Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Toady is on a roll with the recent updates!  (Read 2233 times)

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
Toady is on a roll with the recent updates!
« on: April 13, 2012, 12:53:50 am »

I thought I'd make a post on how much Toady seems to be getting done, and how awesome it is.

I haven't been on the forum all that long, but I've been on a while. the last few releases seem to be both major and effective. Its as if a Rubix Cube has entered its second layer.

The cities and improved world gen made adventure mode simply delightful, and increased its complexity and challenge immensely.

The vampires and necromancers etc opened up many possibilities for modders, and people who like to make messes (such as I). The update also made terrifying biomes terrifying again, which is a bonus.

The clothing fix made an entire industry useful again, while improving fps (possibly), and not having naked dwarves running around in an otherwise prosperous fortress is another bonus. 

Finally, the minecarts and upcoming hauling improvements will allow for more creative approaches to industry, and warfare. Its great to have a more deadly and rewarding aspect to goods production. These additions also help us suspend disbelief more effectively, and think more highly of our dwarves (I lose my respect for the legendary weapon-smith when I see him make several trips for some seeds.)

The hauling improvements also allow for a more straightforward reclaim, as the cleanup of scattered goods can actually be efficient. Reclaim has been a major component of this game since its beginning, and improving hauling in this manner makes reclaim more rewarding, and less frustrating.

Good going, Tarn, and keep it up!

« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 06:10:50 pm by Cellmonk »

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Toady1 is on a roll!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 03:02:15 am »

Not a suggestion.
There are other places for this.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 03:11:13 am »

Alright, i had a feeling it was a bad place to put it. where should I move it to?

Edit: how do I move a topic again? i know I've done this before...

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 03:16:34 am »

I can't seem to find a way to move this topic, so I guess I'll change it into a suggestion. Let me see how to do that.

EDIT: never mind. moving is probably a better idea.

EDIT2: Here's a part of that essay I was writing in an attempt to not waste a post, anyways:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 06:17:35 pm by Cellmonk »

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: On the Relative Importance of Features
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 05:16:57 am »

There should be a "move" buton in the same bar as the "reply" one is. Try moving it to the general discussion board.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On the Relative Importance of Features
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 06:14:39 pm »

There should be a "move" buton in the same bar as the "reply" one is. Try moving it to the general discussion board.

Thanks! I've been on this forum for a while, but I've never gotten used to its functions, nor grasped its normative behavior. :P

that's probably not a good thing, seeing the the loose standards for normative behavior that exist...