Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22

Author Topic: DrPoo's programming Jam, 100*C, a community project, that actually works.  (Read 42560 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel

You guys are way beyond my league, wow.
I dont even think i can help, im too stupid as a programmer to do this, i mean all that pathfinding stuff, the best i could do is a freaking menu or something stupid like that.
Now i feel like the stupid ideas guy. Could you guys kick me out?

Wow i am awful. I withdraw my own right to influence on this project.
   Hey now, don't do that. Sure they are all fancy with their path finding and their whatsits but have any of them talked about menus yet? Every programming project needs people of all levels of skill. Sure they could probably do some of the smaller things themselves but its probably better if people like you and me(I don't really know path finding either) do the small stuff. This will let them focus on the things they want to do.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile

I dont even think i can help, im too stupid as a programmer to do this, i mean all that pathfinding stuff, the best i could do is a freaking menu or something stupid like that.

Hey now, don't do that. Sure they are all fancy with their path finding and their whatsits but have any of them talked about menus yet? Every programming project needs people of all levels of skill. Sure they could probably do some of the smaller things themselves but its probably better if people like you and me(I don't really know path finding either) do the small stuff. This will let them focus on the things they want to do.

Your right, i guess. :P
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

malloc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay guys, I would have made some more progress today, but I accidentally deleted all code because I was tired. Apparently Unity means it when it says deleting assets is not reversible..

But don't panic. After the initial rage, I calmed down and reprogrammed the whole thing. Programming something a second time is way easier then the first.

So lesson learned, next time you are cleaning up assets in Unity, look at what you are deleting..

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i think maybe this is why there should be a repository?

malloc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah Twiggie, what would have saved me those three hours.

I will start up a repository a bit later today.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games

malloc seems way out of my league, and I'm one of the two main programmers. I didn't know pathfinding before, I had to teach myself. I'm not really that advanced.

@dreadmullet- for some reason the images don't load into Unity. It says 'Blender cannot convert the .blend file to FBX file' I can make something in blender on my computer (like a cube, about the extent of my skills with blender), and import it just fine.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i could probably do what malloc is doing, though i'd have to learn unity first, since i've only been working with XNA at uni.

and about the teaching yourself, i think thats mostly the point of the exercise, aside from making something cool.

ill be done with exams on the 17th, though how much time ill be able to devote will depend on whether i get this internship or not.

edit: kofthefens, can you not just export the .blend file to a more commonly used format first? i have no experience with either, but it seems the logical way to do it
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 11:23:26 am by Twiggie »

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games

Well, when I make a .blend on my computer, I can just import it into Unity. I'm not sure what changing the file type would do.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
My website - Free games

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well unity might not have supported .blend, whereas it most likely does support .tga, .png etc.

also isnt .fbx a 3d model file, as opposed to a texture?

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile

@Kofthefens: (I'm assuming you mean models instead of images?) That's really annoying. It worked when I tested it. There were some issues with importing .blend files in the past, with some obscure workaround. Like, you have to have Blender installed in a certain way in order to import files into Unity or something. What version of Blender are you using? Have you tried opening the .blends into blender and resaving them? Or exporting them as .FBXs? If nothing works, I'll reupload the .7z with .FBXs instead of .blends.

Useless peasant! :P But really, anyone can be useful. You could do the boring GUI work, because nobody likes making GUIs. Besides, none of us were crazy ambitious to start this project in the first place.

Also: I hate to say stuff like "someone needs to do X" because no one will end up doing it because they figure someone else will do it. But: we need a way to share files! And not over some shady file sharing site.

Alsoalso: IRC meeting in 40 minutes. There are too many unknowns about the game, and not enough solid concepts. We also need to distribute jobs so more people can finally get to work.

malloc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Heya guys, I don't know if i'll make it to the conference today. Soo don't expect me.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games

The meeting has started

EDIT:

We are adding relevant stuff to the Doc
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 03:55:14 pm by Kofthefens »

The epic of Îton Sákrith
My website - Free games

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Link to the Google Code project page: 100° C.

Also, we're tentatively using 100° C as our title. If you have a gmail account, I need to know the username to add you to the list of people working on the project.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

373K?

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games

my GMail name is GalenEvil.eve right now... my main account got hacked and now it's disabled :( so using my EVE Online gmail account to work on things :D
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22