just want to point out that Bronze is better then Iron strength wise.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah, my bad. Fixing that now.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel

No problem, most people think iron > bronze because of how the iron age comes after the bronze age. This actually happens because iron was easier to work with and more abundant.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile

@malloc: Awesome! Much better than mine, too. However, I have to say that I like Araph's better.

- Like I mentioned before, I don't like the backpack thing going on. It just looks... weird.
- I don't think there should be those spheres everywhere. I put spheres on my concept, but only for the places where ball joints were needed (shoulders and upper legs).
- Like mine, it looks too cartoony. Araph's looks more functional, and just generally cooler.
- I didn't expect to like the treads so much. Besides, treads will be easier to animate than legs, I think. (Or maybe not... I've never animated treads before.)

Also, I love how you guys have come up with the strength/corrosion/density thing for materials. That's an awesome game mechanic.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games

Just want to point out that Bronze is better then Iron strength wise.

I'll fix that now.

I have done a fair bit of work on tools and jobs. The tools can be made out of a material, which effects how much they speed up a robot doing that job. The weight also makes them move slower.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Second Draft of Robot (click to show/hide)
I changed the treads, shortened the arms, emphasized the steam tank, and tried giving pipes and pistons a bronze color. Also, i added a little vent on the back of the neck.

Regarding the name of the project: have we officially decided? 100° C? Mein Kraft? Pressure? Something else?

About the Google Code page: along with the project page comes a wiki to record game info. We probably should finalize the gameplay basics so that we can start putting pages up. Also, I, uh. I seem not be capable of telling who everyone is based on their email, so the 'Duties' line next to the email addresses is only half-filled out. If you're one of the three people who's Bay12 username I can't glean from your email, could you please PM me again?

Looking over the list of ideas on the Google Docs page, I think we can agree to nearly everything in the 'Pending Ideas' list; I personally have two questions. Are we having starship ports? It seems a bit too advanced for a colony of steam powered robots. Also, the trading and commerce section has humans involved. Is it that you need a human representative to negotiate? I didn't think this game was even going to have humans in it.

I have done a fair bit of work on tools and jobs. The tools can be made out of a material, which effects how much they speed up a robot doing that job. The weight also makes them move slower.
Awesome! Just out of curiosity, are you working on buildings along with tools and jobs? Or is that seperate?

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games

I think that trading and humans aren't going to be involved, and it is just left over from before.

For the name, my first choice would be 100° C. Second choice would be Pressure.

Awesome! Just out of curiosity, are you working on buildings along with tools and jobs? Or is that seperate?
No. I'm mostly done with tools and jobs for now, I haven't really done anything with buildings. This evening I'll work on items and hauling, and after that work a bit more on buildings.

I'm also on the IRC if anyone wants to discuss it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 08:27:56 pm by Kofthefens »
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games

How are changes in elevation going to be handled? Ramps only? Stairs? Elevators? All of the above?
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

malloc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

- I didn't expect to like the treads so much. Besides, treads will be easier to animate than legs, I think. (Or maybe not... I've never animated treads before.)
You obiviously never animated threads before. Threads are basically animated in two ways. Like a real thread, ei. you have some paths the animation follows. Or with a scrolling texture. Which looks silly.
Besides, legs are not that hard to animate, there is tons of reference on the internet.

- Like mine, it looks too cartoony. Araph's looks more functional, and just generally cooler.
I like cartoony very much, and will be very sad if we're not doing cartoony. It is a easy way to give character. Cool is a very subjective term..
Functional is not really an argument here, this is steam powered robots, which is already stretching what is physically possible. If we were going functional then nuclear powered cubes with power tools attached should be what were going for. Also, those are not backpacks but pressure tanks.

Btw, I will start working on regions today. So the terrain can be scaled up to more.. interesting sizes.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

I really like the logo and the name, but you guys do realise that water in a steamboiler is over 100C, right?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

not necessarily :/ it can all be at 100C, technically.

also imho cartoony style would be easier to do art for/present in general. my 2c.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile

I kind of thought the reason they are steamdriven is because that the colonists behind it were knocked back into a dark age by some Cataclysmic event. The intelligence could be precursor technology. Actually, part of the game could be about finding precursor technology. Like exacavating bronze giants and starship drives, etc.

This way we would keep the scifi hardness somewhat al dente.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Pranz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm in. It seems like you(we) focus too much on ideas to be honest? I think we should focus more on what is possible to do in a few months with us all working, and most important, set up a lead programmer. I believe we need someone who can have somwhat of a final word on things, maybe not on design but on structure of the project.

I can contribute with programming and music. I know java, C# and python. Most experienced with Java. Github is a good choice for sharing source code and resources, if there isn't a problem with having it open source?

I'm a schooled musician, piano is my primary instrument and I've been learning guitar in my spare time. I have a synth hooked up to my computer and make songs in FL studio.

100c sounds like a nice name, not so much for Pressure
DF Valentine
I punched a hamsterwoman in the mouth and her teeth exploded out of his head like gory shrapnel and littered the ground. Happy Valentines Day.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile

On a different note, I've slapped together a basic collision mesh for the physics of having a mine cart roll down a track. I'll be looking into track laying next. I was thinking of letting the player define the rails using B-splines or cat-splines so we get smooth tracks (Smooth tracks means less bouncing of the mine cart), but I'll have to figure out how to make this play nice with the voxels, because a naive implementation would end up with tracks that are half in one voxel and half in the other. After that I'll do some more work to optimize the mine cart physics, so moves and derails in a natural way.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 10:08:29 am by Virex »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 22