Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22

Author Topic: DrPoo's programming Jam, 100*C, a community project, that actually works.  (Read 42496 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile

There's a server up on irc://irc.newnet.net/CodeJam for todays conference. Feel invited to drop by.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile

Shit sorry guys missed it again, for the third time.
Exams and obnixious/sick on a hospital family members and stuff :P Sorry.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games

That's all fine. I tend to be on most evenings (That's what, around 3:30 am GMT?), and I'm on now, so feel free to drop by.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games

Uploaded a new version of my code to the repo. Fixed some Track Removal errors by just rewriting that entire part and added some exception handling (which really shouldn't happen with the way that I have made things so far)

Still need to get Virex's code to interact with the manager though. Once that is done I can probably start getting to work on the Route finder and making that work the way that it needs to. Almost a non-issue at the moment, have most of the pseudocode for it already written down. Just need to get it to interact with my current data sets appropriately now :D

Adding in a Terminal/Terminus data object will be the first step to doing that, and making sure that when tracks are removed and separated into new Groups the Terminal/Terminus objects are moved with them. Then old, disconnected routes will need to be culled and any altered routes will need to be redone.

Let's see... anything else to report on since the topic has been dormant for 2 days?

I am also trying to figure out how to make some test code realize that it is running on a 64-bit operating system and work in a 64-bit process. I would also like to find out what all we still need in order to get an alpha version out: Graphics (I think I was told Malloc quit? So we either need his engine or a new one), Robot interactions, Buildings, Tracks and Track Interactions, and an AI to run the Robots and Carts?

One more thing:  How does everyone feel about, later on down the road, having an "enemy" Robot force crop up to act as competition for the Player's Robots? Something to autonomously make things of their own, possibly a trading partner, possibly out to just get to a bit or ore that we are trying to get to, stuff like that. If I am not needed for anything after the Track stuff and pathfinding bit, and everyone agrees that AI opponents would be an addition to the game, I could get started working on that between random projects/helping out people if needed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Everyone keep up the good work!! Let's keep working on this steadily!!
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games

Sorry I forgot to mention it before, but there is an IRC meeting right now. Please join.

Also, who is still working on this thing?
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
My website - Free games

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I got a bit waylaid with uni work, so I haven't been able to do anything. I'll try to chime in next week with results.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

I think I'll post to watch.

I can't chip in, because I don't know Unity/C#. I only know C++. :|

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games

It's all good, I didn't know Unity/C# before I started on the project. Only knew Java / C/C++ but C# is pretty easy to pick up.
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right, I made a start with integrating the track planning code into the actual track generation code, as there appeared to be no work on that going on. Right now, the track manager plays nicely with the actual track script, which is now a behavior script for the track section objects. However, in doing so, I had to break some parts of the track planning, so I or GalenEvil will have to patch that up next (also, Galen, I can see you're a C++ programmer :P )

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games

I am super busy this weekend. In another couple of weeks though, it'll be summer and I can work more on it.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
My website - Free games

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games

Virex, I guess I'll take a look at how broken the management system is tomorrow. Any hints on what you had to break to get it to work? Yeah, I do some C++ programming; not the best at it but I can cobble stuff together most of the time :D

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not too much actually. The Track generation now runs via the TrackFactory instead of the TrackManager so the TrackManager doesn't have to actually generate new Track objects any more, just register new ones. Other than that, I had to rip out the constructor of the Track object and replace it with a Start() function and subsequent assignment of the coord and rot vectors (I replaced the arrays you were using with vectors, they're easier in this case). Most of the changes in TrackManager, TrackGroup and TrackIterator are just hotfixes to make the code compile with these changes.

Also, I would urge you to take a look at the way you're handling IDs now. I don't really see the use of addressing track sections by integer IDs when we can just store references to the track sections themselves. Using IDs forces an extra lookup step. Also, if you need to store the track sections by ID somewhere, you should really use a hashset. Lookup in a list is O(N), while it's O(1) in a hashset.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games

I'll look into the hashset and storing references instead of IDs. If I can get rid of the IDs then that would possibly make it so that the hardcap of int32.MAX_VALUE no longer exists. At the time it seemed like the best solution to tracking everything since it made it so that I could get a prototype up and running, and I have never used hashsets so I didn't even consider them as an option. I'll do some playing with the code when I get up in the morning, as it's nearly 3am right now >.<

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games

Server is up on irc://irc.newnet.net/CodeJam for today's meeting! Come one come all!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For anyone wanting to use GIT to track the project, have a look at this: http://www.matthewfindlater.com/?tag=unity3d. We're now using metafiles to minimize the problems with synchronizing binary files. We're still kind of figuring out what we can and can't do, so if you have a conflict and are not sure how to resolve it, post it here or ask at the next meeting.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22