Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Janitor (upgrade/improve the cleaning job)  (Read 6632 times)

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Janitor (upgrade/improve the cleaning job)
« on: April 12, 2012, 06:30:18 pm »

Currently dwarves are very messy... I don't know if this is by design or just something which is planned to be addressed later.  The dwarves do have the 'cleaning' task as an option, but this is something which is only performed in areas which have lots of traffic.  As a result forts will have stains(usually blood) on the floors, items, clothing, pets, and themselves.  It's troubling to see 20 idle dwarves when most are configured for cleaning yet the fort is cluttered with blood stains, unpackaged meat and clothing(mostly old). 
   *blood stains... for some reasons this stuff never fades away... it's like eternal slime.
   *unpackaged meat... plenty of barrels and pots yet the meat is left sitting on the stockpile floor.
   *clothing... cabinets usually help, but lots of clothing is scattered all over the fort.  The dwarves are slobs.

The suggestion for a janitor job would improve the existing cleaning job in the following aspects:
  1) The dwarf janitor will always carry the following items:
        a) a bucket of water (there's always a couple scattered around the fort)
        b) a bag with soap (currently not available, which would hold a couple bars)
        c) a couple pieces of cloth (for scrubbing away stains)
        d) disposably, waxed, full-length protective cloth/leather gloves so janitors don't catch diseases they're trying to prevent when cleaning the fortress. {Suggested by tsen)

2) The dwarf janitors top priority would be cleaning stains such as blood for sanitary reasons and would target high traffic areas first.  Cleaning stains such as blood is the number 1 priority because it can spread diseases.  Cleaning the blood from pets, animals and people could also be done.

3) The dwarf janitors second priority would be verifying all good food, meat, etc., is properly placed into containers to save food before it turns bad.

4) The dwarf janitors third priority would be throwing away any rotten food, corpses or body parts and if no refuse stockpile is available then moving them outside except for friendly corpses which are handled by the burial task. 

5) The dwarf janitors fourth priority would be assembling all single bolts into a new stack.  After a siege and some animal men an outside fortress is cluttered with hundreds of single bolts.  If the janitor job could combine the single bolts it would save lots of time and micromanagement.   *NEW*

6) The dwarf janitors last priority would be moving all clothes on the floors to better suited locations.
        a) owned clothing would be moved to either the bedroom of the owner and if one does not exist then moving the owned clothing to the dormitory or barracks... ideally a cabinet.
        b) new unowned clothing would be moved to a stockpile.
        c) unusable clothing would be collected and moved to the garbage zone.

This improved job would remove the pains of seeing a messy fortress which has 20 idle dwarves with the cleaning task.  I would give the best room and office in my fortress to the dwarf which would keep the place clean.   Other cleaning ideas to add for the janitor job are welcome.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 11:54:11 am by NTJedi »

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Janitor (upgrade/improve the cleaning job)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 07:19:02 pm »

These dwarves would 100% need the possibility of disposably, waxed, full-length protective cloth/leather gloves so that their hands didn't melt off from syndromes.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 07:50:56 pm »

I would have the miasma generators cleaned away before non-toxic liquids.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 10:05:20 pm »

Blood stains are worse than you think - they used to spread every time someone stepped in the blood (and nobody avoided blood), and the blood tracks would get other people's feet bloody, and would spread from there, and so on until your entire fort was covered in blood stains that would never be cleaned.  See Bug #296.

Toady just prevented them from being tracked, but that's a known bug from back in 2010.  Ever since 0.31, the "mopping" functionality was supposed to have already been in the game, and it's just not been done yet, but it's something that Toady already means to do.

The meat should be put in barrels, and when it is packed in barrels, it won't rot.

Clothing is generally owned property, which is basically the problem - nobody but the owner is allowed to touch owned property. 

With that said, dwarves used to put their clothes into their dressers, but they don't really do it anymore.  It's something of a lost functionality, but it's something that Toady will eventually get back to doing again, so again, that's not something to suggest.

Anyway, much of these functions are basically already the functions of the basic hauler.  A dedicated "carry a bucket and soap with you and clean the floors" labor could be advisable, but leaving the hauling of items as a separate labor to be separately enabled would be best.  If you want a total package dwarf maid that cleans up everyone else's clothes in between mopping the floors, you can just keep all those basic hauling labors enabled, as well.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 11:05:53 pm »

If there's a dwarf janitor, there should also be the option of having them cleaning areas you designate for cleaningy versus automatically seeking blood. this would also allow for the removal of mud from areas it is NOT needed. Hospitals should also be high on their list for sanitation.

The wax gloves is a good idea. that and waxed legs, as not to get toxic waste on their hairs.

Maynot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 12:11:24 am »

I have noticed that my hospital area does get cleaned rather quickly.  I just wish the same thing happened for my indoor dwarf shower which is awash with gallons of blood that self replicates itself when a dwarf walks through.  Some of this stuff should dry over time, decay, or at least not collect on clothing after a point.
I play games of games inside games in my head.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 07:37:31 am »

hell, I'd be happy if there was a clean tile designation.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 07:47:39 am »

Patch notes for 34.08:

- Added a noble function called the janitor and the new hazmat suit to the clothery.

8)

Urist Flynn demands a bigger broom closet.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

ravaught

• Bay Watcher
  • Anybody seen mah beer?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 10:54:38 am »

I think the janitor idea is cool, which could also give rise to a new noble position, Chief Steward. As far as the priorities go, I would rather see a priorities option that was configurable by the player, where they could set jobs/designate areas where the activities within their scope would get the job assignments sorted. I don't think that is exactly a trivial issue though.
..because making sense and having FUN are not mutually exclusive.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 11:56:25 am »

Updated:  Added suggestion for Janitor to combine single bolts into new stack.  The tasks listed above would easily keep the Janitor busy full time within any fort.   Anyways the combining of single bolts would really help us.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 12:08:50 pm »

Updated:  Added suggestion for Janitor to combine single bolts into new stack.  The tasks listed above would easily keep the Janitor busy full time within any fort.   Anyways the combining of single bolts would really help us.

What you are talking about is stacking, and stacking is a long-wished-for concept that was hoped to be part of the hauling rewrites.  It's currently impossible without a general stacking release, and if we had a stacking release, this would already be happening, anyway.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 03:30:54 am »

What you are talking about is stacking, and stacking is a long-wished-for concept that was hoped to be part of the hauling rewrites. ... ...
Just was adding the task of stacking to the janitor suggestion.  All the single bolts create lots of extra micro_management, so I hope the stacking task does arrive via any method to the game.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 05:34:34 am »

- Add a toggle to stockpiles to accept only (d)umped material (in combination with the other settings, so a wood stockpile with this enabled would only accept dumped wood.)
- Allow stockpiles to be placed over empty space (lets them drop items in shafts)

Now we can let the dwarves dump specific garbage in specific shafts.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 06:37:33 am »

The cleaning job REALLY needs to be improved. I almost some dwarves walk right past a bloodstain on a wall that had been there for months just to clean the blood right from under the heads of a couple dwarves being attacked by a giant cave spider. Thankfully, one of my militia dwarves punched it in the cephalothorax before those morons could get themselves killed, but still...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

DrunkenCaveOgre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 02:24:05 pm »

Just wait till Toady adds in toilets and dwarf poo
Pages: [1] 2