Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: So... Is it bad that my mother thinks I am a psycopath / sociopath?  (Read 7453 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: So... Is it bad that my mother thinks I am a psycopath / sociopath?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 05:57:00 am »

Dexter became a really bad show and anyone who would get the reference is trying to forget it.

I agree in the sense that there were two seasons so far which really sucked (the one with the girl psychopath and the one with the Mexican killer cop) but right now it's back to being awesome.

The only thing more awesome than Dexter is the word awesome. Awesome is awesome. That is also a reference, this time to some youtube guy teaching history.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2012, 05:59:06 am »

Funfact, my friend calls me Dexter, but he's still indecisive if it's Dexter the boy genious or because of Dexter the psychopath :>
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2012, 06:02:10 am »

Ah, that reminds me of the second thing more awesome than Dexter the psychopath. Dexter the genius of course. I've had dozens of fantasies of being Dexter (the kid) and killing Deedee in various ways. God, she was annoying.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2012, 06:09:25 am »

Dexter became a really bad show and anyone who would get the reference is trying to forget it.

Dexter is awesome.

It had good moments and season 1 and 4 were pretty solid, but then the writers basically had no idea what to do so the show became a garbled mess.  Like House, like Heroes, like LOST, the people making the show lost track of what made the show good and began flailing for ideas, while simultaneously stagnating by eliminating any repercussions to actions that should otherwise be total gamechangers.  I could go on, but Dexter just isn't a good show at all at this point.

Edit:  Remember that thing where Dexter straight up
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 06:13:16 am by Capntastic »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2012, 07:27:06 am »

When stuff like that happens in shows I like, I just pretend it never happened and only the good stuff really exists. No need to throw the whole show in the trash, just parts of it.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2012, 07:27:44 am »

They're just douchebags,
I resent that.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2012, 11:43:44 am »

Anti-Social Personality Disorder is just a checklist for criminality. It's a joke of a condition and should be stripped from all medical and psychological journals.

The Factor-1 criteria for Hare's Psychopathy Checklist stand up much better in terms of a "Psychopathic personality": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hare_Psychopathy_Checklist:

Factor 1: Personality
Glibness/superficial charm
Grandiose sense of self-worth
Pathological lying
Cunning/manipulative
Lack of remorse or guilt
Shallow affect (genuine emotion is short-lived and egocentric)
Callousness; lack of empathy
Failure to accept responsibility for own actions

Whilst it's said a psychopath will score high in factor 1 and factor 2, I'd still say that's trying to conflate criminality with personality and really criminality and personality (psychopathy vs criminality) should be considered two separate concepts entirely with merely some correlation.

I'll admit I still dislike some aspects of Factor 1. "superficial charm" is different from regular charm how exactly? Is it superficial because they aren't expressing their real feelings? But isn't that just more signs of pathological lying? And if it's superficial because it's "the tendency to be smooth, engaging, charming, slick, and verbally facile"...isn't that just called, ya know: Charm?

If someone likes you, they'll say you're charming. If they don't, they'll say you're glib. It's too subjective to take seriously as a criteria.

So yeah, some of these concepts seem stupid to me but still...it's like how is a lack of guilt any different to a lack of fear? Guilt is often just a fear you'll be caught and suffer punishment, is it not? Can anybody define a real difference between the two? A lot of the things I read, it seems like people are trying to describe something when they don't understand what they are trying to say it's different from.

The research is faulty, the concepts are broken and as such any understanding or meaning is found wanting.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 12:01:23 pm by MorleyDev »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2012, 11:57:56 am »

Guilt is just a fear you'll be caught and suffer punishment, is it not?
Um, no? Not at all?

Guilt is remorse. Regretting actions due to the consequences (and not necessarily the consequences that affect oneself) and/or no longer thinking the motivations justified. Has nothing to do with getting caught, since guilt is obviously possible after facing the full consequences.

Though yes I also think the normal classifications are silly. If I want to get specific on this topic I just classify by empathy (for none, for everyone, and everywhere inbetween). Being a manipulative sadistic jackass is not inherent to not caring about other people.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2012, 12:01:06 pm »

Has nothing to do with getting caught, since guilt is obviously possible after facing the full consequences.

