Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The one, sole reason I tolerate elves at all.  (Read 9039 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: The one, sole reason I tolerate elves at all.
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2012, 06:22:14 pm »

Of course, half of what they bring is crap you don't need, but honestly I find elves better trading partners than humans.

Yep. Elves are better than humans now. (Their clothes fit, too, and now that your dwarves need clothes...)

You really have to play forts in .40d to develop a proper hatred of elves. This talk now, it's just habit. :D

Some of the DF2010 versions also had the diplomat. And I just realised that elf rope reed cloth is now a desirable thing, and that is somethin I never thought I'd say.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Captain Crazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2012, 06:30:42 pm »

Humans are really the weakest link here. Elves have good booze, dwarfs don't bring much but are your brethren, but humans are just sort've useless.
I usually think of Armok as the pure essence of FUCK YOU!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2012, 06:35:44 pm »

The only thing I can think of buying from the humans is weapons and armor to be melted down.

Once you become a mountainhome and are no longer able to request what you want the caravan to bring, I'd go so far as to say the elves are the most useful trading partners.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2012, 07:18:03 pm »

The elves are indeed good garbage disposals and important for bringing exotic beasts (I even made all giant animals and a lot of others war animals, so they're pretty important to me.)

Their main use though is wood and cloth, because I don't let woodcutters outside much with goblins around so I almost always have a massive supply available and my farmers are about as quick as a giant tortoise with two broken legs when I want them to actually produce cloth of any variety.

That said, they still get the axe/magma/magma-powered axe when they piss me off, which is fairly common with their hypocritical phobia of wood products. And they tend to bump into goblins, which I never bother to defend them from.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2012, 07:23:58 pm »

I dunno. Elves provide you with big beasties and sun berries (also rope reeds if you don't have them yourself).
Dwarves provide you with what you request.

But the humans I've had have consistently brought me metal bars, wood and every time they've showed up at least half a dozen anvils which is invaluable on an iron-less but marble-mining fortress. The humans also bring stuff I can melt down, as well as the rope reed the elves bring.

And they tend to have a lot of different fish, but that's not really very essential.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2012, 07:47:37 pm »

I do occasionally get the idea to outfit certain squads with flails or morningstars, and humans are good for that. Otherwise... well, maybe they'll start sending merchant guild leaders again someday? They do also bring metal and wood which is appreciated.

Alidus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2012, 08:08:40 pm »

Elves basically saved my fortress once by bringing lots of great booze and leather when I really needed it most after a series of unfortunate incidents and nearly a tantrum spiral. It took the stuff that the elves brought and rushing to make a pumpstack waterfall and forcing every dwarf in the fort to walk under it to go anywhere to save the fort pretty much.

I don't mind elves at all.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2012, 06:19:53 am »

Leather? Elves don't usually have leather.
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2012, 02:40:37 am »

I'm sure he meant animals.

Delicious animals.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2012, 02:42:39 am »

Delicious animals.

I hate you dwarves, you just go and "hmm, I want meat, im gonna go see the butcher", we have to actually kill the animal in a fight, or eat bones of elves we killed in sieges. Bones are too crunchy.....
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2012, 02:50:55 am »

I hate you dwarves, you just go and "hmm, I want meat, im gonna go see the butcher", we have to actually kill the animal in a fight, or eat bones of elves we killed in sieges. Bones are too crunchy.....
I hate you Kobolds, you just go and "hmm, I want socks, im gonna go see the Dwarves", we actually have to work hard for our pig tails, or seize them from entire civilizations. And dammit there are so many Elves....

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2012, 02:53:03 am »

I hate you Kobolds, you just go and "hmm, I want socks, im gonna go see the Dwarves", we actually have to work hard for our pig tails, or seize them from entire civilizations. And dammit there are so many Elves....

This is a elf. Red is a kobold, height diffrence, we cant just hunt elves. And we cant make anything, so thats why we steal.

AND YOU CAN GET UP TO 100 SOCKS WORTH OF PIGTAILS IN ONE SEASON!

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
- -
- -
- -
- -
- -
- -
- -
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2012, 02:53:55 am »

Delicious animals.

Well that's just ridiculous. A dwarf does not simply "go to the butcher" if he wants meat. He has to walk ALL the way to the overflowing food stockpile, haul that big, succulent masterwork roast to the legendary dining room WITHOUT dropping it, and then take time out of his busy schedule actually EATING the thing.

The life of a dwarf is a rough and ruthless one, but somehow the little troopers manage to pull through each day.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2012, 02:56:18 am »

Delicious animals.

Well that's just ridiculous. A dwarf does not simply "go to the butcher" if he wants meat. He has to walk ALL the way to the overflowing food stockpile, haul that big, succulent masterwork roast to the legendary dining room WITHOUT dropping it, and then take time out of his busy schedule actually EATING the thing.

The life of a dwarf is a rough and ruthless one, but somehow the little troopers manage to pull through each day.

The life of a kobold.

1.Wake up
2.Run from a rabbit, which is almost bigger then us.
3.Feed the 8-12 pups.
4.Run from a carp
5.Elves attack, so go on a marathon
6.If a thief, probaly get mauled by elves, then have to go to a dwarven fort to get water, who then gets mauled again.
7.Die, or sleep and repeat.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2012, 02:59:40 am »

The life of a Dwarf:

1. Avoid death
2. Avoid the overseer
3. Acquire Alcohol
4. Work
5. Step 3
6. Repeat

AND YOU CAN GET UP TO 100 SOCKS WORTH OF PIGTAILS IN ONE SEASON!

But if I made socks with all of those pig tails, how would I make my red cloaks?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4