Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

Author Topic: DrPoo's programming Jam, 100*C, a community project, that actually works.  (Read 42477 times)

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile

Hi guys, i have seen quite few amazing things in this sub. I can do quite amazing things myself.
Lets get together brothers and sisters! Lets make a game! My idea is that we have many different people here.
Some are good at programming, some are at concept art, modelling or level design, some are at stories.
I find it very motivating to make some work, put it out where other people can grab it, wake up the next day to see it improved by another person.

If we work together, we communicate and we just dont leave things alone, if we are curious and motivated, then we can make something.

My idea would be that we have some sort of place to share the projects, like a shared dropbox or an FTP server somewhere, we work on things whenever we feel like, just make sure things progress day to day, we all idle in an IRC channel somewhere, so we can coordinate better.

Everyone can join this, as long as they got a talent beyond just being ideasguy, i mean, you should be able to make some sort of thing. We can't have pure ideas guys, i tried that in another project long ago, had like 3-4 ideas guys sit on my ass and tell me what to do, i hate that. You should be able to do more than fill up the todo list with ideas, you should be able to do some improvements so we can shrink it too, if you get what i mean, i dont want to sound rude.

A few things i think should be held in mind, in my opinion, im not the leader(there is none) or anything, but you know, my opinions:

We avoid cliche game elements, we avoid too many compromises.
We avoid overbalancing gameplay, we dont want a rocket launcher to be just as shit as a hand gun, people should use their minds while playing the game to "balance".
We avoid any domination, no body should have a word more than another. We are all friends and we shouldnt bicker, it harms the project and teamwork.
Open and awesome gameplay is essential, good storyline is low priorty, want a good story? Read a book or watch a movie.

NEEEEEEEEWS: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Nt2xJX72Y-2lSOiGYyI0at5Bg6O-UD9tiTJsnK-zzVs/edit
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 01:41:26 pm by DrPoo »
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

malloc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Problem with these community projects, is their notorious tendency to not be made. Unless there is a strong figure behind them, it wont get out of the idea phase, or even into implementation.

Having seems many rise and fall. I have only really seen one get completed. Here the author had a clear image and plan of what needed to be done, and how the finished product was supposed to look. Even more importantly, he was solely responsible for large chunks of the project. The end product was indeed an interesting example of crowd sourcing.
So yeah, while most of your directions for the project are fine, the uniform weighting of ideas won't work. One have to actually control the flow of ideas and implementation.

That said, *handrise*, I'm in, and I can do programming (It's actually what I do most of my wake time), and I can do some decent visuals.

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile

*raises hand tentatively* Count me in!

I am a programmer as well; I am quite confident with C#, and dabbling in C++. I've made most of a 2D engine using OpenGL.

I have a lot of experience with Blender. I'm fairly competent with modelling and texturing, as well as character rigging and stuff. Animation is really difficult for me.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Awesome guys! I can program a bit in C++, not much but i can fix a few bugs here and there and when theres a general framework of things i can begin to work on actual content.
I can also draw, i can sprite a bit too, but my graphics always looks silly in some sort of way or another. I can animate, atleast in 2d. The day i can afford proper recording equipment, i can do music too. I play guitar, mostly death metal but i also like to do theese atmospheric ambient pieces.

So i thought we could share some ideas, just three ideas in order of magnitude.

Team based space combat/industry game, think A New Zero, but with space stations instead of islands, space(of course) instead of the ocean and astroids/other things with gravity instead of those cliffs. Newtonian physics and a bit of gibs here and there, also space walking. It sound quite ambitious so it probably wont be something along this we are going to do. Instead of just doing cargo runs, you could tow in astroids into rock processing factories and stuff.

A multiplayer coop sidescrolling metroidvania with procedurally generated levels, also quite ambitious.

Astroids, but with overthinked everything.

I am going to keep myself with only three different ideas, i hate it myself when someone comes with a big list of all the games they would wish existed.

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile

I think it would be a good idea to make something really, really simple first. Like, literally just Asteroids. That way, we can make sure the whole process is working right. Kind of like how making a "Hello, world!" program allows you to make sure everything is working right.

Once we get a test game finished, we can start on the real game. Here are some of my ideas:

- Minecarts! Minecarts are awesome. Imagine an isometric view where you can place minecart tracks, with turns and ramps and stuff. There are doors and junctions that can be linked to pressure plates and levers. Oh yeah, and minecart derailings and collisions. Just make some sort of minecart sandbox, and if it's fun to play around with, make a game out of it.

