Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22

Author Topic: DrPoo's programming Jam, 100*C, a community project, that actually works.  (Read 42520 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DrPoo's programming Jam, We got a game to make! :D
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2012, 11:29:23 pm »

Same as the above two, but I'd be willing to do some small story element writing, like descriptions of races, stories, or blurbs of factions, etc.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2012, 12:42:46 am »

I would like to help, but on a conditional no-livechat. My internet isn't strong enough to handle Skype or Teamspeak, and it takes hours to download a DF update :( BUT! I know Java and C++ to a degree and am really good with physics coding (at least in an abstract sense :P) So if you need it I can be a peon to deal with some of the coding aspects. I work hard when I am actually working for someone, and that might be why my personal coding projects tend to peter out at some point or another. Will have to split work with this between my work on my Battleship game but it shouldn't be an issue. The only thing that really gets in the way of my helping is the Skype stuff...

I think that the overall idea for Mein Kraft seems pretty good and I could use an actual collaborative game under my belt. I have an interest in engine design and can probably alter a 3D engine I am working on for use with a pure-2D or 2D/3D-design. I would just have to have a list of engine expectations and then get to work, if the intention is to work from the absolute ground up.

If we work with Unity then I will have to learn some extra stuff but am willing to do so. With Java I have enough books and extra documents that I can usually figure out how to do something in it within a day or so, so that isn't really that much of an issue either.

I would really like to be a part of this if at all possible, and should be able to provide near-bugless code if given a few days. I usually work on 3rd party utilities for games and I assume that the user is stupid so usually I code with worst case usage in mind.

Just give me something to do and expectations of what needs to be done and I can probably do it. Weekends are best for me since I don't do much on the farm on weekends and can spend most of my time playing with bits and bytes.

Send me a PM or let me know in here if you could use another coder,
GalenEvil
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2012, 07:08:07 am »

Hmm, we could host conferences using IRC in that case. Anyway, if you want to help out, feel free to put your name down in this document.

Anyway, it's time we start cutting some knots. I propose holding a conference tomorrow at 20:00 GMT (21:00 GMT+1, 14:00 GMT-6, 13:00 GMT-7 and I think that covers all time zones mentioned in this thread.)

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2012, 07:23:24 am »

Did a bit of work on the design doc.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2012, 08:18:12 pm »

Okay, yay!!! *is now much happier than already was today* (<-- that makes more sense in my head I think)

I am in GMT-6 but will probably not be able to get into a conference chat tomorrow as my mom is gonna be out of the house and I have to use her phone for my internet connection :( Oh well... will put up my name in the design doc with my quals and read over the changes after this post
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2012, 03:05:25 am »

Okay, yay!!! *is now much happier than already was today* (<-- that makes more sense in my head I think)

I am in GMT-6 but will probably not be able to get into a conference chat tomorrow as my mom is gonna be out of the house and I have to use her phone for my internet connection :( Oh well... will put up my name in the design doc with my quals and read over the changes after this post

How come you guys dont have a proper internet?
Im using my dads work uplink, its awesome, 20Mbit.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2012, 01:54:08 pm »

About that IRC conference...is it still going ahead? I should have posted that I thought it was a good idea. It's been over a week, and we've nary a pixel nor line of code to speak of.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2012, 02:05:13 pm »

Hmm, considering the amount of response we got, I kind of figured people weren't interested. If you want, join irc://irc.newnet.net/CodeJam

malloc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2012, 02:05:46 pm »

If someone starts an IRC conference up we will have an conference.
I have been doing some rapid learning of Unity and c# this weekend, and have created something which could very well be project related depending on how we agree the project should end up being like.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2012, 02:10:27 pm »

Just to check, you can find the room, right?

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2012, 05:44:32 pm »

So, there were a ton of ideas discussed on IRC. You're all awesome!

Virex compiled every gameplay mechanic idea at the end of the doc.

Malloc was sneakily working on a voxel engine in Unity. It looks pretty sweet:
Voxels! They will look smooth eventually.
This may be the perspective the game is viewed from.
Placeholder textures, I think.

I'm currently working on a mock-up in Blender that will show what the game may look like when it's done, roughly.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2012, 08:36:01 pm »

We don't have proper internet because we are too far out (about 1/4 mile) from the hardline internet service areas :'( and it will cost about 100USD per month just for me to get a decently good connection via Hughes Net. My parents don't use the internet very much and are happy to just use their phones for internet connectivity and so will not pay for the connection themselves. Also, since my job is essentially just working around the house at the moment I cannot afford to pay for the connection myself... epic sux :(

Those pictures look very tasty, and the textures look very nice for them just being placeholders :)

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2012, 08:47:47 pm »

Sorry, I was gone all day today, and didn't see the irc thing. I am still on board for the game, what did I miss?

In other news, I've been teaching myself some Unity and JavaScript. I will probably know enough to help out a bit in a day or two, maybe sooner.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 08:57:46 pm by Kofthefens »
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2012, 09:12:07 pm »

I love the game idea you all have going on; would it be possible for me to join the team? I'm fairly competent with a few Adobe programs (i.e. Illustrator and Photoshop), and I'm learning how to animate with Autodesk Maya, so I might be able to help with modeling and animating. I also can play guitar and I have access to a fairly good microphone (and Adobe Audition, which is convenient) if we need background music or anything.

And... yeah, I find out about this project the same day the conference happens, only directly after the conference ends. What happened at the conference? Were roles hashed out? Or was it more idea-oriented?

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2012, 10:11:28 pm »

The conference was mostly about solidifying game concepts and mechanics. Anyone who missed it didn't miss too much. Much of what we discussed was put on the last part of the design doc. We're still not completely done with the idea and concept part yet. No roles were really given, except the ones I last mentioned. The only actual work being done on the game at the moment is malloc's work on the voxel engine.

@Kofthefens: Awesome! However, I'm going to advise you to use C#. Not only is it a much better language, but also because it's the language we're using for this project.

@Araph: It's definitely not too late to join, welcome aboard! A dedicated 2D artist would be great. A huge majority of the game will be spent looking at rock and soil textures. A few nice, large, tileable textures would be awesome. I'm sure there will be tons of things to model as well.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22