Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: So... Is it bad that my mother thinks I am a psycopath / sociopath?  (Read 7427 times)

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games

I am not really sure, but whenever my mother starts to say something to me that would be, in a more "normal" person, heartfelt and compassionate and generally elicits sympathy and such she says it then looks at me and literally waits for me to start laughing... and I am supposed to be the more normally adjusted one in the family! WTF?

This is not a troll post, just to let everyone here know... not sure how well adjusted ANYONE on here actually is though... considering what we play.

My mother knows that I am a jerk to people on the internet, and that I have probably one of the most twisted senses of humor in the family, but really does that give her good reason to expect me to laugh at things that would make a "normal" (I use the term normal loosely) person cry, or feel sad, or in general give themselves to sympathy and empathy?

GalenEvil
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
Re: So... Is it bad that my mother thinks I am a psycopath / sociopath?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 04:11:41 am »

You could just say something along the lines: "That's not funny, mom".
Problem solved?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 04:13:41 am by Liber celi »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 04:16:41 am »

Is she wrong?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 04:52:16 am »

Probably should have said something like that.... but no, she's not wrong. I just think that it's a bit wrong that my mom suspects me of being sociopathic in nature... >.>

GalenEvil

PS. Much more direct answers than I have gotten on my other forum where I asked the same question... sorta saddening actually, but expected since they all think of things in very scientific/clinical manners
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 05:05:28 am »

Bay12Games is generally a nice, very accepting community.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 05:14:26 am »

You will never get rid of your dark passenger.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 05:21:13 am »

Indeed. If you murder him, you'll become just like him.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 05:24:59 am »

Well her being your mother means that she probably knows you better than most people, and if she's right in assuming that you are slightly on the loony side how exactly is she in the wrong then?

And yeah, having a dark side can be nice sometimes, especially when you need to bring out your A-game crazy stare to scare someone/something away >:3
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 05:31:35 am »

Well, Wikipedia cites 3 sources here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy

The criteria of what it takes to be considered a sociopath can apply to 50-80% of all males since it's so broad.

I'd think that fact that you're annoyed that they think you have no empathy for others does speak a bit in your favor, though being a jerk to others on the internet isn't something I'd encourage people to do.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 05:33:28 am »

As long as you don't actively hurt others, who gives a fuck?

Worked marvelously for me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 05:37:57 am »

The criteria of what it takes to be considered a sociopath can apply to 50-80% of all males since it's so broad.
Male inmates. Not every male is incarcerated.

A total lack of empathy isn't all that rare iirc (~1% of the population). And of note, such people can be productive members of society, at least outside of human interaction. They're just douchebags, not the serial killers you see in movies.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 05:43:26 am »

Embrace the darkness.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 05:50:03 am »

Oh come on, did nobody get my Dexter reference? I'm disappointed in you guys :V

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 05:51:19 am »

Dexter became a really bad show and anyone who would get the reference is trying to forget it.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 05:54:06 am »

Dexter became a really bad show and anyone who would get the reference is trying to forget it.

Dexter is awesome.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5