- Unicycles! Unicycles are awesome. A side-on view of a person on a unicycle, you use two buttons to lean forward and back, and two buttons to pedal forward and back, spacebar to jump. Perhaps a level editor with ramps and loops and whatnot.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think it would be a good idea to make something really, really simple first. Like, literally just Asteroids. That way, we can make sure the whole process is working right. Kind of like how making a "Hello, world!" program allows you to make sure everything is working right.

Once we get a test game finished, we can start on the real game. Here are some of my ideas:

- Minecarts! Minecarts are awesome. Imagine an isometric view where you can place minecart tracks, with turns and ramps and stuff. There are doors and junctions that can be linked to pressure plates and levers. Oh yeah, and minecart derailings and collisions. Just make some sort of minecart sandbox, and if it's fun to play around with, make a game out of it.

- Unicycles! Unicycles are awesome. A side-on view of a person on a unicycle, you use two buttons to lean forward and back, and two buttons to pedal forward and back, spacebar to jump. Perhaps a level editor with ramps and loops and whatnot.

Your right. I was just thought it would be good to get those off my head so the simple ideas could come instead.

Astroids,

Some platformer,

Something a bit beyond simple, like a tower defense thing, i hate them personally but i guess it would be good practice.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In! I can't program, but I have some shit-crazy ideas and can do basic maps. In paint.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile

I can do a tiny but of art, and possibly some programming.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Awesome!

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games

I'm pretty good at Python, and halfway-decent at Java. I can get around in Blender okay, but I'm no pro at it. I'd be happy to contribute however.

For the game, how about it's the game Ender plays (while actually controlling the human fleets). There could be some good strategy in there.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm pretty good at Python, and halfway-decent at Java. I can get around in Blender okay, but I'm no pro at it. I'd be happy to contribute however.

For the game, how about it's the game Ender plays (while actually controlling the human fleets). There could be some good strategy in there.

Ender plays?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile

I'm proficient with Java, Matlab and Common Lisp, but the language we pick shouldn't matter too much for me, I should be able to pick it up fairly quickly.

Actually, some sort of mine simulator could be interesting. Feed and provide housing for your workers, buy equipment, build elevators and tracks for the mine carts. As you go deeper, you have to take flooding and ventilation into account. There could be horrible things lurking in the deep, but you're willing to face them all FOR GLORIOUS PROFITS!

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile

Ender plays?

It's from the book Ender's Game. Imagine you're looking at a hologram of a huge 3D space battle. There are tons and tons of ships of different sizes flying in formations. The only thing you can do is tell the ships what to do, like where to move and stuff.

I think it's a good idea, but developing the AI for the ships would be a huuuuuuge task.

@Virex: Sounds like a solid, doable game, but... it just doesn't sound fun to play. All the player would be doing is gathering ore. Even with cave-ins, flooding, and a little bit of minecart physics, I don't think it would be fun.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm proficient with Java, Matlab and Common Lisp, but the language we pick shouldn't matter too much for me, I should be able to pick it up fairly quickly.

Actually, some sort of mine simulator could be interesting. Feed and provide housing for your workers, buy equipment, build elevators and tracks for the mine carts. As you go deeper, you have to take flooding and ventilation into account. There could be horrible things lurking in the deep, but you're willing to face them all FOR GLORIOUS PROFITS!

That sounds AWESOME if you ask me, but then it would have to be about industry in general. Like a Dwarf Fortress, but with steam driven rusty robots instead of dwarves.

I had an idea, team based sidescrolling platformer(think soldat) deathmatch game revolving around !!INDUSTRY!!, some players mine, other players build, again another bunch of players haul the resources to the different factories and faccilities, flying finished goods into orbit to transfer to an orbital trading station to earn profit for the corporation, another bunch of players does Research and Development, wich is basically levelling up technology, testing it for errors, if it goes defect, scan it and figure out the error, etc. etc. etc. While other players do the combat stuff, sabotage and invasion.

Story driven low-poly first person adventure game, with alot of physics and !!ANCIENT TECHNOLOGY!!, !!SCIENCE!! and !!LASERS!! to deal with. Think Penumbra, but with low poly graphics, and rogue robots and machinery instead of eldritch horrors.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile

thisthisthisthis.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22