So worry you haven't faced the full consequences and they'll be more, that what you've done will still have unpleasant social impacts you'll have to deal with for time to come? Or that you're "damned" somehow (if you believe in such a thing) as a result of your actions?

Actually some things like this happen in the books too. He strays from the code a lot. The point of the code isn't supposed to be "right or wrong", it's "feed your urges and don't get caught". The show lost it's way because it keeps forgetting this.

Dexter was never supposed to be a good guy, or in complete control of himself. There's that brilliant scene in the book where he's compelled, despite not having done his research or prepared properly, to go and kill someone. He tries to control it but he isn't in the driving seat any more, his wants and needs are and someone will die that night. He just has to steer himself to not doing it in too stupid a way.

The show just forgot it was dealing with a "psychopath with homicidal urges" and started treating Dexter as a "schizoid with homicidal urges" somewhere during the second season. I still watch it, but it's lost a lot of appeal for me. I don't want to watch Dexter become a real boy.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 12:03:15 pm by MorleyDev »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2012, 12:08:35 pm »

I very much doubt the OP is a sociopath.  The mere fact that he seems offended by his mother's treatment indicates that he places intrinsic value in  his relationships with other people.  What seems far more likely is that he is what psychologists call a "teenager".  The teenage sense of empathy is less well developed which completely explains the OP's affinity for antisocial behavior and his belief in his own psychopathy.  The good news is that nearly 100% of persons suffering from teenagerism make a full recovery over a 10 year period.

I don't want to watch Dexter become a real boy.

I'm very much on the fence on this point myself.  While I don't want him to be Mary Sue'd, I do like character development.  I can see justification for the ways the character has evolved, I am just worried that he could grow into something stale.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2012, 12:31:10 pm »

Has nothing to do with getting caught, since guilt is obviously possible after facing the full consequences.

So worry you haven't faced the full consequences and they'll be more, that what you've done will still have unpleasant social impacts you'll have to deal with for time to come? Or that you're "damned" somehow (if you believe in such a thing) as a result of your actions?
The best way to put it I guess is that guilt IS a consequence. It has nothing to do with further consequences like social pressures or damnation or anything like that. It is a negative emotion stemming from regret of previous actions. It is a pain, not the fear of other pains.

EDIT: This is sort of like explaining what salt tastes like so I'll just give a hypothetical example.

Atheist, rich guy, lied murdered and stole to get there.
Free of all possible consequences for whatever reason; all suspicion gone, no chance of people finding out, etc.
Previous actions haunt him, perhaps even to the point of using his wealth to "make up for it" or turning himself in.

That is guilt.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 12:35:31 pm by kaijyuu »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2012, 12:36:13 pm »

The best way to put it I guess is that guilt IS a consequence.
Nicely said.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2012, 01:40:46 am »

I can say that I do not feel guilt about the things that I do, and I don't fear consequences in any way. People do as I ask and when they don't I make them regret it eventually... spiteful I am, probably. If I get into any sort of trouble I talk my way out of it as best I can and that usually works quite nicely. Violence isn't necessary, but not a forbidden reaction, in most circumstances and there have been times when it has come to it, including when guns were pulled on me...

I am happy to see that this essentially became ITT Dexter discussion. I could probably make some correlation between myself and Dexter, but I am much too tired. Killing little animals will do that to ya tho >.>

GalenEvil
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2012, 01:51:37 am »

Most sociopaths are not murderers anyhow in the same way the vast majority of psychopaths are not murders.

Also a psychopath isn't something close to what you would be as a psychopath has a psychosis. What is your psychosis? that your a jerk? That at most would be a Neurosis.

Unless of course you had no mother... in which case yes... you are a huge psychopath.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2012, 01:54:36 am »

I really doubt you're a sociopath. I think it sounds more like you're just wanting to project yourself as a sociopath because it seems 'cool' and you have an idea that it would make you seem intimidating and/or enigmatic.

Truth is, I doubt a real sociopath would go on an internet forum and proclaim themselves to be such. In fact, I suspect most people who are true sociopaths don't actually understand that they're sociopaths and probably believe that their perception of the world is the more normal one.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5